Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
Some good and exciting news today starting with Michael Owen pledging his future to Newcastle. That’s really good news because it will help Newcastle attract a lot more good players to the club. Michael talks in glowing terms of the new set up at Newcastle and spends about 2/3 of his article talking about the good things that Sam has introduced at Newcastle.
Oba Martins will also have talks with Sam when training restarts tomorrow and we think and hope that Martins too will pledge his future to the club.
Aldo Pedro Duscher – who has been linked with Newcastle before – starts a trial at Newcastle starting tomorrow we assume. He is an Argentinian International and comes at a good price – he’s a free agent – and could be another bargain buy for Sam if he impresses during his trial.
- Undoubtedly the biggest football story today is Michael Owen’s commitment to Newcastle – which we’ve been waiting for for around two months now. Michael talks in his article in the Times about Newcastle and the training camp in Austria last week. If Michael is typical of the players reaction in the squad – they seem to be delighted at the new training methods and the new setup at Newcastle.
Michael specifically speaks in glowing terms about Big Sam and how he combines the best of English and European management together. We’re not sure Michael understands how much the fans want him to succeed at Newcastle and fire us into Europe and greater heights – but he’ll be finding out once the season starts.
- Following on from Michael Owen’s good news Oba Martins will be jetting in from Nigeria today to restart the training with the squad tomorrow. He will have crunch talks with Sam tomorrow and we hope Sam will persuade him that his future lies at the club. Certainly Michael’s glowing comments will certainly help if he manages to read the Times on his way over to England. We do think he will commit his future to Newcastle and cannot wait to see how he will improve under Sam. We haven’t seen the best of Oba yet – but we’ve seen enough to know he has electrifying skills and we will never forget the goal he scored against Tottenham at White Hart Lane – 84 mph – and it looked to be going even faster than that – a sensational strike which turned the game completely around for Newcastle.
- The other good news to break today is that the hard-tackling defensive midfielder from Deportivo La Coruna – Aldo Pedro Duscher – is about to start a trial at Newcastle. We think he will arrive for training tomorrow and we run one of our Newcastle Transfer Updates on him today. Duscher is the player who broke David Beckham’s metatarsel in 2002 just before the world cup. He has a good pedigree and comes at a reasonable price – he has just completed his contract at Deportivo and is available on a free transfer. From the initial reaction of some of our fans – there’s a lot of excitement that we should bring Duscher into the squad to fight it out with Butt for the defensive midfield slot.
- We ran this story early today and think Sam’s secret trip earlier this week was not just to attempt to sign Habib Baye from Marseilles. We think it was probably a ploy to try to sign Deco from Barcelona. Sam is also interested in Gudjohnsen and Edmilson who are also at the club – and we think he could have been very productive by spending a day in Barcelona. We’ll see what happens with this but don’t be surprised if we announce one or even two surprise signings in the near future.
- We’re going to leave this story in for today since it’s drawn so many comments from both Newcastle and Sunderland fans. Michael is on Wearside today undergoing a medical and the fee is Â£5M as we reported yesterday – this triggered a release clause (heard of those?) in his contract. That’s a Â£4.5M profit by Cardiff on Michael in one year and we get nothing from the deal. We think Sunderland have got a good deal even though his price has shot up.One of our young players we let go last season – Michael Chopra – is back in the news. After his excellent season last year at Cardiff – where he scored 22 goals for the Welsh club – he now looks to be leaving Cardiff. Of all clubs – Sunderland – have bid Â£5M for Michael and the deal looks like it will go through. Pity we don’t give our young players more of a chance – hopefully we will start doing that under Sam – but Sam wasn’t noted for that at Bolton. But it’s great for Michael and shows he has guts – as he fought to rescue his career last year. Seems like he was successful
- Here’s some funny (or even stupid) football quotes for today – this is to lighten up the day
“Italy cannot beat you, but you can lose to Italy.” – Johan Cryuff
“The Dutch change positions quicker than you can make a cup of coffee.” – Paolo Rossi quote about Holland at the 1978 World Cup
“Without penetration, it’s just masturbation, and right now, we’re playing with ourselves.” – DC United coach Ray Hudson, discussing his team’s inability to score goals.
“He’s a competitor, he’d stab his grandmother in the eyes just for a bowl of porridge.” – Ray Hudson, describing questionable playing style of Dema Kovalenko.
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.