Sam Sings the Praises of Joey Barton

Manchester City and England midfielder Barton signed a five year contract at St. James’ Park on Thursday after a £5.8M move and becomes manager Allardyce’s second signing at Newcastle in the last two weeks.

joey-barton-31.jpg

Joey Barton

Sam was obviously delighted to finally get Joey and this is what he told the official Newcastle web-site”

“It’s a great coup for me and this football club to get a player of such outstanding talent, something he has proven over the last four years at Manchester City.
“He is a central midfielder with all-round ability. He can defend, pass the ball and, most importantly, score goals.”

Barton’s goals as a midfielder have been noticed by Sam.
For the 2006/07 season he netted seven times and during the 2005/06 season, he struck six times again in the Premiership.
Last season at Newcastle, only Kieron Dyer matched Barton’s return of seven goals from midfield, while in 2005/06 only Nobby Solano matched his Joey’s six goals.
Sam went on:

“He has been among the goalscorers for Manchester City over the last two years and I felt this was the biggest area where Newcastle needed to improve having looked at the goal scoring ratio of midfield players last season.
“There’s no doubt about his outstanding qualities and no doubt about his desire to play football at a club capable of winning something.
“I have convinced him we have the same ambitions and hopefully we can achieve this together in the near future.”

Joey Barton then talked about making his mind up very quickly when he first arrived at Newcastle.

“I am delighted to be here. As soon as it came to speaking to people at Newcastle, it became clear they have the desire and ambition to succeed.
“The people I am going to work with have the ambitions to match mine and I hope this is the start of a successful era for myself and the club.
“I have always admired Sam from afar. The job he did at Bolton was just phenomenal.
“Now I have got the opportunity to work with him. It was great to speak to him and know he rates me as a player. “

So that’s the second deal completed – but we really have to concentrate on defenders now.

Hopefully Czech center back David Rosehnal is the next one to sign from PSG – and then if we could could entice left back Nicky Shorey from Reading to to Newcastle – he would be an excellent buy.

Both players would be great at Newcastle.

• kieran

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:57 AM

i thnk sam is going a bit OTT, it inly joey barton, 🙂

• kieran

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:00 AM

and imagine if a player like dyer or solano played for a team like man city, they’d e banging the goals in, barton only looks good by camparisin to a s—t man city team

• john75

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Now that Barton has finally signed and the rumours about Bellamy refuse to go away, maybe it is worth BSS also trying to sign Alan Smith, and resign Bowyer. Then we can have a midfield and front line that would really scare opposition defences. Not necessarily for good attacking play, but for fear of getting the sh*te kicked out of them, if they get too close to any of those players.

• kev

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:08 AM

Well I back Joey Barton all the way, this is a guy who will never pass back to his defenders when he doesn’t have to (unlike parker). This is someone who may be guilty of the odd wayward pass, but his determination and defending is second to few in the premiership and that’s what Newcastle need. I’m sick of people who are already prejudging him, Sam knows what he’s doing and wouldn’t have brought him if he didn’t so lets stop this negativity before the season starts. And I hope John75 is joking about resigning Boywer!

• Soren

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:52 AM

good one there john75 🙂 Anyway I think Barton will be great, and we’ll get a no nonsens type of player in our midfield, and one who can bring the game forward. Go Barton!

• Ed Harrison

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Alan Smith is a good player and of course quite versatile these days after ManU played him in midfield – wonder what Sam thinks of him?

• john75

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Was very much joking about resigning Bowyer. I would rather have Bramble back than him. Would love to see Smith in a Toon shirt though. Would add great depth to the squad. After we have signed some defenders though!

• Soren

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Smith would actually be cool in a black and white shirt. He certainly does not lack passion and will to win.