It’s always nice to have a good laugh about football now and again (even frequently) and with the article in the Sun on Thursday – that has a number of funny football quotes in it – we’ve found some quotes from two of our ex managers – Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan – read on.
Sir Bobby Robson (shown with wife Elsie)
- There will be a game where somebody scores more than Brazil and that might be the game they lose.
- Look at those olive trees – they’re two hundred years old â€“ from before the time of Christ!
Sir Bobby illustrates how great life is in Barcelona.
- They can’t be monks – we don’t want them to be monks, we want them to be football players because a monk doesn’t play football at this level
Bobby justifying Newcastle’s Playboy image.
- I played cricket for my local village. It was 40 overs per side, and the team that had the most runs won. It was that sort of football.
- If we start counting our chickens before they hatch, they won’t lay any eggs in the basket.
- They’re two points behind us so we’re neck and neck
- Jenas is a fit lad – he gets from box to box in all of 90 minutes
- I would have given my right arm to be a pianist
- I’d say he’s the best in Europe – if you put me on the fence
- I’m not going to look beyond the semi-final – but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final.
- I do want to play the short ball and I do want to play the long ball. I think long and short balls is what football is all about
- We’re flying on the Concorde. That’ll shorten the distance, that’s self-explanatory.
- He never fails to hit the target – but that was a miss.
- The good news for Nigeria is that they’re two-nil down very early in the game.
- I came to Nantes two years ago and it’s much the same today, except that it’s totally different.
- The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they’re not careful. Goalkeepers aren’t born today until they’re in their late 20s or 30s and sometimes not even then.
- We deserved to win this game after hammering them 0-0 in the first half.
- You can’t do better than go away from home and get a draw.
- Argentina won’t be at Euro 2000 because they’re from South America.
This will hopefully keep us from getting too serious about all the transfer news going on – in this emerging new and exciting era for Newcastle United.