Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- News story in the Newcastle Journal indicating that Harry Redknapp will resist offers for Sol Campbell – who still has a year left on his contract with Portsmouth. Harry is trying to sign Titus Bramble and Sylvain Distin (Manchester City) – both on free transfers. Why are we not interested in Distin?
If we cannot get Sol this year he would be available for a free next year – though we may not need him then.
- Reports that Bryan Robson will be named manager of Sheffield United this week. The impact on Newcastle is that Nigel Pearson was his right hand man at WBA and it’s likely Nigel will be offered the same role at Sheffield United. We’d like to see Nigel stay – but have no idea what Sam’s thinking is on Pearson.
Sam is currently on vacation in France – but we hope he is making lots of calls on his cell phone.
- Various small reports that Viduka will not be coming to Newcastle. Nothing much new here – other than it looks like Big Sam was never interested in Viduka in the first place. That’s the difficulty we have – it’s hard to know which reports have any truth in them – but nothing new there.
- Continuing reports that Big Sam is trying to raid Bolton for back room staff – including their fitness guru Mark Taylor. We’ll probably run our own piece on this today. It’s vital Sam gets the right people on his staff – particularly those that can get to the bottom of our injury fiasco.
- Reports that Tal Ben Haim favors a move to Newcastle rather than other clubs after him – including Chelsea. This adds top our confidence that Ben Haim is all but tied up by Sam. He’ll be a great addition to our squad and we like his no-nonsense approach to defending. Sam thinks he’s exactly what we need in the Newcastle defense – and for nothing – he’ll be a good buy. This looks like it may be an old story recycled.
Tal Ben Haim
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today on FA Cup Final day – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.