Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- There are reports (Daily Telegraph) in todays’ papers that Newcastle will offer Sam Allardyce â‚¤3M/year over four years to make him the third best paid manager in the league – behind only Ferguson and Mourhino.
Since the manager is so important to a club – it’s about time we paid them well – it’s the players who get paid too much – the responsibility of the manager is much higher than any player – and in business you are usually paid commensurate with your responsibility.
- Also reported in this same piece is that Bolton employ a 21 man back room staff including sports scientists, psychologists and IT experts. Bolton had only 40 hours indisposed with injury compared to 400 for Newcastle this season – and use all the latest football technology (good!).
Also great news is that Gary Speed is tipped to come back to Newcastle in a coaching capacity along with Neil McDonald, the Carlisle United manager. Both have previous ties with the club.
If Speed comes back – we hope he’ll be able to play – he may do a job for us next season.
- Looks like Peter Ramage may return in today’s game at Watford with a piece in the Evening Chronicle of last night. We like Peter a lot and the Ashington born center back always gives his best – even if now and again he makes some mistakes – but he’s still just 23.
However – Peter can become a good no-nonsense player for Newcastle in the future – but we like him at center back – not full back.
- A surprising piece in the News of the World says that Allardyce will attempt to unload Kieron Dyer, Scott Parker, Emre and Oba Martins. That doesn’t sound right – why unload Martins if Owen is leaving? – unless he plans to bring in some new striker.
It does say Mark Viduka from Middlesbrough will be Sam’s first signing – on a free – and that’s what we think Sam will do – bring in quite a few players without spending a fortune like Souness did. Mark is very injury prone – but nevertheless a good player.
The article indicates that Sam will get â‚¤15M up front (sounds right) and can reinvest any money he gets from transfers out.
If these players do go – it’ll change the whole complexion of our mid-field – and we’ll need a new captain.
- Shola Ameobi thinks Michael Owen will stay at Newcastle next season in a piece in today’s Sunday Sun. This story has legs and will have until Michael tells us of his intentions.
We hope he stays at the club and commits his future to us – that would be a huge boost for Newcastle and Allardyce.
- Finally a good positive piece on James Milner in the Evening Chronicle.
Milner has made 45 starts for the club this season with 7 substitute appearances and of course scored four spectacular goals.
We like James a lot and expect his contract will be extended by the club – he could become one of the great wingers ever at Newcastle and he epitomizes the fighting spirit and character needed to be great.
Also, remember he’s still only 21!
Those – briefly – are the major news stories today – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.