You canâ€™t accuse Big Sam of letting the grass grow beneath his feet â€“ and he certainly has a number of players he is after â€“ some of which look very likely to join Newcastle.
We thought weâ€™d look at the most likely candidates to join Newcastle United during the summer.
The first group are those that seem almost certain to be coming to Newcastle
Mark Viduka, Tal Ben Haim and Derek Boateng
- Mark Viduka â€“ Almost a certainty from Middlesbrough on a free transfer. Mark – who is 31 – will give us some thrust and experience up front and will be able to combine well with Owen or Martins. Free transfer
- Tal Ben Haim â€“ Another free transfer and Tal is just 25 years old and a solid center back. He will be excellent to shore up our shaky back 4 â€“ which will be much less shaky next season. Can play anywhere across the back four when required
- Derek Boeteng â€“ Less than â‚¤1 and a robust midfielder â€“ currently playing for Beitar Jerusalem FC in Israel. Derek – who is 24 – can play the attacking midfield role
Note that the 3 players above will cost together less than â‚¤1M 😀
The next group are those that seem likely to be coming to Newcastle
Leighton Baines and Joey Barton
- Leighton Baines â€“ A good young player currently at Wigan and 22 years old. Got a great left foot and will plug that problem left back position for us. The price is being quoted around â‚¤5M – he’s worth it and will only get better under Big Sam
- Joey Barton â€“ We do have competition for Joey â€“ surprisingly enough. He has a bad reputation for blowing up both on and off the field. Much debate from Newcastle fans as to whether he would be a good buy. Nobody questions his ability â€“ just his temperament â€“ but Sam should be able to handle him â€“ otherwise we believe he wouldnâ€™t go after him. He’s 24 years old
The final group are those that are only probable at this stage but gives us an idea of the type of player Big Sam is after.
Curtis Davis, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Luca Neill, Reo-Coker and Peter Crouch
- Curtis Davis – from WBA is a young center back who has played for England under 21s. Quite expensive at â‚¤10M – but can only get better at Newcastle – and we assume that Sam has the money to spend ion him – even at that price. Just turned 22
- Eidur Gudjohnsen has been mentioned often – although his father wants him to stay in Spain. Currently at Barcelona and 28 years old – and not getting many games. Would be a good deal atâ‚¤8M
- Lucas Neill – Currently at West Ham but has been linked with a move to join Mark Viduka at Newcastle – would be a solid right back for us – and add some experience to the team. Played well for West Ham at the end of the season and just turned 29
- Reo Coker – Some news reports today that he actually wants to join Sam at Newcastle – although that’s from the Sun. If Reo-Coker comes in then somebody else – in addition to Parker would need to leave. Just turned 23
- Peter Crouch – 26 years old and at least mentioned in the past as being a potential at â‚¤10M – but now appears he will stay at Liverpool. Getting another forward probably dependent on what Owen does
Let’s know your opinions on these players – and who else we should move for – none of these are too expensive and if â‚¤45M is really available we could go for one or two world class players.