Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The big news is that we may be after Craig Bellamy from Liverpool – and Allardyce has stated he has no power to keep Michael Owen if Michael wants to trigger the release clause in his contract.
- The News of the World is reporting that Sam Allardyce is going after Craig Bellamy of Liverpool. Wow. We are running our own story on this – it seems very strange and may even mean Michael Owen is indeed leaving Newcastle.
- News in the Sunday Mirror that Sam Allardyce is powerless to stop Michael Owen leaving Newcastle by his release clause – if Owen wants to leave. Apparently the release clause amount decreases by 25% each year so it’s now about half the â‚¤17M we paid for him. If Michael wants to go – get rid of him now – that’s our view – we are getting sick of this story. If he does go he will not be welcomed back at Newcastle – that’s for sure.
- A very good story on Times Online about Sam’s new approach at Newcastle. In this story there is a mention (that’s all) to Sam being interested in Luke Young from Charlton. It’s a very good article for Newcastle fans to read.
- As we reported yesterday there are negotiations with Tal Ben Haim going on over the weekend and we expect him to become a Newcastle player today or tomorrow. The reports suggest he got sick of waiting for Chelsea – but we don’t believe it. Ben Haim is happy to come to join Sam’s Newcastle revolution and work with Sam Allardyce again – and he’s just the type of player we need at the back. The fact he has worked with Sam before will also help the Newcastle players.
- We have an extended report on Nobby Solano’s dealings with Peru and their new coach Uribe. It does seem that Nobby wants to return to play for Peru – but we’re not sure that’s good for either Nobby or Newcastle – given all the travel it will involve.
- We are also running a piece today on the hold-up in Joey Barton’s transfer to Newcastle. Holding out for a â‚¤300K loyalty bonus from Manchester City is not the thing Joey should be doing right now. He needs to make the transfer happen quickly – before Newcastle have any second thoughts.
We’d appreciate your comments on the above news stories.