Sam Allardyce is starting to identify the players he is bringing into the club for next season but we believe there are still some players who need to be moved out.
This may not happen until August after Sam has had a look at some of them. Of course before then some players may seek pastures anew – once they know they will not be part of Sam’s plans for next season.
Here are the players that were let go by Sam – shortly after he took over at Newcastle â€“ we thought at the time they were the right players to be shown the door (and still do).
Titus Bramble, Pavel Srnicek, Craig Moore, Olivier Bernard and Oguchi Onyewu
- Titus Bramble – Had 5 years at the club – signed for $5M from Ipswich by Bobby Robson – made a total of 156 senior appearances for the club and scored seven goals â€“ but made many mistakes that cost Newcastle goals and points
- Pavel Srnicek – Geordie Pavel signed again late last year to fill in for Given and Harper – made one appearance last season – a little surprising we let him go since we think Tim Krul may go out on loan next season. May need to bring in a third keeper in the summer
- Craig Moore – Signed from Borussia MÃ¶nchengladbach two years ago on a free by Souness – was good when he was fit but missed far too many games for us through injury. A good player if he can be kept fit – he made only 29 starts and a single sub appearance over two seasons for Newcastle
- Olivier Bernard – Signed on September 1st last year when we had failed to bring in defenders by the previous day’s transfer deadline. Never played for the first team again â€“ and was a mystery player (or non-player) last season. Very strange signing for us – made 117 starts and 26 sub appearances for the club and scored six goals
- Oguchi Onweyu – Signed on loan at the end of January from Standard Leige â€“ but lost his place after six games and was therefore not expected to get a contract from the club. A current USA International – Gooch made 7 starts and 4 sub appearances for us last season. Assume he will return to Standard Leige
The other player who seems to be moving imminently is our captain Scott Parker to West Ham. This is a surprising move â€“ but we have to think itâ€™s because his wife and family are finding it difficult to settle in the North East. A committed player for us we will be sorry to see him leave.
Note: The news today is that Scott has indeed signed for West Ham.
Captain Scott Parker – a good player!
We also believe there will not be room in the squad for the following players once Sam has brought in all the players he feels he needs to boost the current squad.
Stephen Carr, Celestine Babayaro and Kieron Dyer
- Stephen Carr – Signed from Tottenham for about â‚¤2M Stephen has never reached his old Tottenham form at Newcastle. He is also guilty of making some poor defensive plays that can lead to goals against us. May be kept as a squad player – but if that’s the case we expect him to leave
- Celestine Babayaro – Injured far too often and has been only average for Newcastle since Souness signed him 30 months ago from Chelsea for about â‚¤1M. Similar to Carr above – could be a back-up – but probably would move on in that case
- Kieron Dyer – We feel that either Dyer or Emre will not be with us at the start of next season. Take your pick – but we would want to keep Emre. Dyer has never fulfilled his promise at Newcastle – very similar to his ex-Ipswich colleague Bramble – and after 9 years at the club – Sam could move him out and get a reasonable fee for him. Looks like Boateng and Barton will move in to replace Parker and Dyer – and we’ll make some money on these transactions
Since we had too small a squad last year we feel Sam will want to keep the other players. We do have a very good bunch of youngsters coming through and some of them may be sent out on loan for next season. Some of the youngsters – like Huntington and Edgar – could deputize in the first team a few times next season – so that decision on what to do with the more experienced youngsters will need to be made before August.
With the players Sam is bringing into the club – the squad will be much stronger next year.
Any players we did not mention – like N’Zogbia and O’Brien – we would keep.
We like both these players – who will get a chance to prove themselves with Duff out injured.
Let us know what you think – who have we missed out?