Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- Sky Sports is reporting that Portsmouth will sign Titus Bramble today – after Titus has already held talks with Celtic. Harry says that Titus is a good free transfer and he’s right but whether Bramble can make the team is debatable – but we wish him luck.
- Reports Obafemi Martins will be an imminent target for Juventus – who having walked away with Series B this last season and are obviously looking to reinforce their squad after losing so many players a year ago. IF Owen is staying then a bid of say â‚¤15M would be very attractive – I would take it – but only if Owen is staying – then invest it in one or two strikers. The concern though would be that Owen is injury prone and we wouldn’t have a suitable back-up – though I guess that could be solved with the transfer money we would get for Martins.
- Report in Sky Sports that Emre still has 3 years and has every intention of staying at Newcastle. It’s nice to hear players stating their desire to leave. Keep him and see what Sam can bring out of him – he’s obviously a talented player. Expect some players to be moved out in August – once Big Sam has had a look at them.
- Reports that Sam Allardyce contacted Michael Owen by phone last Thursday and told him of his plans to reform Newcastle both on and off the filed. Said to be met with a “positive” response from Michael – but presumably no commitment. Not sure what to make of this story other than it sounds feasible – but not sure why the club or Michael can’t tell the fans what’s happening – after all we pay Michael’s wages. The club may know Owen’s intentions – but we don’t.
- News that Antoine Sibierski has turned down Newcastle’s offer of a one year contract. We are surprised with this and are running our own story on this today.
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today on FA Cup Final day – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.