Major Newcastle News Stories – June 3rd, 2007

Here are some of the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority. There is a lot of transfer speculation associated with Newcastle and also news on the takeover by Mike Ashley.

nufc-brand.gif

• Albert Luque is reported in the Sunday Sun to have lodged a civil court claim for 2.1 million Euros (£1.4 million) against Deportivo La Coruna.Luque says he is owed the money from the transfer fee paid by Newcastle for him on August 31st, 2005. Luque said:

“The Deportivo president, Augusto Cesar Lendoiro, told me the transfer was 14 million Euros, so I have the right to 2.1 million Euros,” “I have tried to contact Lendoiro many times about this, but it was impossible. In August 2006, I sent a fax to the club claiming my money, and never had an answer.”

Of course we all know Luque deserves the money given his contribution to Newcastle. 🙁

albert-luque.jpg

Albert Luque

• Reports today that former Arsenal Vice-chairman David Dein.Will be a target of Mike Ashley to come to Newcastle should he be successful with his takeover attempt. While at Arsenal Dein was severely criticized by Sam Allardyce and it would be hard to see how both could work together at Newcastle. The Sunday Sun suggests Arsene Wenger could be a target for Ashley were Dein to come to Newcastle – that’s interesting.

arsene-wenger.jpg

Arsene Wenger to Newcastle?

• We have an update on the Ashley takeover as other parties seem interested in bidding for Newcastle PLC – and Shepherd continues to be awkward and is resisting the takeover. We really hope this takeover gets settled quickly in Ashley’s favor – who is meeting with Shepherd and the Board again this coming Tuesday.
  • freddy-shepherd-21.jpg

Freddy Shepherd

• We have a transfer update on Baines, Ben Haim and Viduka today – all may not be as it seems – although we think most of this is paper-talk. Wish we would complete some of these transfers – hopefully that will start Monday when Allardyce is at his desk at Newcastle.
    leighton-baines-2.jpg

Leighton Baines

• Finally news that David Beckham will not be going out on loan to Newcastle or anybody else in January. David talks about his comeback in the England side. We cannot help thinking that David – who seems so mature these days – may have made a mistake is signing for the LA Galaxy in the MLS. He’s just too good to be playing in that class of football. Big news in the US on David’s comeback for England and they are showing England’s goal – what a goal !
    But they are still looking forward to Beckham starting for the Galaxy in July.

david-bekham.jpg

David Beckham

We always appreciate your comments on our news stories.

• Soren

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:12 AM

I can honestly say I would be very sad to see Arsene Wenger at Newcastle 🙁
    I don’t like his arrogance and he doesn’t even want to play with english players. Also funny with luque, demanding large sums of money for what? being sold to us?

• Gordon

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Come on Shepherd, do what you know is best for the club and stop being selfish!

• Ed Harrison

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Soren – exactly right with Luque – what a cheek !

• Greg B

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:51 PM

In Luque’s defence Im pretty sure he is entitled to his percentage of the transfer fee. Totally agree that he’s done nowt for the Toon (aside from the Palermo goal) but his gripe is with Deportivo not us. If he was demanding 2mil Euros from us then thats a different story, he was a cracking player for Deportivo, Spanish international and had interested Barcelona before he signed for us.
    Im very surprised a Spanish side hasnt come back in for him as he was a good consistant performer in the Spanish league.

Im pretty sure Wenger will not come to Newcastle, if anywhere he may end up at Madrid.

The Ashely thing is a strange one, why is Shepherd so reluctant to sell to him? I must admit I dont know a great deal about the bloke, I know he owns several sports companys and has his finger in several pies (adidas, Umbro etc) but its the near 2 Billion fortune that makes his appointment sound attractive to me, a huge transfer kitty and the thought of what Romans millions did for Chelsea – thats the only reason, hell the guy may be a complete a$$ for all we know.

• Arthur Prince

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Are we in cloud cockoo land with all these press repors of David Dein and Arsene Wenger etc etc . For goodness sake let Sam get on with hi job. He has hardly been in the seat due to his own Holiday which the poor bloke is entitled to . Talk about pressure !!
    I cant stand it at the moment the transfer window is open and not only have we sold all our Squad but we are linked with everyone including a new manager !!!!! Is it the full moon or what .

• Greg B

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:41 PM

According to sky sports Barton is a done deal on the proviso that Parker completes his move to West Ham.
    I personally dont understand this move at all. Dont get me wrong Parker to West Ham is a good bit of business but for me Barton is not the solution as his replacement.
    We got rid of the likes of Bellamy and Bowyer and to a lesser extent Robert due to their bad boy images, are we really at a stage where out best option is to sign an outspoken, violent individual who in my opinion is big trouble for the club.
    Fair enough the lads a good football player but Sam will definatley have his work cut out with this one, hell Psyco himself found the only option was to hoy him out of City!

• Steve Mills

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Looks like the Barton deal is done now. Parkers agreed personal terms with West Ham. Apparently Viduka is back from holiday next week, so that should be quick.

• lee

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:28 AM

David Dein at Newcastle would be the best thing to have happened to this club since we won the Fair Cup… past Chairmen made worng managerial appointments over that time with the exeption of KK and BR, so it is not just the managers but the chairmen appointments are also crucial if we want to be global household name. Look at Chelsea… Abramovich started his ‘revolution’ from the very top, not the players… that comes naturally right once we sort out the top first. In Newcastle’s condition, that means changing the old guards… the shareholders, then the chairman, then the manager and the backroom staff, then we can speculate who the right players should be… if the club wants to be a global powerhouse, it needs to be run professionally 100%, club and fans alike… learn how the top 4 clubs are run rather than bad-mouthing their management and players… that won’t get us anywhere… but at the same level as we have aways been in the past 40 years. Arsene Wenger can be good at Newcastle, regardless how arrogant he is… he is nothing compared to Ferguson and Mourinho! Arrogant players…. I can think of a few… Drogba, Henry, Ronaldo.. in we only want nice players, then go for the nice but non-performing ones… 99% of EPL players. If we only want domstic players at the club, then be prepared to stay in the lower half of the Premiership every single season for the next 30 years, until of course England might finally win the World Cup.

• AndyT

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:51 AM

Luque – I bet it was dependant on appearances – he probably hasn’t made them yet :o)
    David Dein at Newcastle wont happen. There’s a reason he is holding onto his Arsenal shares – he’s looking to put together a team to takeover. I don’t think he’d go to any other club – more likely to take a city appointment in the mean time.
    Dont hold your breath on a quick takeover. First the share offer has to be officially comunicated etc. The board will be making a recomendation some time this week. After that the official communication of the offer will be made and the details sent to shareholders. I’ve had the notification that my shares are subject to offer, but not the actuall offer documentation – so thats a good few weeks away from seeing if Ashley even gets to the 50%. If the city think there’s a significant chance of a higher offer out there then bank on them to hold their positions.
    Transfers – because the takeover will take a while – expect Sam to tie up a couple of small value and free transfers – it will be August before you see any big money signings. He’s going to have the Parker money and whatever budget he had been agreed by FFS before Ashley turned up.
    Beckham – will be too busy promoting soccer in the US during their break to go on loan.

• lee

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Andy T – here’s an interesting question… since you are a shareholder.. I wish I was :-/. Is Ashley’s takeover price good enough and would you prefer a complete takeover. I guess shareholders don’t think alike, or do you? And I think what most fans want to know is… what’s the worst thing that can happen with the takeover bid?… and how would that affect the club’s squad-rebuilding under the new manager?

• AndyT

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Lee – I’d give him the shares for nowt, although I can’t see my 0.0000001% making that much of a difference either way.

I didn’t by them as an investmenr I bought them because I’ve loved NUFC since I was a kid (Started going to St James Park with my Dad in 1979). I bought them because it made me feel good to know that I owned a part of the club I loved. And right now Ashley is the best oppertunity I have seen for NUFC in a long time.

Bit late now – but I bought my shares a few years ago for 25p each and the £12.50 transaction fee was a sizable percentage of the deal :o) – you don’t need to be a billionaire to be a shareholder. To me the differences between a £1 and a £1.25 offer is the difference between £500 and £650 – Nice to have an extra £125 – but something I’d give up for NUFC to have a future without Freddy Shpeherd.

However the average investment manager doen’t give a flying proverbial about the long term future of the club, he’s looking at how much money he can make because his responsability is to the people who have asked him to invest their money so they get a decent pension etc. About 8% of NUFC is owned by these guys. So there you are talking about the difference between £10M and £12.5M. If your pension manager turned around and told you that he could have made you richer when you retire, but that the feelings of – Oh lets be controversial – Sunderland AFC were more important than your retirment fund…..
    For the Fat Controller at Newcastle it is also about a £7.5M difference.
    What will be the key is how quickly any counter offer materialises. Because there is a GARUNTEED £10M on the table from Ashley for the investment managers rahter than the speculation and potential that has been there for a while. People have looked at NUFC in the past and it is a prime candidate to be bought out, which is why the city has a decent slice. If there isn’t a relatively detailed counter offer on the table by the time the decision deadline is reached for Ashleys offer I’m sure that the investment managers will take it. And if there is, then we’ll know a lot more about what the options are anyway. For example if someone made and offer to buy the company for £1.25 a share and also say that they will invest £500M into the team over the next 3 years – would FFS still be a greedy C%&* – or does that make Ashley look like a tightwad?

• AndyT

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Started rambling a bit there.

I would like to see a complete takeover and de-listing of the company.
    I think the worst thing that could happen is that Ashley gets all but FFS’s shares and there is a powerless board. I don’t think that will happen because the fallout for the Sheperd familly as a whole will be unbearable.