Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The big news today is the Mirror is reporting we have tied up a deal to bring Alan Smith to Newcastle for â‚¤3.5M – and we are in with two other clubs for Charlton’s full back Luke Young.
- News breaking in the Daily Mirror that Newcastle have tied up the singing of Alan Smith from the Reds for â‚¤3.5M. This is a good deal for us – and we’re also pleased Sam kept quiet about it to ward off competitors. Good for him.
- A strange report coming out of Nigeria where the police are saying that Oba Martins lied about the masked gunman attack on Monday night. While it did occur Martins was not in the car – only his driver. We’re not sure what to make of this one – but it’s basically a long statement from the Nigeria Police on the incident.
- A report out of the Daily Mirror says we are in a three way race for Luke Young of Charlton. The other two clubs involved are Aston Villa and Bolton. Luke is valued at â‚¤3M and we have a transfer update on Luke today.
- The surprising news that broke last night is that Sevilla have come in for David Rozehnal at the last minute. We cover this story – and it seems strange to us they have come in from nowhere. We think Rozehnal may not really want to move to Newcastle – and if that’s true it’s a pity he didn’t tell us earlier. This one is supposed to be decided today (where did you hear that last?).
- A good report this morning on Steven Taylor – and how he has done himself a lot of good in the Under-21 tournament in Holland. Both Taylor and Milner were a credit to Newcastle and to themselves – and things cannot be that bad if we have two 21 year olds this good. In fact we are starting to feel better about the defense already because Taylor will be a starter – and barring injuries should be evn better next season. Look for Taylor to be called into the full England squad in August and even make his debut – though not as a starter. Be good to see how Steven and John Terry play together 😀
- Report today on Graeme Souness and the Quest report – where they almost exonerate Souness from any blame in his dealings with four Newcastle transfers. Shepherd does all the negotiating in any case so not sure how Souness got involved in the first place. The question mark seems to hang over Kenneth Shepherd – who apparently was not acting on the club’s behalf in the transfer.
We really feel this report is making a mountain out of a mole hill – and it’s dragging on and hurting various people in the game (like Allardyce) without there being any proof whatsoever – by their own admission. We can only cringe at what it is costing the FA and it’s all about rumor and innuendo – which is never very good.
- We have the new change kit unveiled at Newcastle for next season – it looks a little like Manchsetr City’s strip to us – and Joey Barton is showing it off – take a look.
Joey Barton in New Change Kit
- Finally here’s a quote from Sir Les Ferdinand – to lighten up the day
“I was surprised, but I always say nothing surprises me in football.”
As we get new and worthwhile Newcastle news during the rest of the day we’ll add these to this report. We’d appreciate your comments on these stories.