Allardyce Arrives at St. James – Talks about Owen

Sam Allardyce took over as Newcastle Manager this morning on a three year deal – and we believe he was the only manager Freddy Shepherd considered – even though other names were being banded around in the press.

As expected Sam said his first task was to have a good talk to Michael Owen – regarding his future at the club.

sam-allardyce.gif

Sam arrives at St. James’ Park

Sam will be on a three year contract – and not the four years widely reported last week.

Sam quickly talked about his new job at Newcastle:

“I suppose this is the greatest challenge I have ever had, but it is one I am excited about and one I am looking forward to,”
“It is no secret that what has happened in the past is not good enough for a club as big as Newcastle United, and it is now my job to change all that.”

“After leaving Bolton Wanderers I was expecting a longer rest, but once Freddy opened that door, I was in,”

“Whatever may or may not be said about Freddy Shepherd, when I met him in London on Friday, I could feel his passion for Newcastle United.

“He is a passionate supporter and it is well-known throughout football that he has always supported his managers. Now it is up to everyone from Freddy down to me, the players, the fans and even the tea lady to give these fans the success they deserve.”

Allardyce flew in by helicopter this morning to meet the players who have not yet started their summer break.

His first task will be to resolve Michael Owen’s future at St James’ Park.

“One of the first things I will be doing is sitting down with Michael Owen and having a little chat with him,”

“I will be asking him does he want to stay with us or go. Obviously I would like him to stay because he has that rare commodity of being able to score goals. What I think Michael needs is more time to get on track for us and hopefully he will decide to take it.

Welcome aboard Sam – you have a lot of work to do – and we’ll be hoping you can turn the club around – you’ll certainly get our 100% support.

• Amorn

May 15, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Welcome Sam. Hope you can turn this thing around.

• dinko

May 15, 2007 at 12:50 PM

I think that it is very important that Owen stays if he wants, but it is better to stay without him if he is not ready to give 100% for Newcastle. He is a world class, but Newcastle need players who will die at the field on every game. The truth is that he never said that he wants to go, but he also did not said that the rumors are not true. I like Michael Owen and I hope that he would be our player in the next seasons. I think that Sam would convinse him that Newcastle would be in top six next season. Also the fact is that we were with him all the time, during his injury. He should not do the same thing like Ronaldo did to Inter fans. So much from a big fan from Bosnia. Peace!

• Ed Harrison

May 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM

dinko – well said.
    We listened to the conference call – and Sam was great and very matter of fact on hoping Michael wanted to stay.
    My guess is that Owen will stay – and Sam certainly is very good with players – it’s going to be Sam’s revolution – my guess is that Owen will stay.

• Shaz

May 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I don’t think owen should stay.When he meets up with England team mates in the summer, they will be talking about Premier League trophy or Cup medals.Hopefully Stevie and Carra will be talking about another Champions league medal.What will Michael say-Next season we(newcastle) will be trying to get into a UEFA cup place.The guy deserves so much better.Newcastle won’t be anywhere near the top four next season,with or without Michael.

• Ed Harrison

May 15, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Shaz – I would think top 6 is target next year – and into UEFA cup.
    Also -we hope that Michael agrees to stay BEFORE he goes to England camp.
    Still think – from Owen’s view – it will be biggest kick in the teeth ever for Newcastle – if he leaves.
    Understand everything from Liverpool/ManU viewpoint – but if he wasn’t going to stay – he shouldn’t have signed – and especially because of his injuries – he hasn’t contributed to Newcastle one iota.
    If he is feeling guilty now – that will be nothing like what he’ll will feel if he moves in summer.
    He can always say about his stay at Newcastle (only if he leaves) –
    “Well I was always injured – but they got me fixed up good – then I left – because they weren’t in Europe – I did nothing to help them during those 2 seasons (when they paid me ₤11,000 in wages – for my 14 games) – but I must have European football – it’s my God given right”.
    We don’t believe Michael is that bad!

• dinko

May 15, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Michael is definitly a world class player who needs to play in Euro competition every year. But we trusted him,and we believed that after terrible injury,he would be as good as before. Becouse of that,I expect that if we trusted him then, now he should trust Sam, and his team mates too, that they would play better and finish in UEFA cup places. It may be funny to you, but in my opinion Chelsea will struggle to be in top four next season and why not, we could be there instead of them(I won´t stop to believe in our players never). And who´s that player if he doesn´t believe in him self,and his team. Alan Shearer was the greatest, but he didn´t go to Man.Utd. only to play in Champions league. He has stayed in his club and played in Champions league for Newcastle. If Michael doesn´t trust that he can prove his valuables here (although I think he can) then he should definitly go and take his money earned in Newcastle from his 15 apperances!!peace!

• W

May 15, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Michael Owen’s phone number Shaz – “800 731 8921”. Go on before Big Sam calls

• Ed Harrison

May 15, 2007 at 3:44 PM

dinko – well said – no argument from me – but if he goes it will be a stain on his character.

• Shaz

May 15, 2007 at 9:24 PM

I don’t want his phone number thanks W.As long as Rafa has it!I don’t think Michael really cares about what Geordies think of him.They shouldt have signed him up on those terms especially when they knew they were second choice.Because to be fair to Michael he was always injury prone.Newcastle took the risk.They can pay the price.

• Ed Harrison

May 16, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Shaz – sure we’ll find out about Owen’s intentions – within next day or two.
    Certainly before the end of the week !