News in the Sun is that Sam would like to sign Liverpool’s Robbie Fowler – who is available on a free transfer since being released by Liverpool recently.
Most fans will not think this a particularly good deal – but we think there could be more upside than downside if we can get Robbie.
Here’s some reasons why we think the acqusition of Robbie Fowler at Newcastle would be a smart deal for Allalrdyce:
- Fowler is a talented and natural goalscorer – who has only just turned 32 in April – not too old for a footballer these days
- Sam has shown the ability to bring the best out of older players – so in that way it is a typical Allardyce signing.
- An excellent learning opportunity for our youngsters to train alongside an experienced and committed professional
- It’s a good price – a free – for a player nearing the end of his career
- Michael Owen has lots of experience playing with Fowler so they would gel immediately
- Fowler will be fitter at Newcastle than he’s been in years – which has hampered him at Manchester City and Liverpool
Allardyce has already warned Newcastle fans not to expect all big name signings – and one thing Sam seems determined to have is a bigger (and better) squad so any injuries can be better absorbed by the club. However, a Fowler acquisition is exactly what Roeder said he wouldn’t do – bring in someone past their prime.
We were short on numbers last year without doubt – and with the injury problems we encountered were badly hit – and it showed in the results.
Building up the squad with smart buys like this one is the way Sam has operated in the past and we cannot expect him to suddenly change his spots.
This will be controversial – so let’s have your comments.