Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- A major news story reported in most papers is that Steven Taylor wants a new contract – which he was promised if he played a certain number of games last season – which apparently he did. Steven is quoted as saying he doesn’t want to be messed around.
While things will be delayed a bit because of the sacking of Roeder and the introduction of Allardyce we have to get these contracts sorted out – and Stephen is a BIG player of the future for Newcastle – no doubt.
Contracts also need sorting out for Sibierski and Solano – Sam has to decide quickly who he wants to keep.
- One or two reports that we will be getting Ben Haim (Bolton) – who is now a free agent and can play anywhere across the back line. Ben would be good buy for us – free agents are good – and as Sam has said we don’t need to pay huge fees for good players – we’re liking this already
If we get Haim why not pick up his countryman Yossi Benayoun – he has great potential and we were interested in him before he went to West Ham. We think that Sam can make him into a very good player – he certainly has the skill and his work rate is phenomenal.
If we brought in Yossi we could then sell Duff to Sunderland for â‚¤10M – or as much as we can get.
- What isn’t a news story today – which concerns us a little – is any word from Michael Owen
Since this is Sam’s number 1 priority we had hoped he would sort this one out quickly – and hopefully this week – the longer it goes the worse it looks for us.
But Sam has wisely said that Owen is not the only player he needs to talk to – he’s just one of a team – Michael shouldn’t expect special treatment from Big Sam.
- A good piece on Newcastle World TV on Sam talking about making St. James’ into a fortress again. If we can do that – and be good at home we’d pick up quite a few points next season.
- A piece making the rounds is that Gary Speed is backing Sam to whip Newcastle into shape quickly. He thinks Sam and Newcastle are very well suited and Gary says Big Sam is the best coach he ever worked under – praise indeed.
It would be nice if we can get Speed to Newcastle as player coach – player only for next season.
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.