Rosehnal Nears Newcastle Move But Dortmund Still Involved

While we expected the signing of David Rosehnal from PSG to be fairly plain sailing -reports are coming through that in fact Borussia Dortmund – who we thought were out of the running – are still involved. His agent Pavel Zika has even said he thinks David would prefer Borussia over Newcastle – which is surprising to say the least.

david-rozehnal07.jpg

David Rosehnal

It looks like Newcastle are trying to make the deal with PSG for a little over £2M – but PSG are holding out for a fee closer to £3.5M.
PSG however have now confirmed that a bid has been made by Newcastle and a source from PSG indicated a fee has been agreed. A deal is expected to be completed within the next twenty four hours.

A source from the French club went on to say:

“The deal is close to being completed, There has been contact between the clubs and a fee between three and four million euros has been agreed.
“It is not quite there but there aren’t any problems expected from PSG and we already know that Rosehnal would be very happy with a move to the Premiership with Newcastle United.”

Sam Allardyce of course tried to sign Rosehnal for Bolton during last January’s transfer window so we are sure he rates the Czech center back highly.
Newcastle have been favorites to sign the 26-year-old Rosehnal but his agent Pavel Zika has now revealed our interest has not been as keen as believed.

However, this may well be a ploy by Zika to get Newcastle to move more aggressively for his player – and it’s difficult to decipher which reports are made up and which are real – especially when a signing gets this close.
Pavel Zika had this to say on Tuesday:

“I am convinced that it will be decided within the next few hours,” “So far (Newcastle) have showed their interest only in the papers and the question now is if they really confirm their interest and enter the negotiations.
“We believe it will happen, and David’s move will therefore be finalized within the next few hours.”
“Both clubs are high-quality ones and both competitions are very good,”
“I think that he slightly prefers Dortmund but I don’t want to speak for him. The discussions with the clubs will be decisive.”

Suffice to say that we expect Rosehnal to sign for Newcastle – and it will be a surprise if David doesn’t lock up a deal with the Tynesiders very soon.
As always though we will need to wait and see – but hopefully only for hours rather than days.

We’ve always believed this would be a good signing for Newcastle and a good start to shoring up our creaky defense. We expect Sam to easily convince Rosehnal that his future lies at Newcastle.

We hope this will be followed by the capture of Tal Ben Haim from Bolton in a couple of days on a free transfer.

Comments always welcome.

• Blair

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:02 AM

Sounds like his agent is trying to stir up a better deal. Why does he say that we have not fully shown our interest when we have apparently made a formal offer to PSG? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how this pans out over the next day or so

• John75

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Typical agent talk, to try and generate a few more quid for themselves no doubt.

• kev

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:47 AM

I know we need some defenders and quick, but i’ve never heard of this guy up until the start of this month. Why not go for some quality defenders who have proven ability? Do we really need a player who’s greatest team to have played for is PSG at 26, and the fact he’d prefer Dortmund over us is the most obvious sign for big Sam to say stuff you then!

• Len Smith

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Who is the most unreliable a) Rosehnal’s agent b) Alan Oliver ? The close seasons non stop entertainment.

• Andreas

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Kev, I find it amusing that you slate off a player that was voted PSG player of the year (2006/2007), included in Ligue 1 team of the year (2006/2007) and plays regularly in the Czech national team, just ’cause YOU have never heard of him.

By the way, when you say we should go for defenders with “proven ability” would you mind give some examples?

Wouldn’t be the least surprised if you included Curtis Davies and Anton Ferdinand among the players you deem have “proven” their ability…

• nightfall

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Andreas…good point!

• Jeff

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Sam has came out and said a deal for Rosenhal is not imminent so there is obviously alot more work to do yet…..Ben Haim is his main target for defence as he has quoted this,& as Ben Haim is due to get married I wouldnt expect much to happen soon on this one either..I just hope a few defenders come in soon as I can see the longer it takes clubs will see we are desparate and therefor the price increase happens as usual.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Jeff – agree – but it’s a little worrying that these moves for the defenders -(which must be top priority since we got rid of 3 center backs a few weeks back) are moving to the right. We need to sign one – and Ben Haim is the important one – well proven and knows Sam well.

• kev

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Well, my point being that the premierleague is the best in the world, should we really be going for players who are the best in what I would call the 4th or even 5th best in the world? And when I say proven, i’m not talking about the fact he’s a international, but my point being he’s playing football in the same standard as the championship. Players in my eyes suitable for us is Ben Haim (premiership proven), Hypia (premiership proven), Huth and Bridge. Tell me this, why hasn’t any top rated teams been linked with him (and Dortmund are no better than Everton)?

• Andreas

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Kev, your suggested players are all good ones and I wouldn’t mind any of them coming to us myself.

However, when it comes to Ligue1 being the same standard as the Championship I do think you kid yourself (you even start of stating Ligue1 is the 4th or 5th best league in the world). In any case “overall league rankings” are quite subjective, but I do agree that Ligue1 is way off Premier League standard – then if it’s the 3rd, 4th or XXth best league is another matter.

The fact he plays regularly in the Czech national team is in my opinion however surely a sign of quality. Sure, it might be a bad sign that no top team is in for him, but that might as well be due to the fact they really don’t need a defender (and so far I reckon it’s only Chelsea that have been linked with a defender).

I understand your point, if I haven’t misunderstood you completly, that we shouldn’t buy players from “lesser” leagues (with exceptions maybe for outstanding teams like Lyon, Bayern Munich etc.) and you migth be right, but personally I don’t think that’s a good policy since the number of feasible targets will be very low with such a policy.

Finally, I guess we just have to wait and see if Rosehnal is good or not (be it in NUFC or elsewhere). My bet is that he would be a good Premier League defender but I might be completly wrong, I’ll admit that.