The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Taylor And Forde Joining Sam’s Newcastle Revolution

10:00 am, Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Two of Sam’s key back-room staff at Bolton, Mark Taylor and Mike Forde look set to join Newcastle in the near future.

Mark Taylor is expected to be appointed Newcastle’s Head of Sports Science very soon. Mike Forde – former Performance Director at Bolton – who turned down an improved contract from them in May – is also looking to join Sam’s revolution at Newcastle.

sam-allardyce-34.jpg

Newcastle Boss Sam Allardyce

Newcastle of course have never had any such back-room infrastructure before – but the board is ready to back Allardyce’s methods 100% after it was so successful for him at Bolton. It also seems like the lure of joining Sam again – and building a new infrastructure from scratch at Newcastle – is just too much for Taylor and Forde to turn down and both will join Sam at Newcastle shortly.

New Newcastle Vice-Chairman Chris Mort mentioned both Allardyce and Ashley yesterday when he said:

“I have worked closely with Mike Ashley on the acquisition of Newcastle but Mike does not necessarily look to be high-profile.
“He prefers to do much of his work beneath the radar. I will be taking a leave of absence from my usual job to devote myself to Newcastle United on a full-time basis in the initial months.
“We want to get stuck into the club to move it forward.
“We are very optimistic about the future here at Newcastle, especially with a manager of Sam Allardyce’s caliber at the club.”

It seems to be full steam ahead now to get behind Sam Allardyce – both on the playing side and in building up his staff at Newcastle. Chairman Shepherd and Vice-Chairman Mort have obviously been given instructions to fully back Allardyce and get these items moving at full speed.

You have to wonder how Sam feels about all of this – since he got the job at Newcastle it’s been an incredible six weeks for him and the club – and he ends up getting a transfer kitty of £50M. This for a man who for eight years at Bolton had to get by on almost no funding. How things can change – but in our view fully deserved for a manager like Allardyce.

Well – in closing – the pace of things is certainly picking up at the club – and we like that.

Comments as usual – are always appreciated.

Tags: Newcastle News

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 chris // Jun 27, 2007 at 10:20 AM

The future is certainly looking good. I’m glad Big Sam is sorting out the back room staff as well as the playing staff.
    With all the injuries we had last season there was something wrong with the set up. If Allardyce can keep the players we’ve already got fit and bring in additional players, then we should have a team that hopefully doesn’t suffer burn out before the end of the season.

• 2 Darren // Jun 27, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Don’t get too excited – Geremi on a free is the latest link today

• 3 Fredrik // Jun 27, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Geremi on a free transfer would be WONDERFUL!

Nothing specific on Geremi though, like when the transfer will happen?!

• 4 Shearyadi // Jun 27, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I will welcome geremy to the club when the news finally become true :)

• 5 D. // Jun 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM

I’d take Geremi on a free. He can play well in a number of positions and has proven himself in the Premiership.

• 6 Darren // Jun 27, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Sorry but I would rather have a hungry player on the way up than a player on the wain.

Dont get me wrong, I think Geremi is a decent enough player but after the performances of Duff & Babayaro, I think we should avoid raiding Chelsea’s reserves for signings .

• 7 Cicero // Jun 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I think players like Duff and the Zog will be much better player under the motivational management of Big Sam.

• 8 Ed Harrison // Jun 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Fredrik – I’m sure we are one of many clubs interested in Geremi – but I think Sam has something to offer and so does Newcastle – top players like Geremi.
    I bet Sam is working his socks off right now.

• 9 Newcastle Major News Stories - June 28th - 2007 | Newcastle United Blog // Jun 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM

[…] News from yesterday’s meeting is that Sam’s key back-room staff from Bolton – Mark Taylor and Mike Forde will soon be joining Sam at Newcastle. Hopefully they can work their magic with reducing the injuries that have always plagued Newcastle – especially over the last two seasons. This will be key for next season – that we can somehow control these injuries – and understand why they occur. […]

• 10 Greg B // Jun 30, 2007 at 12:01 PM

You are right Ed, I bet he is working like a trooper.
    Another backroom staff appointment will be made in the next day or so, new pysio Chris Hanson will be joining Sam. Chris has worked for Sam before but not for a few years.
    Chris got the call from Sam yesterday and although not a household name, I am told he is very good at what he does.

One of our biggest challenges this season will be to keep the players fit and in peak condition. Sam is making all the right moves both off the field and on it.

Without getting carried away the club seems to be finally moving in the right direction, we are looking more organised with Ashley at the helm and more profesional on the recruitment side of things too.
    Give it a season to bed in and then I think we can look forward to a few good years of European football again and dare I say maybe a trophy in the old cabinet.

Here’s hoping.