Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
- News today that Sam Allardyce is annoyed about the hold-up in Joey Barton’s transfer. While Sam says he shouldn’t comment he does – and says that Manchester City brought Joey up the youth ranks and now are getting Â£5M for him. He thinks they should pay the Â£300K money out to Joey – which he was contractually entitled to if he was sold without asking for a transfer. Sam’s obviously frustrated at the delay.
- We run our own piece today on the transfers of Ben Haim, Rosehnal and Baines – all of which we think will go through. We expect the first two to be completed before the end of the week. We think these will all be good buys for Newcastle.
Ben Haim, Rosehnal and Baines
- England Under 21s started their campaign yesterday in Holland and drew with the Czech Republic 0-0. Here’s a report on the game. United’s James Milner played the opening 64 minutes before being replaced by Lita. Lita – of Reading – then put his 87th minute penalty wide of the target after David Nugent had forced a handball in the area. Looks like they should have won with that penalty – there’s no greater sin with a penalty than not making the goalkeeper have to save it.
Taylor, Milner and Krul
- Spanish forward Fernando Torres is the latest name linked with a move to Tyneside, according to the Daily Mirror article. The Magpies, along with Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham are said to be weighing up a Â£15M bid for the 23-year-old. We’re not sure Newcastle are really interested to be quite honest but the price seems reasonable for such a great player – and he’s only gopng to get better. We’ll have to wait and see on this one.
- News that Tottenham boss Martin Jol will rival Sam Allardyce in the battle to sign Barcelona’s French winger Ludovic Giuly. It’s in the Daily Mirror – so at least it looks like we’re really in for Giuly – the 30 year old winger who looks a bargain at Â£1.5M.
- Finally one player who looks like he’s not coming to Newcastle is Kevin Nolan of Bolton. He again tells the Manchester Evening News that he’s happy at Bolton and doesn’t have any desire to leave. We think that’s true.
We’d appreciate your comments on the above news stories.