Alan Smith On His Way to Newcastle

Newcastle are said to be interested in taking Alan Smith from Manchester United for a fee of £3.5M – we didn’t even think Big Sam was after Smith – but it looks like the deal may already be tied up.    😀

alan-smith.jpg

Alan Smith

The Mirror is reporting not just that we are interested in Smith but that we have won the race to sign him – after Alan openly expressed his surprise at not being offered a new contract by Manchester.

It is also being reported that Newcastle tried to get both Wes Brown and Mikael Sivestre as part of a three player deal but were not successful. Both defenders would have been good buys if only for their vast experience gained at Manchester.

Newcastle of course tried to sign Alan before when he moved from Leeds to Manchester in 2004 – but he preferred Manchester – and went in a £7M move. He has had mixed fortunes there and has made only 61 appearances for the Reds scoring 7 goals. He has been out injured and on the bench for most of the time. When he has played he’s looked good and a player of his caliber should be getting more games than he has at Manchester.

Despite his reluctance to leave United – Smith has been assured of regular football at Newcastle under Allardyce, something he did not and will not get at Old Trafford. Alan is also said to be looking forward to the challenge at Newcastle to prove he can get back to the level he was at before breaking his leg at Liverpool in February 2006. Multiple Premiership clubs including Tottenham and Aston Villa made clear their interest in signing Smith but the Mirror says this morning Newcastle have won the race.

We don’t know if this report is true – but if it is we think it’s a nice piece of business by Newcastle – Smith is a good player and versatile in that he can play midfield or striker. Also if it is true this is the way to conduct transfer business – nobody knows about it until you announce the deal. He played 172 times for Leeds United scoring 38 goals and 18 times for England scoring 2 goals. We hope this one happens – especially since the Rozehnal deal is up in the air – with Sevilla reported to be interested.

• Pete

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:45 AM

This really doesn’t suprise me. The relationship that Big Sam has with Fergie is brilliant, I expect us to get quite a few of their players.

Smith is a real quality player, his workrate second to none. At least if we do get smith then Owen can’t hold us to ransom.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Pete – there’s a report that Manchester City may want to lure Owen – if Eriksson takes over – why would he want to go there?
    This would be a good signing – and if we can wrap up Rozehnal a good week.

• ChrisL

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:54 AM

It could open the door to Owen going the other way at a later date.

• Pete

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:56 AM

I really do hope he goes there (the only reason I can think of is that it is nearer to Liverpool where his family is) it is obvious that he doesn’t want to be at the club and will probably go in the January window. With Sam bringing in so many new players then it will take time for them all to adjust – if Martins gets a good partnership with Owen and then Owen goes I can see Martins going as well (he has a 13Mill clause in his contract?).

It all sounds like tabloid talk to me. There is so many things that need to happen first. They need that bloke to buy them, then they need Sven to agree to manage them, then they need owen to agree – sounds a bit far fetched to me.

• tom

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Im sceptical. Its just paper talk at the mo methinks, but I’d love to proved wrong. Alan smith could be a great signing, given proper regular footie

• Rob Kirton

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:00 AM

If this is true, I would like to see him deployed in midfield role. His battling qualities are probably second to none, and he can weigh in with goals. Our midfield last season was notorious for not scoring their fair share.

When being deployed as an out and out forward, he won’t score anywhere near as many as either Owen or Martins, so I wouldn’t like to think of him being as a replacement if either player does decide to leave

• graeme dev

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:07 AM

I thought the 9 mil clause only came into affect if the buying team could offer champions league football?
    Smith will be an excellent player for us though ,linking up with viduka and milner again!!
    roll on the start of the season!!!

• Pete

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:08 AM

Rob, Really? If so then we really should sell him.

• Lin

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:14 AM

I like Alan Smith. He is a fighter with keen determination and passion. I can see Sam is going to build a team hungry for trophy and honor. Note his name , another ‘Alan S’.I hope he can come. Amusing..Haha
    I think the best position of Alan Smith is the forward, although he can play in the midfield. But I don’t think we need any more striker unless we sell Ameobi.

• nufcstats.com

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Another great defender linked with us… it is becoming frustrating. looks like previous couple of seasons. many big names every day and crazy last hours of August to get anyone. Hope this year will be different. We started well with Viduka and Barton but then Ben Haim, maybe Rozehnal and some other failures Sam mentioned but didn’t give the names.
    Smith can be good signing but for free not 3,5M for player who even at his best at Leeds had less then 0,25 goals per game and with all his injuries at ManU. Maybe we don’t know something about our midfielders and this one is because of that. I can’t see Smith as one of our forwards

• James

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Smith good player but is he going into midfield as a CAM and Joey the more holding role?? anyway i brilliant bargain at 3.5 mill

• andy

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:33 AM

owen is on his way to man city so smith would be a good replacement

• Pete

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Plus viduka has fitness problems so I doubt he will start every match, a viduka/smith rotation maybe.

• nufcstats.com

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Owen to Man City? what for? Champions League football or fighting for Premiership title? if he will go there he will be another greedy player whose words doesn’t mean anything.
    money can’t do everything and despite takeover and all that millions (not so sure) to buy new faces they still will struggle. Ericsson will sink them like he did with England.

• Fergie

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:46 AM

why do we need another striker? we don’t……unless Owen or Martins are one their way. If we do sign Smith then there must be something behind the deal, like a first option on Owen for Man Utd, if he has proved himself by January. I hope not however. I would rather keep Owen and burn the difference in price

• Lin

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM

I think it’s some kind of waste if he plays as a defensive midfielder. He can be a powerful striker with adequate motivation and support. I watched some matches he played at Leeds. He never gave up and always drove the team forward. The fact that his didn’t score a lot may be related to the following causes:
    1,He was young when he played at Leeds.
    2,His bad temper in the pitch always caused some trouble for him, for example red cards. He was suspended for some matches which is not good for any player both from the aspect of mental and condition.
    3,The support from the midfield was not enough especially during the last two years at Leeds .
    But now he is more mature. And I think he can reach his potential with Sam’s help.

• Andreas

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:58 AM

@nufcstats.com

Although off topic I have to question your statement “Ericsson will sink them like he did with England.” So SGE sunk England? How come? Made it to WC02, EC04 and WC06. Then ofc it’s sad England lost all QF, but both in EC04 and WC06 it was a lot of bad luck involved in those losses (Sol’s disallowed goal in Portugal etc.).

But surely, since SGE isnt’ English he’s crap and with someone like Smiling Steve at the helm the THE GREATEST TEAM ON EARTH (as many English fans look upon the national team) would easily have won all three tournaments, right?

I don’t say SGE is the best in the world, but to call him crap is just retarded. Look at his record when managing clubs and then realize that he wasn’t a faliur managing England either (note: i stress again, SGE isn’t the best manager around and wouldn’t want him at NUFC for instance but he just ain’t crap – period).

On topic. Smith would be a good buy, although it’s not strikers we need…

• nufcstats.com

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Andreas for me it doesn’t matter what country english manager is from. I’m from Poland and live (and hope will) here all my life so it is not because SGE isn’t english. McLaren is and I can’t watch how they play:) I appreciate SGE for his work at Lazio for example but he is not the best to handle british players I think. yeas he reached QF’s but then England could do much much more. he made a lot of mistakes with selection, tactics and substitutions during the games but I never said he is a crap but England is not a place for him

• […] News breaking in the Daily Mirror that Newcastle have tied up the singing of Alan Smith from the Reds for ₤3.5M. This is a good deal for us – and we’re also pleased Sam kept quiet about it to ward off competitors. Good for him. […]

• Ed Harrison

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:35 AM

andy – we didn’t even comment on that story about Owen going to Man City – they haven’t won anything recently and are not in Europe – not sure why Owen would want to go there – we think he’s staying to see how things go here.

• john75

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Brilliant signing as far as i’m concerned. Really hope it is true. Means there is real competition for places in a starting 11.
    Wonder if it is some kind of deal that may see Owen off to Manure in January if he proves his fitness.
    Lets now sign some DEFENDERS!!!!!

• Adam

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:06 AM

This would give us 6 excellent strikers, which would be great! I don’t even think we’ll lose Owen or Martins either, but if one did go we’d still have plenty of options. If we do get Smith, from now on I’d just focus ONLY on defence though. We’d have plenty in mf and attack………

• nightfall

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:10 AM

with smith on board n’zogbia will never develope his talent

• Ed Harrison

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:05 PM

nightfall – why would Smith interfere with N’Zogbia progress – assume he will start on left wing for us – with Duff out.

• nightfall

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:32 PM

with viduka, martins, ameobi and owen, smith will never play in attack… n’zogbia is an attacking midfielder, who can play on the left or in the center…so does smith… and we allready have dyer, duff, luque, milner,barton,…who can play on the left or in the centre of midfield…attacking midfield…

• steve

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:55 PM

the only reason owen will goto man city is the same reason he came to the toon – i.e. no one else wants him and he’ll want even more cash than he’s getting now

• steve

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:55 PM

the reasons owen will goto man city are the same reasons he came to the toon – i.e. no one else wants him and he’ll want even more cash than he’s getting now

• Orangina

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I’m a die hard Leeds fan and was gutted when he left us, he’s a top bloke and won’t shy away from any challenge, on or off the pitch. He’s just the sort of strong character Newcastle need. I have been praying for Al to leave Man U ever since Fergie wasted his talent by putting him in the unenviable, thankless position of attempting to replace Roy Keane. Al deserves better and I hope he’s happy at St James, if this is really true. I used to go to matches at ER regularly and got to know the guy well I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how good he is when given time and patience. Good luck Alan, hope to see you at a game, as long as I don’t get smacked for being a White(!)

• […] Is Alan Smith on his way to Newcastle? It’s possible, although with the players and the managers on break it’s a bit unlikely that anything will be signed / done and dusted before 2nd July. The article in the Mirror itself is full of … well, you get the idea. […]

• Chris

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:18 PM

I can’t believe for 1 second that Owen will go to Man. City. What can they offer him that we can’t. There’s only Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal or maybe Chelsea that he would consider.
    If Owen could be tempted with more money, then Man City are welcome to him anyway IMO!

• Jacob

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Sky Sports are reporting that Rozehnal has agreed to come to St James’s Park. Hope it’s true. I’m not really that fussed by Smith as we are already well covered there, unless BSA wants to convert him to a right back? I’d like to see some defensive signings sooner rather than later…I’m starting to chew my nails now.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Jacob – i saw that and we have put up our own piece – it appears we have won the race to sign him. So maybe we have brought in 2 players today – but not sure either has actually signed – just agreements in place. 😀

• smith's korean fan

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:46 AM

he seened sad when he have a news conference

• hi

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I don’t have a clue why they sold him now I no his isn’t the best player in the world but if u have meet him(like i did) he encourages everyone