Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The news today is that the Newcastle Board of Directors are being asked to resign but Chairman Freddy Shepherd will stay in place.
- The Sunday Sun this morning is reporting that Mike Ashley has asked the current Board of Directors at Newcastle to resign. Only Freddy Shepherd will be retained to offer some continuity at the club. We run our own piece on this and basically it is good news – although a number of fans will be disappointed that Shepherd is staying (but probably not for too long).
Freddy Shepherd “I’m Staying”
- David Rozehnal has spoken (at last) about his pending move to Newcastle – and he talks glowingly about the club and it’s history. Calling the club huge he also talks about being where legend Alan Shearer played. It’s a good read for every Newcastle fan.
David Rozehnal “I’m Coming”
- News in the Sunday Express that Rafa Benitez has rejected a move for Newcastle’s Michael Owen – in exchange for Craig Bellamy and left-back John Arne Riise (Nice try Sam!). That would have been a great move for Newcastle but unfortunately for Sam – Rafa is not that stupid. Riise especially would have been an excellent capture for Newcastle.
John Arne Riise in Newcastle colors
- News from the People that Middlesbrough have had a â‚¤6M offer accepted by Manchester United for Alan Smith. We thought Alan was tied up at Newcastle – reported by a Daily Mirror exclusive only last Friday – and we run our own piece on this update. Well we guess Alan is not tied up yet – but what is really going on here?
- There’s a story in the News of the World today that Sam Allardyce has lost out to Jose Mourinho for free agents Steve Sidwell and Tal Ben Haim. he says it’s hard to compete with Chelsea right now. Well that’s a reality and we run our own story on this – but remember everything changes over time.
- Finally here’s some quotes that miss whatever they were trying to say – to lighten up the day
‘Shay Given has shaken off a broken nose to play.’ – Grandstand reporter
‘Hughes was not a great deal more reassuring, his lack of a left foot again being apparent.’ – Sunday Times
‘Ben Thatcher is only 20 but he’s already played for the England Under-21 Side.’ – Anglia TV presenter
Given – with Son (and nose)
As we get new and worthwhile Newcastle news during the rest of the day we’ll add these to this report if necessary. We’d always appreciate your comments on these stories.