Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The big news today is the defeat of the England Under-21s and the way Steven Taylor played heroicallyÂ (plus James Milner)Â in a devastating loss after Maceo Rigters had equalized for Holland with just one minute to go in normal time – and England eventually losing 13-12 on penalties.
- Great game last night in which our very own Steven Taylor epitomized England’s fighting spirit. Even though Steven was injured he still managed to score a penalty – and James Milner slotted in his two also. Both looked the great paleyrs they are going to become at Newcastle. Here’s what Stuart Pearce said after the game.
Steven Taylor and James Milner
- Following on from the same England Holland game last night we spotlight the potential transfer to Newcastle of Dutch striker Maceo Rigters – who scored the last minute eqalizer last night. His transfer fee is so low (â‚¤350K) that it must be a bargain if we can get himn to Newcastle.
- Also as luck would have it last night we spotlighted what Sam Allardyce had to say about Steven Taylor and that he needs to get Steven some help at center-back. Steven has tried to step up at Newcastle in leadership – and he has done well for one so young (and great last night). Sam is sensibly trying to take some of the pressure off Steven. From last night’s performance we have to say that young Steven seems to thrive on pressure!
- The other transfer news is that we are still after Rozehnal of PSG – but it seems we may have him bagged shortly – because the news is that Borussia Dortmund have signed Juverntus’ Robert Kovacs as a replacement for Metzelder – and so they seem to have filled their center-back opening. We focus on comments made by David Rozehnal yesterday – he certainly seems a rather cool charcter – take a read.
- Other Newcastle news in the Independent is that Derek Boateng is back in the frame for Newcastle – we have spotlighted the attacking midfielder a couple of weeks back and we think Sam will go after him now to get him in before training begins next month.
- Also lots of reports that Mike Ashley will appoint someone imminently to look over the workings from top to bottom of the club. But there seems nothing new in this – and it’s really what you would expect when someone buys a new business.
Owner Mike Ashley
- Here’s a quote from our very own Mark Viduka and yes – it’s pretty stupid. 😀
“I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.”
As we get new and worthwhile Newcastle news during the rest of the day we’ll add these to this report.Â Â We’d appreciate your comments on these stories.