Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The big news today is the shocking attack by masked gunmen on Oba Martins and his friend in Lagos, Nigeria on Monday evening.Â Oba’s lucky to be alive – if the truth be told.
- Terrible attack on Oba Martins in Lagos, Nigeria on Monday night when masked gunmen opened fire on his Mercedes car while he was at a petrol station. Oba was lucky he wasn’t killed. This is a shocking incident – and we’ve tried to report the bare facts – from the Sun’s initial report.Â Hopefully the Police will be able to trace the gunmen down.
- Lots of coverage of Alan Shearer’s remarks on Craig Bellamy and that he had to have quite a few more drinks when he heard Newcastle may be after Bellamy. We have a story looking at whether this was an appropriate remark – in case Sam does indeed pursue Craig – which we doubt.
- We have a couple of stories on transfer updates at Newcastle. One is on David Rozehnal – who we seem to be ready to sign after DortmundÂ have reportedly pulled out of the bidding. We also take a look look at other center-backs we can go after – and take another look at the situation and chances of getting left back Nicky Shorey.
- The other transfer update is on Habib Beye and Bakari Sagna – two full backs we seem to be continually linked with. We take a look at them and our chances of getting them to Newcastle in the summer.Â They seem two top caliber defenders we are linked with – which is why we are particularly interested.
- Here’s a quote from Gordon Strachan – the Celtic manager – who has always seemed to have trouble withÂ reporter’s questions and has little patience for stupid questions – which he gets a lot of.
Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I’m just going to crumble like a wreck. I’ll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge.
Â As we get new and worthwhile Newcastle news during the rest of the day we’ll add these to this report.Â
We’d appreciate your comments on these stories.