Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
If truth be told there’s not too much new today – lots of news about all the players Sam is after – but not sure which have any truth to them – seems like we are after anybody that walks – as usual.
- Not surprising that James Milner was Newcastle’s top performer last season according to the Actim index. James had 366 points.
Next in line were Steven Taylor who was very close (363), Obafemi Martins (332), Scott Parker (279) and Nolberto Solano (250).
Here’s the report on Newcastle’s official web site.
- There’s a report on TeamTalk of the players Sam is looking to bring in. The list includes Mark Viduka (do we need him?), Sol Campbell, Ben Haim, Sam Hypia and Aston Villa”s Samuel. Here’s a link to the article – but as we know we should expect lots and lots of names right now – but once Sam gets one or tweo in – we should have an idea what he looks to do with the playing staff.
- Good news for our own 18 year old youngster James Troisi - who played for the Australian under 23′s and scored a goal in their 3-1 win over Iran. Here’s the report – again from the official site. It’s players like James that we’ll watch come through the ranks at Newcastle – the youth policy (which Sam supports) is very important to out future.
- One of our favorite players at Newcastle – the great Shay Given has commented on Newcastle’s opportunities under Sam Allardyce – we may run a piece on Shay later today – certainly if everyone at the club was as professional as Shay – we’d be doing great. One of the best signings ever for the club (credit to Dalglish – summer, 1997).
- Still no word on who will be on Sam’s back-room staff – and whether any of Nigel Pearson, Lee Clark or Terry McDermott will be retained.
We’d expect Lee to stay – you need to keep Newcastle born people – who have that passion – at the club. There were some reports yesterday that Nigel Pearson would also be kept.
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.