Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The highlight for us today is that it would appear that Oba Martins is close to leaving Newcastle. Sam has talked one-on-one with Oba but has yet to get any assurances that Oba wants to stay on Tyneside. Couple this with news that Wenger is about to bid the â‚¤13M that will trigger the release clause in his contract and it doesn’t look good.
We are also linked with a mystery central defender who Sam held talks with yesterday. We don’t know exactly who this is but he is being described as high profile. Sam hopes to sign him by the end of the week for his 5th signing at Newcastle – keep going Sam.
- Sam is being linked with a mystery defender today and has personally met with the player yesterday to persuade him to join Newcastle. Sam is reported to have left the Austrian training ground on Sunday to discuss terms with the player yesterday. We can only assume that Sam can weave his magic and the player will be signing for us before the week is out. Who the player actually is we don’t know – but it could well be Habib Beye of Marseilles – at a guess.
- It looks like Oba Martins could be leaving Newcastle shortly – probably for Arsenal. Sam has had one on one talks with the player in Austria but Martins has yet to commit to a Newcastle future but Sam nevertheless wants to keep him. News today that Arsenal are ready to trigger the release clause in Oba’s contract for â‚¤13M – and if that happens it is likely Oba will move. We could then bring in Eidur Gudjohnsen so we don’t think this is all bad news. We think Eidur will be great on Tyne-side.
- We have a piece on Steve Sidwell who elected to go to Chelsea when he became a free agent in the summer. Newcastle were at once thought to be in the driver’s seat for Steve but it was not to be. However, we feel that Steve may be having second thoughts about Chelsea. With all the talent they have in central midfield it’s going to be very difficult for Steve to break into the first team. So here’s another fine English player who will not be playing regularly next season. We think Steve should have signed for Newcastle where he would have got a lot more games and increased his chances of making the England squad – but there again we are completely biased – as usual.
- One of our initial targets Bakari Sagna of Auxerre has just signed for Arsenal for â‚¤7.5M. Sagna is an excellent French right back who just made the full French squad in the summer. He would have been a good acquisition for Newcastle – but Bakari in fairness always said he wanted to join the French Foreign Legion under Wenger – so it’s not really a great surprise. Next on Wenger’s list is said to be Oba Martins – who Wenger has always admired. Let’s hope he doesn’t come asking for young Charles N’Zogbia as well.
- Craig Bellamy has finally signed for West Ham for a club record fee. The 27-year-old Wales captain has signed a five-year deal at Upton Park after scoring nine goals in 42 appearances during his one season at Liverpool. Since he left Newcastle in January 2005 he has played for Celtic, Blackburn, Liverpool and now West Ham.
- Here’s some funny (or even stupid) football quotes for today – again from commentator John Motson – this is to lighten up the day 😀
“The match has become quite unpredictable, but it still looks as though Arsenal will win the cup.”
“And what a time to score! 22 minutes gone”
“Not the first half you might have expected, even though the score might suggest that it was.”
“The World Cup is a truly international event.”
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.