Sam Allardyce Has A Work In Progress With Oba Martins

The private life and times of Obafemi Martins is probably causing some concern to Sam Allardyce as he understands that an unsettled player – for whatever reason – rarely can give of his best. We feel that Sam has a job to do with Martins – who we point out – is still only 22 years old.

sam-allardyce-94.jpg

Sam Allardyce

Sam must somehow get Oba to stop his habit in the last six months of failing to turn up for games.
Even though Oba denies that happened on the last game of the season against Watford – he has nevertheless had two occasions this year when there was at best – miscommunication between him and the Nigeria squad – in that he didn’t show up when he was expected to.

It also looks like the first time he missed playing for Nigeria early this year may have led to an assassination attempt on his life last Monday evening in Lagos, Nigeria – where Oba has a luxury apartment. That alone has to be causing Sam a little heartburn.

However – the good news is that Oba has announced he is happy at Newcastle and is willing to fight for his place along with Owen, Viduka and Ameobi.
Speaking first about the Watford game Oba said:

“I told the caretaker-manager (Nigel Pearson) that I had a problem with my knee and I couldn’t travel with the team, but he insisted that I must fly to London and I did,”
“But then they started saying I was not injured and I was trying to get out of the game. That really upset me and I decided not to go to the stadium. I did not disappear. I was in the team hotel all the time and it was only when I went out that people were telling me they heard I had disappeared.”

<oba-martins.jpg

Oba Martins

Oba then talked about playing for Newcastle.

“I signed a contract with Newcastle and I am happy here at the club and the way the fans supported me even when I wasn’t scoring was great,”
“If I am fully fit, there is no way I will back out from playing any game for Newcastle. But it would not be right for me to wear the shirt and play when I know that I will not be giving my best. That will be like cheating the fans. ”

The £10M Nigerian striker knows he will need to fight for his place in the team next year – but that’s what we need more of at Newcastle. Any top team has a good squad and at least half the team are not regular starters. So we welcome Sam building the squad so there is great competition for places – and anyone who wants to be successful in football knows that his place can never be guaranteed.

Oba does seem to have some problems right now – but we think Sam Allardyce is the perfect manager to help young Oba sort himself out. Once this happens we may see Martins so much better than he was last season – when he did score 17 goals – which was not too bad for a 22 year-old in his first season in the Premiership.

• drew

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:24 PM

quit trying to stir things up saying he went missing for games. He missed one game at watford which meant bot all and came out and apologiesed and explained the situation. He has also said he is commited to the toon – what more do you want you geet big massive ‘ay ey ay ey ayyyy’.

• Cicero

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:35 PM

It just goes to show what a crap regime we had under Fat Freddie. Get out clauses in contracts. Dodgy deals involving his son. He’s always pointed out how much he’s spent as a chairman but what have we got for it, other than a load of useless managers who have walked away with nice fat compensation packages and left the team in a mess. The one good manager he did appoint (Bobbie) he sacked 4 games in to a new season and the w****r who replaced him, well I’m not even going there. Big Sam and Mike Ashley have a lot of work to do; were light years away from the top 4 but still along way away from Spurs and Everton, while both Aston Villa and West Ham have big wallets and ambitions.

• DZ Adams

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:41 PM

What BSA has to do with any player that doesn’t want to play for us is keep it quiet from the media, persuade the player to give his best until the transfer window is open then offload them for the highest possible price.Like he says it takes a certain type of player to play at Newcastle and I have every faith that BSA is the man to find them

• nightfall

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:43 PM

cicero – welcome to capitalism:)

• Keep Oba

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I really think we need to do all we can to keep Oba. Scoring 17 goals coming from Italy, being 21-22ish and for most of the year without any legitimate partner upfront is nothing to discredit. Yes some of you will come on and complain about his first touch and all that, but look at Drogba’s first year at Chelsea which in which he was 5 years older than Oba and you will see that Oba’s with his speed and blister of a shot could really turn into a major force once he enters his prime. Restructure his deal, make him happy and let him grow into star. If we keep Owen or let him go is fine. I know what he can do or could do and thats all great. But the future is Oba. Imagine having Oba for another 5 seasons and he would still only be 27. Even if he goes for 13mil and we get a “profit” off of him, we will not be profiting from that move.

• Graham

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:46 PM

I think that in Allardyce, Martins has one of the best man managers around to sort out exactly what goes on in his head at times. Lets give all concerned as much backing as we can instead of slagging the kid off when he doesn’t score for a couple of games. Lets face it, he’s adapted to a new league and culture in less time than certain individuals who cost a lot more money (Shevchenko). Even Henry didnt start firing until at least his second season. I’m sure that he will benefit from Viduka and a fully fit Ameobi next season and wouldn’t mind putting a couple of quid on it being Owen on the bench if he’s still here (surely Allardyce has the balls to do that if he thinks it’s right)

• Keep Oba

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:47 PM

And no more buyout clauses unless they are insanely high…that is a joke. Either you get a lemon and no one wants to pay it or you get a great player and get low-balled by the buyout price. Stupid

• DZ Adams

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:54 PM

It wasn’nt that long ago that Sir Bobby took a relegation threatened side to fourth the next season ,this “breaking”into the top six is a lot of hype,to say we are a long way off Spurs or Everton is is just spreading the pessism that is one of the reasons for lack of success.

• Chris

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM

I don’t think Ashley will welcome buy out clauses in cantracts. It’ll be his business soon and he’ll want to make as much money as possible if he has to sell a player. Not sell them for less than he payed for them.
    That doesn’t make good business. It’s alright shepherd doing it cause he’s got nothing to loose. It’s the fans that loose out and for that Shepherd should be out the door sooner rather than later.
    I thought Shepherd loved this club. I love the club and I would rather not sign a player than have them hold this club to ransom.

• Keep Oba

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Spurs and Everton are afraid of Newcastle. Newcastle has enormous potential and they know it, especially Everton. They are both second fiddles in thier own towns and have smaller stadiums and will never capture their cities from the big gorillas that inhabit them. Everton is just a more successful Man City. Hopefully with the moves in management and ownership the last month Newcastle can begin to realize some of its potential. The difference between us and the Big 4 are significant, but the gap from 5th to 15th are not nearly as wide. A couple of key moves and Newcastle is right in the thick of it again.

• DZ Adams

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Shall we chip in a ten bob each and pay Luque’s buy out clause

• Ed Harrison

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:15 PM

drew – I never said he missed the Watford game – because he said he didn’t – and i put his explanation up – but he did have problems with the two Nigeria games. See first paragraph under Sam’s photograph.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:15 PM

DZ Adams – it may have to be 30 bob each.

• Jeff

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Its about time clubs put a stop to players demanding get out clauses in contracts…..Only one clause should be allowed and that is if a club gets relegated….but because the toon didnt qualify for europe or because 52000 people didnt watch every game they want out,its getting pathetic….A player signs a contract for a club for the length he signs for,should be for footballing reasons only.If he signs for 1 year then he is free to move on….if he signs for 5 yrs he should stick to it,he is the one who signs for that length.Cut out all these clauses…………..Thats if these clauses exist…I mean is that not why Owen has stayed quiet,because its just paper talk?The local press up here is a disgrace Alan Oliver should be sacked,he gets everything wrong…If I got as much wrong Id be out the door……All he writes is negative stuff about Newcastle….He fallls out with players then turns on them hoping they will leave………To me the press are to blame …..I think all Toon fans should boycott the Chronicle……..Like the scousers did with the sun after hillsborough………….

• valle

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Keep Oba… U really hit my by suprise there!… of all ppl i thought u would be the last to say keep Oba =)

• Cicero

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Sorry Nightfall it’s not capitalism, it’s stupidity. Man U now that’s capitalism at it’s best.

• Cicero

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:34 PM

We probably had to allow get out clauses be put in contracts because we were desperate to sign players who weren’t that bothered about comming to the toon in the first place other than for the size of the pay check. Can’t blame them really if they’re ambitious and want to win things.

• JP from The Rock of Gibraltar

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Oba Martins has bags of potential just waiting to be unleashed. Owen is a great striker which I feel has recently past his prime and will only go down in value. I also feel he has no real sentiment for the club. He has to fight for the cause and I just can’t help seeing him as a greedy talented individual. Oba IS the future and by no means what he achieved last year for us is easy (17 goals with no real strike partner!!). He looks commited unlike Owen and he was brave enough to wear the famous Number 9 shirt unlike Owen. At 22 years of age Martins value will rise dramitcally within the coming years and why would we want to sell him anyway? He is going to be the star of Newcastle as is Henry of Arsenal and Drogba of Chelsea. We should fight tooth and nail to keep Oba and I just can’t believe the stupid idea that FAT FREDDIE had of including another clause in Oba Martins! To make a huge mistake like that once in Owen is bad enough, but I could not imagine he would be as daft to do it again, which just happens to be our other striker!! What if the two of them decide to leave because other clubs in the CL are willing to match the clause price, then what? It sickens me to keep finding out these unbelievable truths emerging within St James’, there are sooo many mistakes which Fat Freddie has made in the past which quite simply are unforgivable. Mr Ashley chuck Fat Fred OUT, Owen can go with him IF he is not fully commited and is only using St James’ as a stepping stone to greater things, and offer Oba another improved contract NOW and not later as he has come out and let us all know he is happy here, unlike OWEN!
    The kid deserves it. Owen you should be doing the same and publicly announce your intentions. If Oba Martins can do it away in Italy so can Owen from his holiday in Dubai. I wish both would stay as it is a predatory strikeforce to have but sadly I just can’t see Owen staying, if it were up to me I’ll keep MARTINS -HE IS OUR FUTURE.

• nightfall

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM

the thing is that with the money players are getting to play football..they should just be quiet, play football and be thankful that they’re getting payed so much for doing sth. everyone think of it as a hobby… demanding a release clause is totaly unprofesional… they have jobs ‘cos of us!!! …sometimes they act like spoiled little bit***s 🙂

• nightfall

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:29 PM

owen to man city?

• Keep Oba

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:31 PM

I know with my name it might surprise some of you, like Valle, that I am supporting keeping Obafemi so strongly, but I just believe it would be a major loss to the Toon if he was to leave. It was Oba that got us out of a funk in the middle of the season and kept us out of the relagation zone. Owen has not done much for us (yes yes i know his leg), but it was Oba’s powerful legs that kept us afloat.

• joe

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Why did martins get stick from some fans last season. slating him when he didn’t score in a couple of games. some seemed to have written him off after only a thew games at the start of the season. But Martins in my opinion is top class. Yes he does have quiet spells in games but which striker doesn’t. but someone who can adapt so quickly and score 17 goals in his first season (some of which were absolute screamers). He is still only 22, he is just going to get better and better. No way should we let him go.

• Shaun

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Oba say’s he’s committed to the Toon that’s good enough for me, more than Owen has said.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Joe – Oba has to be given a chance next season – i’m sure Sam wants to keep them all – the squad is pretty good – if they all played to their potential. 17 goals isn’t too bad for first season !!

• valle

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Well… Again the information of an release clause has been released to the media in weird cicumstances. Question is, who did it?… Most would blame the agent, but let me tell u this. If u think any agent went aheah and did things his client didnt improve on then that agent would get fired straight away. Agents are paid to be assholes so that their client dosnt have to. So that leaves 2 conclusions… Either Martins is looking for a way out or Sam decided he would take the money if offered and leaked it himself.

• NUFC = best

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:55 PM

we need to keep him he has been great this season and if we keep own to then our upfrount force will be amazing

• […] is all very puzzling. We did write a piece on Martins earlier this week saying that Big Sam has to talk to Martins and ensure his personal […]