Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The news today is that we finally signed David Rozehnal from PSG for around Â£3M – announced late yesterday afternoon. Also reports today that Edmilson wants Â£80K/week at Newcastle – and we analyze that story.
Also Sam is adding to his back-room staff with news that Steve Round will be coming as Assistant Manager and ex-Bolton staff Mike Forde and Mark Taylor will be arriving shortly.
- News today that Allardyce may be having second thought on bringing Edmilson to Newcastle. The news is that the Brazilian wants Â£80K/week at Newcastle. In our article on this we analyze the situation – but we now understand that’s the wage he is currently on at Barcelona.
Sam has to decide between Edmilson’s ambition and willingness to make his career at Newcastle successful – against just coming only for the big money. It’s a situation we’ve faced before at the club with players like Patrick Kluivert and Marcelino – to name but two.
- We finally signed the Czech Stopper David Rozehnal late yesterday afternoon. We know from comments on this site that some fans were starting to worry about the deal. But it’s all turned out nicely and we ran an article on it yesterday afternoon. We think David will be a success at Newcastle. He’s played 34 times for the Czech Republic – who are no slouches. It also looks like Sam may turn center-back – a big weakness at Newcastle over many years – to a strength. Should he be able to capture Edmilson, Beye and Hyypia – who still look to be his targets – there would be real competition for places at central defense. We also have our local boys Steven Taylor and Peter Ramage ready to fight it out to represent their home town team – and fight they certainly will. Both are first class young professionals – as Sam will soon find out.
- Good article in the Evening Chronicle where Sam Allardcye offers some great news on Michael Owen. Sam says after talking to Michael several times he is 100% convinced that Michael will be a Newcastle player at the beginning of the season. This explains why Sam said a couple of days ago he did not think it necessary to talk to Michael when he got back next week.
We’d also like to see Martins stay so we have Viduka, Owen, Martins and Ameobi as our strike force next year – not too shabby.
- News that Sam Allardyce is making moves to shore up his back room staff as players prepare to return to training next week and a trip to Austria so they can start gelling. News that Steve Round may be joining Sam as Assistant Manager. Round was at Middlesbrough until December last year and has taken an assistant coaching role under Steve McClaren at England. The England position is part time. What now happens to Nigel Pearson is not known – but he may stay at the club.
- News about how Sam thinks he will handle Joey Barton’s well known temper at Newcastle. It turns out that Sam has always taken risks with players and Joey is no exception. However it is very important that Sam be successful in curbing Joey’s erratic and aggressive tendencies – if we are to be successful next season.
- We look at the transfer situation with Eidur Gudjohnsen in our latest Newcastle Transfer Update series. We were linked with Eidur a month or so back and he will definitely be leaving Barcelona now that Henry has arrived from Arsenal. We wonder if Eidur joins Newcastle- will that mean either Martins or Owen will be moved out. Our view is we should go after Eidur – because he is such a good professional and player – and would add value to Newcastle’s squad regardless. Also Gudjohnsen thinks highly of Sam – having worked with him at Bolton in the late 1990s before moving to Chelsea in a â‚¤4M deal in the summer of 2000. Newcastle – under Bobby Robson – were interested in Gudjohnsen at the time – but we got Carl Cort for â‚¤7M instead. 🙁
- Sam Allardyce has finally had a go at his former Chairman Phil Gartside of Bolton. Phil has not been too complimentary towards Sam since he left Bolton Wanderers. As we say in the piece – we’re not sure why these things happen – since it all appears a little childish. But two things seems certain – Sam will continue to speak his mind at Newcastle – plus the atmosphere at the Reebok on August 9th will be electric.
Bolton’s Reebok Stadium
- Finally here’s some quotes from Gordon Strachan of Celtic – who has never really liked reporters – not to mention their questions.
Here they are to try lighten up the day. 😀
Reporter: “Welcome to Southampton. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?”
Strachan: “No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, ‘No, I think they should have got George Graham because I’m useless.'”
Reporter: “Gordon, can we have a quick word please?”
Strachan: “Velocity.” (walks off)
Reporter: “This might sound like a daft question, but you’ll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won’t you?”
Strachan: “You’re right. It is a daft question. I’m not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question”
Reporter: “Gordon, you must be delighted with that result.”
Strachan: “You’re spot on! You can read me like a book.”
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.