Barton Meets with Allardyce, Shepherd and Ashley

News today that when Joey Barton was in Newcastle yesterday he met with Sam Allardyce at St. James Park and then went to visit Freddy Shepherd at his home in Jesmond. Both made him feel he was really wanted by the club and Joey was only too pleased to commit to Newcastle.

freddy-shepherd-3.jpg

Current Chairman Shepherd

The other bit of potential good news is that Mike Ashley was also in town yesterday – and Joey met with Mike. Maybe that’s a sign that Shepherd and Ashley have reached some agreement – but perhaps that’s only our wishful thinking.

mike-ashley.jpg

Potential New Owner Mike Ashley

This is what Joey had to say about his meetings yesterday.

“I have given my word to Newcastle United and that is where I hope I will be going.
“Everybody knows they are a club of great history and tradition – and that is great – but what has also been great for me is that they have pushed the boat out for me, and both Freddy Shepherd and Sam Allardyce have made me feel so wanted.”
“I am not proud of some of the things I have done and know I have brought a lot of my problems on myself. But I want to be a winner, not only for myself, but for the fans.
“I have heard it said that footballers are all about flash cars and expensive watches, but for me, it is all about winning medals and it hurts me that I haven’t any.”

joeybarton1.jpg

New Capture Joey Barton

We always like players who want to play for Newcastle and it certainly looks like Joey has the right attitude.If his meeting with Mike Ashley means that the Board will recommend the takeover to share-holders that is even more good news for fans.
Let’s hope that’s what it means – because if it is – we’ll win that trophy soon.

😀

• Cathal

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:54 PM

hopefully he wont end up in jail, he could be the new gerrard if he puts his head to it!!

• Cathal

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:03 PM

doesn anybody have any idea what this clause in the contract, relating to whether barton goes to jail, is about??? i.e. what happens if he does go to jail, do we get the 5.5million back or whats the story?? any ideas??

• jacobmannjones

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Barton is a good start to the transfer period; though there is still much work to do for Allardyce before this team is ready to challenge for a spot in Europe next term. Hopefully this is just the beginning and we can see some signings such as Ben Haim, Leighton Barnes, & Boateng rather shortly…

• Alex Brett

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I think the clause will be if he goes to jail he will be suspended without pay!!! as its his fault he would be there its not like he would be injured!!!
    I dont think he will go anyway and he is a quality signing!!! a better all round player than Parker, Parker’s form dipped because he was told to get forward more when he should have just sat in front of the defence, he couldn’t pass long either and had no creativity!!!! Barton will bring us more and is younger!!!

• Ed Harrison

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Looks like Shepherd will sell his shares if he can stay on as Chairman of Newcastle. OK – but isn’t it time we had a decent Chairman?

• Arthur Prince

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:07 PM

• Arthur Prince

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM

The scenarioof FS as Chairman having sold out to MA shouldnt be a problem as long as BSA is allowed to mangae and tellthe Chairman what players he wants in and ut etc . The funding comes from MA who I anm sure would oversee where it is being spent etc so the Chairmanship of Day to Day running is less important than the Manager and the Man behind the Money . It allows BSA to get on with things ASAP .Lets hope it can all be resolved soon

• Billy

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Allardyce has always had a good EYE for decent players, lets hope Barton doesn’t put a cigar in it.

• Evan

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM

hahahaha

• Ed Harrison

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Arthur – it’s probably a good solution for a year or so – and it adds stability to the club in the interim – to be truthful i’m just glad Shepherd is apparently selling his shares – and Mike Ashley can now get on with it – buy the club – and have a talk to Allardyce – which it looks like he may already have done. So bottom line is this will give us stability. I may put something out tomorrow on this – but first want to ensure it’s real – waiting for an official announcement.
    Nice to see England win – and Michael score.

• GraemeR

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM

What a nightmare – FAT FREDDY LIVES – just hope that Ash is canny enough to leave the Fat One with no real clout.

What angers me most is the useless bafoon is still taking money out of the club even after he has be ousted.

I notice a huge gap in the EMO saga – thought he might mention his intentions re NUFC after the Estonia game – although after the last couple of showings he is not the player he once was (said that about Wor Alan a couple of times also )

Anyway – beer taking effect now – hopefully tomorrow will be another day and FF will do the honourable thing and leave – my CV is on its way – after all how difficult can it be !!!!!!

• reggie22

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:51 PM

everyone needs a player of joeys ability he reminds me of Gerrard obviously not as good but the possibilities r there the lad is quality and some 1 i can see at toon for many years cos he has something u cant buy abroad and that is total passion so he is no stop gap he is the real deal and trust me there is no player that could be attracted to newcastle that will prove more worth than him over the next 6-7 seasons so lets behind the lad look at what reception we gave owen but i fear his heart is still not in it but joeys commitment could never be questions new captain in the next 2 seasons ? i think so …………

• reggie22

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:55 PM

i wouldnt suprise if he is just lettin him stay to get the shares deal done bye bye freddie well thats what im hopin anyway !!!!!!!!

• lee

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:02 AM

Ed- I am sure Ashley includes a get-out clause in Shepherd’s new contract… which says that if I am not happy with your face, you have 1 month to pack your bag. And Shepherd probably agrees because he thinks that Ashley likes him too much. Only time will tell. Good news that Joey Barton finally signs, still waiting for Viduka and Tal Ben Haim to follow. Together with Given, they will form the spine of the Allardyce era.

• […] RSS ← Barton Meets with Allardyce, Shepherd and Ashley […]

• Tony

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:56 AM

I think FFS staying on is just the last convulsions of a dying beast. FFS is too in love with the power to want to leave from his hospital bed, he wants the show of the handover, which in his mind will cement, what boxers like to call, the legacy. FFS would probably think this will make him the noble benefactor passing our beloved club onto the ‘not-Geordie-but-at-least-English-Abramovich’. Fortunately, us Geordies didn’t come in with the last sea-fret and Shepherd will not find his place in the list of benevolent Geordie benefactors, but his name will rank with the McKeag’s and the Seymour’s (of the early 80’s that is).

I just can’t see FFS being chairman longer than next season, but it may give Big Sam the continuity he is looking for, don’t forget Sam has been negotiating with FFS for some time, so if having Jabba at the helm for another year will help Allardyce feel more comfortable, I’m all for it.