Joey Barton Joining Newcastle To Win Trophies

Joey Barton looks certain to join Newcastle, probably later today – and he gave an interview to the Evening Chronicle this morning – where he talks of his reputation and his ambition to win trophies.
Obviously Joey is coming to the right place. 😀

joey-barton-31.jpg

Joey Barton

Here’s what Joey had to say this morning:

“Through my trials and tribulations the fans (Manchester City) have backed me, not all of them but a lot of them have backed me,”
“They obviously all know who they are and for me to come on and talk about going elsewhere is degrading to them. “We have achieved nothing at Man City and I think of the fan base there and the support structure within the club – the club should be achieving”. “I spoke out publicly about it and everyone knows my opinion on it – I don’t need to go there again.

“But I want to win trophies and I think as a footballer you are not judged on the amount of money you’ve got in the bank or the amount of houses you’ve got, or the amount of flash watches or cars you’ve got, you’re judged on your trophies and your accolades at the end of your playing career.”

“It is disappointing that people have a certain opinion of me but I meet countless people who, in all aspects of my life, will testify ‘you’re not the person you’re made out to be’.

“At certain times I don’t do myself any favors with incidents but to make out I’m some kind of yob, some kind of psychopath for want of a better word, is so far from the truth it’s unreal.”

Well we certainly hope Joey is not like his reputation – but you cannot help but agree with people’s perception of him when you read about his behavior.
But if Joey starts to perform on the field – the Newcastle fans will forgive him – but he should be warned now that any misbehavior at Newcastle – and he should be immediately dismissed from the club.
We just cannot go backwards and allow the stupidity of players that went on with some players during Sir Bobby Robson’s reign.

So welcome Joey – and we sure hope it’s true you are keen to alter people’s perceptions of you – we’re with you on that one!

• Valle

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I havnt seen that much of Barton, so tell me is he def or att midfielder?

• STEPHEN

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Barton is an all round midfiels player with great ability, he can tackle, pass, head and more importantly he can score goals. Something that newcastle have been missing in a central midfielder since Rob Lee!

• James

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

He wants to do what?

• Chris

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:59 PM

HE IS A MIDFIELDER

• És

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:01 PM

I don’t know, but I think he is more than an attacking midfielder than a defensive midfielder. but I am very sad that Parker most leave, I can promise u Newcastle fans that he would have shined with Big Sam as manager ;).

• Valle

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:14 PM

ok Chris i will try to phrase my question in full lengt for ur sake only is he a DEFENSIVE or ATTACKING midfielder?

• Phil P

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:21 PM

I’d say hes a box to box midfielder Valle, he gets all over the pitch a bit like how Parker used to. Him and Emre should work well together I hope, hes got more end product and attacking flair than Parker ever had

• Andreas TB

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Attacking.

If you only judge him on the field he would be a great transfer. So let pray that Sam can treat him well.

• Simon

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Win trophy’s? Is he insane?

Newcastle will never win anything apart from the award for throwing away a Premiership title in spectacular style!

• Ed Harrison

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:27 PM

James – somehow i think you are laughing at the headline – could i be right?

• Ed Harrison

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Simon – some of us Newcastle fans will always live in everlasting hope – actually we think it’s possible with Sam and especially if Ashley comes in with his millions (or should i say billions).

• Ed Harrison

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Valle – Barton is very good attacking mid-fielder – a really good player. It’s his temperament mos people are concerned about – we hope Sam can handle him – if so he will be a good buy. But still sorry to see Parker go.

• RickCollins

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:40 PM

With the new defensive talent Big Sam is lining up, I sure that we will not miss Parker’s tackling & holding ability in the middle of park. What Barton has more of, is the ability to control the game from the centre and push forward. So whilst I to am sad to see Scott Parker leave, I reckon Barton will give our attack more teeth.
    Something which was sadly lacking for a lot of last season.

• Valle

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Ed… If he is attacking im guessing he will play alongside Butt, but though i think Butt has had a great season i would really like to see us by a midfield enforcer to.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Valle – I believe Sam will also bring in Derek Boateng – he looks like a defensive mid-fielder and under 1M – but comments about him on this site say he’s very good.
    Here’s an article on him. http://nufcblog.com/allardyce-ready-to-make-first-two-signings-for-newcastle/

• Steve Mills

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Sam seems to spending the money wisely before the takeover is sorted. If he can bring in Barton, Baines, Viduka, Rozehnal, Ben Haim and Boeteng. £15 Million, and if we get £8.5 for Parker then its pretty good business. Do you think he is saving his pennies for the serious shopping?

• Billy

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Allerdyce has always had a good eye for decent players and if he can sore deuoff out, which he did, then Barton will be no problem. I buy my season ticket every year on the hope we will win something, and i know we will, hopefully under Allerdyce. lets stop slagging the club of and get behind everyone who is trying to make it better. I’m looking forward to next season already and i’m convinced Owen will stay too.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:27 PM

steve =- yes – think that he is going ahead right now to get a strong squad – then if Ashley comes in he’ll maybe go after 2-3 players for big bucks – the players he is getting will be good and they’ll perform for Sam – or else. Obviously they know what he’s like so they’re willing participants – which is good. When they start training early next month – it’s going to be an exciting time too.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Billy – well said.

• kieran

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:56 PM

out of parker and barton who do u rate the highest and why?personly i think barton is commited to the club more than parker and wants to win stuff with us

• matt w

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM

i agree with you kieran, barton is a better footballer than parker because:
    1: barton has got a decent range of passing, parker doesnt
    2. barton is a better finissher than parker, in and out of the box
    3. barton will drive the team forward, parker seems to slow down any forward momentuim so we end up going side ways or safely backwards

i like parker, i jus dont think he is good enough in any oarticular department of his game to be a loss; barton is a driving CM and only really thinking about possitive, to keep a high tempo flow to the game