Newcastle Can’t Always Pay Players Their Wage Demands – Why Not?

Newcastle’s manager Sam Allardyce admits that since he came to Newcastle he has adjusted his attitude in the transfer market and is now able to go after bigger targets than he could at Bolton.

But he does say today that Newcastle cannot always pay players what they want.
We find this a rather odd statement – so let’s take a look at exactly what Sam said.

sam-allardyce-28.gif

Sam Allardyce – Odd Statement

When Sam was at Bolton he had to bring in five or six players a year – and they only scouted players they could afford – but at Newcastle the types of players he can bring in is expanded greatly. It seems that all the players Bolton scouted when he was there – are now legitimate targets for a side like Newcastle – because we definitely can afford what Bolton could afford.
This is what Sam said on this today – plus some lingering thoughts he had on the Ben Haim affair:

“I don’t think there are any more names being thrown at us because when I was at Bolton we always needed to secure five players or more a season,”
“But we scouted the players at Bolton we could afford, some of the players we are looking at for Newcastle simply weren’t in their price range. We had a vast scouting network at Bolton which we put to good use, but the size of the player we’re going for at Newcastle is much bigger. They have a very good record already.”
“The main focus was on Ben Haim and I did as much as I possibly could, but it looks like we have unfortunately lost out to Chelsea. It’s not my first frustration in the transfer market since I came to Newcastle, we just don’t publicize what we haven’t got because I don’t think that’s right. It’s not important who we’ve missed out on, it’s important who we bring in.
“The disappointment for me is how long I worked with Tal after bringing him into the Premiership three years ago. He was out of contract and he would have been good value. Everybody needs to pay what they can and we can’t pay people the sort of money that is floating around all the time.”

Maybe what Sam was meaning with that last sentence is that Newcastle will not always pay players what they demand in wages. That is different because we all know that players are becoming more greedy than ever with the amount of money now being poured into the game worldwide.

It also appears to us that Newcastle were unwilling to pay Ben Haim what he wanted – if we read between the lines.

So it looks plain that the Israeli did go after the bigger wages at Chelsea – even though he will not play many games for them.
Newcastle are going to have to pay up big wages for class players – (as we did for Michael Owen – though that’s hardly a good example) – otherwise we simply will not get great players to come to Newcastle.

It just seems to us a rather strange statement to make with Ashley coming in – but maybe Allardyce doesn’t have the funds right now.
We thought he had around ₤20M – which Shepherd had promised him before Ashley came onto the scene.

We’ll have to wait until near the end of the month when Ashley should have over 75% of the Newcastle shares – and will be able to give a little more guidance on his plans for Newcastle.

Finally, we do hope that Sam continues to build up Newcastle’s scouting network – which Roeder started – and apparently was almost non-existent last year.
This is one thing we need at a club like Newcastle – along with a good youth system.

Comments are always welcome.

• A geordiedoonsooth

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Seems like the same old summer story we are after everyone but get almost noone until the last minute. Can’t be doing much for the Season Ticket sales

• Tony_D

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I don’t believe that Ashley would want to go into next season with the squad as it is now, after all he wants success and fast
    He surely would have discussed this with FFS and BSA and reached an agreed amount that would be available until he has full control of the club.

• Boris

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Perhaps the wage structure is not allowed to change while Ashley and his people review it? This would make sense. But I also think that what Sam is saying is that Chelsea will happily offer £100k a week wage to Haim, while we will not – and too flippin’ right. There are plently of other top defenders out there that Chelsea will not be after, especially now they have sign Haim. I am not worried at all, in fact, i’ve not been this excited about goings on at the Toon since the Keegan era. Really hope Sam can find the next Asprilla, Ginola, Shearer etc.

• t-g-w

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:10 PM

A geordiedoonsooth – yes we always leave transfers until the last minute, but that is not happening this season. We have already signed 2 players – last season our first signing came at the end of July (Damien Duff). The transfer window hasn’t even opened yet – no need to panic! Sam will rebuild our defence!

• paul p

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:12 PM

the sooner this takeover goes through, the sooner sam gets a transfer kitty. I am led to believe that any major players will not be signed until after this goes through. Thats why he was after Ben Haim, signed Viduka on a free. He has made 2 million on Scott Parker, which will be spent on Rozenhal likely, and we have Joey Barton. I just hope that when he does get the funds, the players what is needed to turn our club are available, so we can take a step forwards. Otherwise it could be another long hard season. The only reason we stayed up was because of Martins and Dyers goals. If they had a been injured… we were down.. make no mistake about it, so I hope Mike Ashley, that you read these comments and do something about it.!!!!

• ChrisL

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I would imagine we offered him a very good wage.
    I would imagine that Chelsea offered him a higher wage.

If I was good enough to be paid to play (rather then have to pay to watch), I’d be thinking about ‘how as a footballer I have a limited shelf life’ , probably about 15 years of earning good money. I’m going to need to get what I can while I can to make sure my family is covered for the rest of our lives. So I understand his decision.

That said, as a NUFC fan… I fully support the Toons decision not to go above a certain wage level for anyone from now on. The sooner a club makes a stand the sooner the players stop trying to rip us off! What we offered him & what Chelsea were probably similar amounts financially. I feel that we had a lot more to offer him then Chelsea & he’s made his decision. I think it’s quite plain that the money was his motivation & therefore he’s not the player that we need. I for one am not interested in any more players coming here because it’s where they’ll get paid the most for their services.

The money is always going to be a part of it. Hell if someone comes in the office now & offers me a lot more cash each year I’m off… but I’d rather we signed players desperate to play for us or to prove themselves.

I hope that makes sense?

• ChrisL

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I think Ashley is going to want to test Big Sam 1st & make him earn the right to play seriously with his money in the transfer market. So I’m not really expecting anything too big this summer, just decent signings to boost the squad.

• Pete

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:53 PM

I agree with Chris L and do we really want players just signing for the big wages?

I would rather we signed players who want to play football, not just sit on the bench at Chelsea and be happy to pick up their pay packet.

• Pete

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Oh dear:

Get a news report about this ASAP…

NEWCASTLE AND BOLTON are the worst offenders of the investigation – Big Sam?!?!?!

• Ed Harrison

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:48 PM

paul p – that’s a good point you make. That no big signings until Ashley comes in – that would be by end of this month – so only a couple of weeks.
    We have to balance paying big wages for players who are worth it – with getting greedy players in who are just after the money. We’ve brought in a lot of the latter over the years. We trust that Sam knows who’s who – and brings in the former.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Pete – will have to look at this a bit deeper – the press release from Newcastle says the report points out they have done no wrong ??

• Ed Harrison

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Pete, Chris L – completely agree with your comments about the players we want into the club. The key is to be able to tell which is which – and we’ve hardly been successful in the past.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:54 PM

A geordiedoonsooth – not sure that’s Sam’s intention -to leave things to last moment – he wants to have a nearly complete squad together in early July – seems he’s got 5-6 players he’s been given the go ahead to get. Then when Ashley comes in they’ll look at what the squad looks like – and who else Sam needs – but it’s got to be Sam’s decision on who he wants to bring in. Making him spend money just for the sake of it will do nothing good.

• john75

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Whilst I agree with capping wages at a certain level, we have to be realistic, in that money has gone ridiculus again and other clubs will be willing to pay top dollar for certain players. Unless we want to miss out on them, we will have to at least match what other clubs offer.
    Is it not also the case, that clubs outside of the top four, often have to pay higher wages or offer bigger incentives to get players to join them. So, in reality, if we want to challenge the top four, we surely have to be trying to go for the same players as the top four (Sidwell, Ben Haim to name 2), which may mean having to offer them higher wage packages or bonus schemes, so that they consider us and don’t automatically join Chelski, Manure, ARSEnal or Scousers.
    Hope that made some sense!!

• ChrisL

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Ed,
    “The key is to be able to tell which is which – and we’ve hardly been successful in the past.”

One of the things that gives me the most hope about Big Sam is the effort he goes to, to set up the right team behind the scenes. We have already heard from Sam about psychologically profiling potential signings to make sure they can/will be able to perform in front of St.James’ each week.

I think someone like Barton fits into the category of a player that will relish the challenge & probably can’t wait to get stuck in.

• ChrisL

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:19 PM

John75,
    I can only agree with you if we were going to be chasing after high profile signings. I am more interested in players that are looking to come here to make a name for themselves by proving they’re the best. I hope Sam is too.

• john75

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:26 PM

ChrisL,
    I hope so too, but I don’t feel that we can rely too much on unknown players, that no-one else is going for and may need to sign a couple of proven premiership players which may mean paying over the top wages for.

• Pete

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:07 PM

John75,

“is it not also the case, that clubs outside of the top four, often have to pay higher wages or offer bigger incentives to get players to join them”

Not really, if the top 4 can offer top level football then who would you rather join – a team that is offering slightly more but is not even challenging to win anything or a team that is challenging for all the competitions.

We have been offering massive wages in recent years without any success, last season there was no passion in the team, everyone was content to show up for 90 minutes take the massive paycheck and go about their life. We need to actully attract people who want to go out and play football, these are the players who we need to be getting the top wages to stop other clubs coming in with better offers. I am thinking the Givens’, Taylors’ and Milners’.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:30 PM

ChrisL – good point – agree.

• LewDavies

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:13 PM

ChrisL – nice to hear some good points and common sense coming out.
    Do you think BSA will be getting rid of any more players before Aug and if so who? I think he may keep all until January and then have a car boot sale.

• Cathal

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:06 PM

i dont agree with the article at all! i think big sam is being very sensible! you cant expect the club to spend big and then if the players brought in are flops to say oh y did we spend so much money at them! ben haim played very well in the system bolton played, but whether he wud hav done well in the newcastle (more attacking) style of play is questionable! so if we had matched chelseas crazy money and ben haim turned out to be a flop, we, the fans, wud hav got on the managers back, just like we did with luque! so i think BSA is being very sensible!

• Ed Harrison

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Cathal – don’t disagree with you – and yes Sam seems sensible – but for some players – we are going to have to meet their demands. But there again maybe Sam does so well with the players that when he signs them he demands money not being the main reason. He’s certainly got a great track record with players – so he is doing something very right.

• ChrisL

Jun 18, 2007 at 8:50 AM

LewDavies,
    “Do you think BSA will be getting rid of any more players before Aug and if so who?”
    I really don’t know. I would not be surprised if a couple went, but I’d not be surprised if Sam now wants to hold onto what he’s got so we have a squad to pick from. Each player that leaves now, effectively adds more pressure on the remaining squad. Like you, I think that one or two may leave in January (maybe including Mr Owen).