Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- The biggest news to hit Newcastle United yesterday is of course the main news story. Mike Ashley’s takeover attempt of the club. From initial reactions of our fans they seem extremely positive – and now the only barrier is getting Freddy to sell. We would point you to www.icnewcastle.co.uk for the local stories on this.
- Yesterday – as the news broke – we ran a number of reports on the deal – Billionaire Ashley In for Newcastle – plus we collected information (and a photograph of Mike himself) on Ashley titled Who Is Billionaire Mike Ashley?
- We also ran a short business review of Mike’s career Short Business CV on Billionaire Mike Ashley While we expect Freddy to eventually sell his shares – his initial reaction is one of defiance. – but if this continues we will mount something of a protest – at least from this web-site – to help move Shepherd out.
Now is the time for Freddy to go.
- Reports that Nobby Solano will sign a one year deal at Newcastle – so he will be here with us next year. This was not unexpected – but it’s good to see that business is ongoing at the club – and we are getting things done.
- Good report in the Evening Chronicle that Allardyce is to make a â‚¤5M swoop for Wigan’s Leighton Baines . This is not a new story – but a good one since Baines would be an excellent acquisition for our problem left back position. Maybe Baba will then be kept as a back up.
Also the Ashley takeover – should it be successful – will end the Michael Owen saga – and will make Newcastle a much easier club to attract talent to – during the summer transfer window.
Those then – briefly – are the major news stories today – let us know your thoughts and opinions on these.