Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The news today is that Arsenal are said to be after Oba Martins via his release clause of Â£13M. We’re not sure if Martins will leave – but it’s basically up to him. The same is true of our other expensive striker Michael Owen.
- The big news today is that Arsene Wenger would like to take Oba Martins to Arsenal as a replacement for Thierry Henry. They are completely different players so we can only assume Wenger knows how he will be playing Oba. There is no doubt he has been an admirer of Oba for a number of years. We look at this story and conclude it’s basically up to Oba.
- We take a look at a good quote from our own Mark Viduka at the Australian training camp in Singapore. Mark has no idea whether Michael Owen will be at the club next season. We have some news for Mark – we also have no idea if Oba Martins will be at the club next season. So it’s interesting to wonder who Mark’s strike partner will be on August 9th at Bolton. We also look at Owen’s position and for various reasons don’t think Michael will be going anywhere.
- Good news today on Geremi – he has been at Newcastle’s training ground to meet with Sam Allardyce.
An Update on this is now included now in our report – Sam talked today to Sky Sports and says he has not yet been able to talk to Geremi who is on vacation – so the deal will not happen for a number of days.
A Chelsea source last night said he thought Newcastle were the favorites to sign Geremi. Another great free transfer for Sam – if he can pull it off.
We also mention the chase for Habib Beye – which we are also hoping will end in success. The acquisition of these two will go a long way to soothe the anxieties of some Newcastle fans who are concerned about the lack of defensive signings. If all goes well we could have Rozehnal, Geremi and Beye at the club by the time training starts next week – that would be great!
Geremi, Rozehnal and Beye
- A couple of related stories on Newcastle.Newcastle have announced a multi-million pound drinks sponsorship deal with Carling. The four-year agreement, which starts on July 1, is one of the biggest of its type in British sport. Carling previously sponsored the Premier League and have backed the Carling Cup for the last four years, as well as Old Firm rivals Rangers and Celtic. The announcement brings an end to the Magpies’ long association with Scottish and Newcastle.
Former Newcastle utility player Aaron Hughes has moved to Fulham for Â£1M. We previously reported that his former Northern Ireland manager and new Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez was anxious to take Aaron to London. Aaron is Sanchez’s first signing for Fulham and the London fans seemed to have welcomed the signing. Aaron will always give 100% and we always thought he was way under-rated while at Newcastle – certainly he could have helped us big time over the last couple of season – he was hardly ever injured.
Best of luck to Aaron Hughes – at least he will get a lot of games at Fulham – unlike last season at Aston Villa.
- Finally here’s some quotes that miss whatever they were trying to say. Today we concentrate on some of David Beckham’s quotes – to lighten up the day.
‘Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?’ – Interviewer
‘Well, I can play in the center, on the right and occasionally on the left side.’ – David Beckham
‘I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don’t know into what religion yet.’ – David Beckham
‘Alex Ferguson is the best manager I’ve ever had at this level. Well, he’s the only manager I’ve actually had at this level. But he’s the best manager I’ve ever had.’ – David Beckham
David Beckham (Do Muslim’s Get Christened?)
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.