Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- Good article in the Guardian on what the make-up of Allardyce’s back-room staff will be at Newcastle. Obviously a lot of this is new for the Newcastle club – but we think it’s a good thing and probably why Bolton were so successful.
We’ll run our own piece on this later today – but here’s the Guardian article.
- Lots of reports that Newcastle will be after all kinds of players in the summer – but I guess no surprise there.
The key is trying to understand who Sam will really bring in and why.
One troubling report is that he’ll be after Joey Barton. With our past history that will hardly please Newcastle fans – but maybe Sam will be handle Joey – otherwise he will be out on his ear. But we think the latter may happen – and more bad publicity for us down the road.
- There’s a report in Tribal Football – via the People – that Sunderland and Newcastle battle for Middlesbrough’s Xavier. The right back is 34 years old – and with Sam taking over he is not concentrating at all on young players – and wants to bring in whoever is needed to shore up Newcastle immediately as a top six side.
Other players mentioned are Anelka, Fernandez and Knight from Fulham – a lot of these are players Newcastle have been interested in – in the past – so don’t know if these are just recycled stories.
- Expect Big Sam to be given the seal of approval by the Newcastle Board this afternoon – this is reported in the Journal article today.
We would expect Sam to be formally announced tomorrow or Wednesday.
We know all Newcastle fans don’t like the appointment – but we’ll need to get behind Big Sam – and we do believe some old friends will be returning to Newcastle – we’ll run a piece on that later today.
- There is a report that Steve Sidwell will sign for Chelsea – not a good move for him we believe – since there are top central midfield players he will need to battle against to get into the side. We wonder how many games he’ll get.
It’s a pity Newcastle couldn’t have sealed the deal for Steve – we’ll never know if we were as close as the press was saying a couple weeks ago – before Roeder was sacked.
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.