Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The major news story is that Sam Allardyce has talked about Michael Owen and what he can learn from his injury. Sam makes some really good points. Also some criticism from old to new – Glenn Roeder offers some criticism to new manager Sam Allardyce. You certainly need a very thick skin to be a premiership manager – glad Sam has one.
- Sam speaks again with Paul Gilder of the Journal and this time talks at length about Michael Owen. Sam makes some good points in this interview. We do think that Michael will be very happy to stay at the club once he understands exactly what Sam plans to do at the club.
- Maybe a little bit of sour grapes as Glenn Roder offers some criticism to Sam Allardyce on Sam asking for 5 years at the club. He’ll not get 5 years unless he’s successful and we know that Sam knows that. But the Mirror also tries to make something of this – that it isn’t.
- We have a transfer update on Alou Diarra who is currently at Lyon. Apparently Bordeax have made an offer for the defensive midfield player. We are said to be interested and Alou has said he wants to come to Newcastle – so we’ve offered an update to the story today. The fee is around Â£5.5M
- I have a general article on SoccerLens today – analyzing which clubs can break into the top four in next few years.You guessed it – Newcastle are right up there. Take a look because it’s interesting in the comments and on the SoccerLens Forum for the article – what other people think of what’s happening under Sam Allardyce at Newcastle – most think it’s very positive for Newcastle.
- Finally here’s some quotes from the football world and George Best – to lighten up the day.
“In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life.” George Best
“He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn’t score many goals. Apart from that he’s all right.” George Best on David Beckham (ouch!)
“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. ” George Best
“I’ve stopped drinking, but only when I’m sleeping” George Best
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.