Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority. There are a number of new stories in the press related to Newcastle this morning – most of them are good news for us.
- News that Sam Allardyce is on the verge of his first signing – with Ghana International midfielder Derek Boateng on his way to Newcastle for under â‚¤1M. Also in the story is news that Ben Haim actually wants to come to Newcastle – and this looks like being true and consistent with what we were saying over a week ago. These two signings will be good news for our supporters.
- We have so far ignored the story that David Beckham may want to come to Newcastle. We really cannot see Posh Spice wanting to live in Newcastle – but the story – as they say – has legs. We know Big Sam would love Beckham but David has signed a deal with the LA Galaxy and would think he would pull out of it. Anyway here’s the story.
- A piece in the Daily Mail says that we will be willing to sell Scott Parker to West Ham for â‚¤7M – and either take Reo-Coker in part exchange or get Joey Barton – who could be bought at a cut price – given his antics late last season at Manchester City. If this is true it looks like Big Sam wants a new midfield at Newcastle – as well as a new defense. Apparently Scott has failed to settle on Tyneside – and if that is the case it’s probably best that he leave. As far as Barton is concerned we have to assume Sam knows what he’s doing.
Scott Parker and Joey Barton
- With WBA failing to win promotion to the Premiership it’s not a surprise that Curtis Davis, their captain is in the spotlight. The price is quoted as â‚¤10M – which seems very high since Curtis is no better than our own Steven Taylor. He’s a good player – but not sure he would be a good buy at that price. Here’s the piece in the Daily Mail.
- Various news stories about Steven Garrard wanting Michael Owen to join up again at Liverpool. We’re not sure Benetiz is that keen – but it looks like Michael is willing to let these stories play out in the press – to the dismay of many of Newcastle’s fans. Our view is if Michael wants to leave – he should leave.
Ben Haim and Derek Boateng
Let us know your thoughts and opinions on these stories.