Alan Shearer Blasts Bellamy – But Is That Right?

Alan Shearer yesterday made comments about Craig Bellamy when he first heard there may be an approach by Newcastle for the Welshman – but was this wise of Alan? What happens if Allardyce wants to sign Craig or even signs him.
Sam is not one to be put off by others’ opinions.

alan-shearer-1.jpg

Alan Shearer

This is what Shearer said yesterday regarding the potential Bellamy move back to Newcastle:

“I was having a few days away in France with Gary Speed and Steve Harper and the wives and I picked up a newspaper. I was having a fantastic day but when I read Bellamy for Newcastle, I thought I would definitely have to have another drink, so I had several.
“Has no one learned their lesson about signing him? If only Rafa Benitez had rung me, I would’ve told him exactly what he was like. I hope there isn’t anything in it.
“It would be interesting, especially with Terry McDermott still here, because there was a scuffle at Anfield when Craig and Terry were coming down the tunnel.”

Bellamy is alleged to have taunted Shearer with:

“Your legs are gone. You’re too old. You’re too slow,”

following Newcastle’s 4-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United in 2005.

Of course things really go ugly when Bellamy had the bust-up with Souness – and it was clear Bellamy was hoping to return to Newcastle – but Souness lasted just long enough in the Newcastle job so that this wasn’t possible. Bellamy was good when he played for Newcastle – he always gave 100% and is he really as bad as he’s made out?

craig-bellamy-13.jpg

Craig Bellamy

Bobby Robson seemed to handle him quite well – so we’re sure he would be no problem for Big Sam. However – we already have two similar players in Owen and Martins so we don’t think it’s an option Allardyce is exploring too much.

As far as Alan’s coaching is concerned he has now completed his badges:

“I have just finished my badges so I could go into management now if I wanted to, but why should I? There is only one place I am going to go when I do it, so I just wanted to enjoy some time out.
“My wife says, ‘We see less of you now than the previous 10 years,’ so I’m going to take a bit of time to spend with the family, but I will do it one day. If I get to 50 or 55 and I look back and I haven’t done it, I will regret it, but I don’t know when I will do it.”

Usually Alan in the past has said he will think about management but here he says he’ll do it – he just doesn’t know the time-frame. When Shepherd was running the club he wanted Shearer as manager as soon as he could get him. But things have changed now with the Ashley takeover – and it will be the new owner who will decide who Newcastle’s managers are in the future. If we are as successful as we expect with Allardyce – he could be ther manager for the next 3-5 years so there’s plenty of time for Alan. From the comment above it doesn’t look likely he will try to get management experience at another club first.

Comments are always welcome on our site.

• Cathal

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:07 AM

we dont need him! we hav 2 world class pacy forwards in martins and owen already and we dont want that scum back! he ways always committed, il give him that but he is an out and out scumbag, and i agree with shearer, dont bring him back! we already managed to get rid of bowyer and him thank god but imagine him and barton, dear God!!

• Doctapaul

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Joey Barton and Craig Bellamy on the same training ground.

I give it one week. Golf clubs, lit cigarettes….aint nuttin to what will happen

Bring Lawyers, Guns & Money.

• valle

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Bellamy has done nothing wrongs to the supporters of NUFC and we dont have to take sides with neither him or Shearer. Big Al is a legend here, but we alrdy have to many former players airing their opinions and i would have expected more of Al than this. In regards to him being a manager, i think he has what it takes to become a great manager but i also think that he should prove that at a lesser club first. This is not a club for rookie managers learning their trade, at least it shouldnt be.

• CKS

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:37 AM

How many clubs did Keegan manage before toking the job at Newcastle? I seem to remember he did rather well.

• RickCollins

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Here’s some pros & cons for the Signing of Craig Bellamy

Cons:
    1. We don’t need another small fast forward.
    2. He can’t conduct himself professionally off the pitch
    3. He’s had a ding dong with Shearer
    4. He’s had a bust up with Terry Mac
    5. He’s far from the best finisher anyway

Pros:
    1. He’s fast

• Arthur Prince

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Anyway we have BSA ,Valle . He must be given a long run to deliver the goods which Ithink he will .I agree Legend though he is I think he has to learn the trade . I also think being a great player doesn’t neccessarily mean you are going to be a great manager either . Al’s time will come in the future

• Gary

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:43 AM

I disagree with the comment that Bellamy has done nothing wrong to the supporters of NUFC. Every time a player is in the press for the wrong reasons, fighting, hitting women, fighting with other players etc, it has a detrimental effect on Newcastle. As supporters of Newcastle it has a detrimental effect on us.
    Footballers are paid a heck of a lot of money and they should lead by example. They have an enormous effect on the youth of today and they should be held accountable.

• ChrisL

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:46 AM

I doubt we’d be after CB because we already have MO & OM. I think one of them would have to leave 1st (unlikely this summer).
    Shearer would have been far wiser to have kept stum on this. I’m sure we all knew his opinion already & like Shearer said about Rafa, give your opinion when SA phones you to ask for it.

• nightfall

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:47 AM

shearer is a newcastel utd. fan…+ he know’s bellamy way better than we do, so…that’s good enough for me…

• Rob Kirton

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:47 AM

If you dig deep enough that you will find that Bellamy whilst at Newcastle upset more than

Graeme Souness, Terry Mac, John carver, Alan Shearer, Freddy Shepherd…

Re his clubs he has history, at the time of his leaving

Norwich – Glad to see the back of him, allegedley their most unpopular player ever
    Coventry – Glad to get rid of him after 1 year (for no profit)
    Newcastle – Glad to get rid of him for issues with other staff
    Celtic – No reported problems
    Blackburn – No reported problems
    Liverpool – Glad to get rid of him (for whatever reasons)

The only conclusion to draw is that he wasn’t at either Celtic or Blackburn long enough to work his magic.

He’s a bad seed.

• paul p

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:48 AM

think about it everyone. What does defenders hate. forwards who have pace running at you, so throw in bellamy, owen and martins. with wright phillips down the right, we could be laughing. So what if he has has run in’s with terry mac, shearer etc, Yes Al is a legend up here, and he is a good fella, but the fact of it is he has finished playing football and has no ties with Newcastle United anymore. Also, these ding dongs are in the past and if everyone was adult enough, then they should put things like this behind him. Am sure Sam knows all of this, but I would be right behind bringing him back. If we are to do anything in this premiership, then we need good fast quality players at our club, and he is one of them. Look back to 2001. He was the difference. Had he not got injured against Sunderland, we could have won it that year. It was in our own hands. Does anyone agree with what I have said.

• steve

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:57 AM

there’s no doubt bellamy’s a bad apple. but shearer is very unwise to have commented on the internals of the club… wholly wholly inappropriate. he knows his influence in and over the club and he has used that influence very, very irresponsibly. he should have the cop on to know that this is sam’s business and not his.

very disappointing.

• Neil

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Paul P although I don’t agree with the purchase of Wright-Phillips I agree with everything else you have said. What Shearer has said in the past is that Bellamy was one of his best striking partners along with Sutton, Sheringham and Ferdinand. Lets be honest, by Bellamy being at NUFC he helped prolong Shearer’s career by doing virtually all of his running so he wasn’t THAT BAD. Do you like everyone you work with??? Bellamy is a fiery lad no question so him and Souness (Who is a fiery ****) were never going to get on. All the people who blab on about Bellamy not being a finisher need to look at his season at Blackburn where he finished with about 17 goals whilst being injured for portions of that season. He also averaged about 1 in 3 at NUFC which I would be happy with given his work rate. I also think by the way he can be a loud mouth and irritating but Sir Bobby managed him, Martin O’Neill did, Mark Hughes did so why couldn’t our gaffer? Maybe we would’ve won the league if he hadn’t got injured or maybe we wouldn’t we will never know but I am sure all of us would’ve loved to have found out what would’ve been had he stayed fit. My final thought on Bellamy is that defenders couldn’t really live with him on his day and even on an off day he’d still give 100% for the team.

• paul p

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:36 AM

thats what got us up there into 4th and 3rd. at the time we had robert who was quiet pacy, bernard, dyer, bellamy, solano was’nt bad, lua lua, jj was’nt slow either, speedo sat and held the midfield and shearer banged the goals in after the lot above did the donkey work. we now have owen, martins, dyer. if we keep him fit and he can get some sort of form back, he will be alright again. if not, flog him on. Viduka when he plays will hold the ball up and score goals as he knows where the goals are, but its keeping him fit again!! solano has lost his pace, nzogbia, is he still going to be with the club, duff, when will he be fit, joey barton, goals from him in the middle of midfield. so you add bellamy into this, baines at left back coming forward, richards at right back. 2 strong centre halves, royston drenthe at left back for cover, 2 good centre halves as cover, i think we are still short down the right and in the middle. diarra by the way is brilliant. he wud be great for us if we sign him and a think we should. I then think with the signings i mentioned, we wud be set up for a great season.

• Graham

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Am I the only person in the north east thinking that Alan Shearer is a trouble maker himself (even after he’s gone). Footballer – yes i cannot argue. But as a person? Is this the sort of attitude we are looking for from an ambassador of the club? It looks like Shepherds habit of launching his size 10’s in without thinking has rubbed off on our so called legend. He should stick to his current job with the BBC and keep his quite stupid thoughts to himself.

• Cathal

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM

defo a bad apple! and with regards to alan shearer needing to prove himself at a lesser club, i disagree, -Roy Keane any1!!

• matthew

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM

6 clubs and he’s 27 if he is so good why doesn’t he stay , he’s not that goos anyway or liverpool would keep him if he waqs good clubs would keep him so tht egotistic twat can get the hell away from newcastle as we already have 3 of the best strikers in the prem and if we can’t score goals with them then bellamy has no hope

• Watson

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Nightfall – Good point – King Al knows more about the running of NUFC and how the club and players work and if he says Bellamy shouldn’t be allowed to return who are we mere mortals to argue, whatever our feelings on the subject.

• Keep Oba

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Cathal…Id like to think Sunderland is a lesser club…but I get what you are saying. It would be nice to see what Shearer could do at a lesser club. Plus it would give us a small club to root for together. I don’t think Bellamy is a road we need to go down again. Let’s get some defenders before we get another backup attacker.