Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- The major news today is that Newcastle will hold a press conference at 1:00PM BST at St. James Park today presumably top unveil Sam Allardyce as the new Newcastle Manager.
Let’s hope this is a start of a new and much better era at Newcastle under Sam – and let’s get right behind him.
We should learn a lot this week on who will be leaving Newcastle – the sooner we know the better.
- Lots of reports again that Allardyce will be bringing in new players. A number of Bolton players are mentioned including Anelka and Davies.
But do we really want Davies when we have Ameobi, Owen and Martins already?
- A good article in the Daily Mail – on Butt stating there are a number of Newcastle players who don’t seem to care whether they play for Newcastle or not.
Obviously a clear-out is on the cards – and good for Butt – that he has shown some leadership – but we also hope Sam doesn’t disrupt the squad too much – but of course that’s his option.
- Lots of reports that Oba Martins is leaving Newcastle. Two of the clubs mentioned are Valencia and Juventus – but we are concerned that Owen and Martins both have uncertain futures at the club. Of course Oba has reportedly gone missing and is AWOL – and perhaps he is one of the players Butt has mentioned.
We don’t want to lose too many of our good players – and bring in mediocre players – so a lot of these reports may be paper talk.
We would expect Martins to have a â‚¤15M price if he does go.
- Tribal Football reports (via Daily Mail) that Allardyce will keep coach Nigel Pearson at Newcastle.
We think this would be a good decision since Nigel has shown he is an excellent coach – and is the England under 21 coach right now.
- There is a report that Mark Viduka is considering signing his last contract with Middlesbrough. We have been linked with Viduka in the past – and we don’t think he would be too suitable at Newcastle – given the striking power we already have – so we expect him to sign for Middlebrough.
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.