Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The highlight (if you can call it that) for us today is that it would appear that we have missed out on the transfer of Habib Beye – which at one time looked very much like happening. Habib has stated he is happy at Marseilles and wants to stay there – cannot argue much with that.
Good news about young Charles N’Zogbia our potential star in the making is that Sam has already formed a bond with him and taken him under his wing so to speak. Exactly what Charles needed – someone to show confidence in him – unlike Roeder last season who seemed to blame Charles for Newcastle’s bad (or should we say insipid) performances during the last 10 games of the season. West Ham and Bolton are both after N’Zogbia but there’s no way Sam is going to let Charles go – that’s great.
- Unfortunately it looks like Newcastle may have missed out on the transfer of Marseilles defender and Sengalese International defender Habib Beye. Sky Sports ran an interview from Habib in which he says he wants to stay at Marseilles and is excited by their improving team. Interesting that he doesn’t even mention Newcastle. We have two reports on Habib this morning – an early report suggesting Beye was holding out for a better deal and a later report in which we think that we have lost out on Beye’s transfer. That’s life – win some lose some – but now Sam and Chris Mort have to press on with our other defensive targets – and there are many of these.
Habib Beye – missed out?
- A good story today on young Charles N’Zogbia. West Ham and Bolton are both said to be interested in the young Frenchman. But news is that Sam has already impressed the left winger with talks between them in Austria and Sam made it known that Charles is very much wanted by the club. We think that’s exactly what Charles wanted to hear and news from Austria last week was that Charles was giving everything in training. Charles can really benefit from Sam’s coaching and man-management skills and we think Charles knows that. Watch for Charles coming back to his best next season when he should be given a run of games in the first team while Damien Duff is out injured. Look what young James Milner produced last season when confidence was shown in him by the club. Go for it Charles.
Charles N’Zogbia – inspired by Sam?
- One of our young players we let go last season – Michael Chopra – is back in the news. After his excellent season last year at Cardiff – where he scored 22 goals for the Welsh club – he now looks to be leaving Cardiff. Of all clubs – Sunderland – have bid Â£5M for Michael and the deal looks like it will go through. Pity we don’t give our young players more of a chance – hopefully we will start doing that under Sam – but Sam wasn’t noted for that at Bolton. But it’s great for Michael and shows he has guts – as he fought to rescue his career last year. Seems like he was successful
- The takeover by Mike Ashley of Newcastle United PLC continues to go smoothly as Mike has now amassed 95% of the club’s shares. Mike’s company St. James’ Park Holdings will now execute an automatic purchase of the remaining 5% of shares – and the whole deal is expected to be wrapped up sometime next month. We have been impressed with both Mike and Chris Mort – by the way they have supported Big Sam during this time. It is obviously important to rebuild our squad and they all seemed to have worked well as a team – and we think this augers well for the future of Newcastle under Mike, Chris and the always hard working Sam Allardyce.
Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley
- Here’s some funny (or even stupid) football quotes for today – – this is to lighten up the day 😀
‘I’d like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.’ – Mark Draper
‘The opening ceremony was good, although I missed it.’ – Graeme Le Saux
‘I faxed a transfer request to the club at the beginning of the week, but let me state that I don’t want to leave Leicester.’ – Stan Collymore
‘One accusation you can’t throw at me is that I’ve always done my best.’ – Alan Shearer
‘We lost because we didn’t win.’ – Ronaldo
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.