Newcastle Rozehnal Transfer Saga Drags On

The latest we know about the David Rozehnal transfer is that Newcastle have increased their bid to PSG from ₤2M to just under ₤3M – and the news a couple of days ago was that our competition – Burussia Dortmund – had pulled out.  David spoke yesterday to Sport – so let’s take a look at what he said and see if we can read between the lines.

david-rozehnal_228×296.jpg

David Rozehnal

Rozehnal told Sport.

“The latest is that since Monday, negotiations have been going on,” “I know nothing more and am waiting for what my agent Mr Zika tells me. I am now at home in Olomouc and am waiting for news.
“I would like a move to Germany, the quality of their league has been improving very quickly, but this counts also for Newcastle. I will see what happens and will not be sad if I stay in Paris.

Impressive - all in one paragraph David says it would be OK to move to Germany, OK to move to Newcastle – and he doesn’t mind at all staying in Paris – there’s a diplomat if ever I saw one.
David certainly seems very relaxed about the whole thing and doesn’t seem too concerned where he will end up.

David continued:

“I am happy in Paris and my family likes it there as well. I have a good name there already so it would not be a disappointment for me to continue with PSG. I return to Paris on 27th June which is a date I keep in my mind.
“That means I am ready to continue in Paris in case the transfer is not done.”

Something should break hopefully before the end of the week. There was news that Burussia Dortmund had withdrawn from the talks – but we will not know whether that is true or not until after the deal has been completed.
Really hope we can tie this one up – we don’t want another disappointment like the Ben Haim affair – after a long drawn out deal like this. David could be the partner Steven Taylor needs for next year.
Steven was England’s best player in the European Under-21 tournament and showed class and courage last night in England’s dramatic penalty shoot-out loss to Holland.
We need someone like Rozehnal who can partner Steven at the heart of the Magpies defense next year.

• Veliz

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:27 AM

I dont see him very convinced of coming to Newcastle… I hope i’m not right. Looking at what he said, I have the idea that he REALLY want to go to Germany, and if an offer is made from Germany then he is going to go there.
    He’s a good player, but if he don’t end up here in Newcastle, don’t get so surprised.

• Arthur Prince

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:51 AM

Steven Taylor was awesome lastnight . Imagine what he will become with the right guidance .

• Jim

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:49 AM

I read this morning on teletext that we were interested in Luke Young from Charlton. I wonder who chooses the players at the TOON because I am certain that Roeder was also linked with Young, is it the board putting these names forward? hopefully not. we do need our defence sorted out and we (the fans) have been saying this for nearly ten years now. come on Sam show us what your made of.

• lua

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:05 AM

he won’t go to dortmund. they just bought robert kovac of juventus as a replacement for metzelder.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Jim – good point – it does look like Allardyce is after same players that Roeder was interested in. But I’d like to think that’s because we have targeted certain players for weaknesses in our side – the weaknesses will not go away when new manager comes in – but you’re right he may prefer other players. Can only assume Allardyce is going after the ones he wants – and some of them are who Roeder was targeting – but excellent point – we have noticed also he’s targeting same players. You are so right about the defense – but Sam is pragmatic and if it’s one thing he’ll do next season – come hell or high water – will be to fix the defense – which has leaked for 10 years. Rozehnal would help there – and we like Luke Young as well.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Arthur – Steven Taylor is one of those great players – who play at their best when it matters – he must have gained lots of extra fans last night – watch for an England callup next season – and with guys like him in the side – with spirit, guts and determination – that’s when we’ll have a real chance to win another world cup. Allardyce must have secretly been so proud of Steven last night. We already know McClaren (and Jose Mourinho) is a big admirer – and many more after this tournament.