Sam Ready To Get The Best Out Of Albert Luque

Sam Allardcye talked to Newcastle World today about Albert Luque – who has been almost a non-existent player since he was signed by Graeme Souness from Deportivo La Coruna.

Luque signed for Newcastle on the last day of the transfer window in August 2005 for a fee of £9.5M, arriving from Spain with a very good reputation.

Sam obviously realizes the undoubted potential of a player who once fired 13 goals during a season for Deportivo – so let’s take a look at what Sam had to say.

albert-luwue.jpg

Albert Luque

For the record Luque has made 35 appearances for Newcastle (15 starts)  and scored 3 goals. While at Deportivo from 2002-2005 he played 129 games for the Spanish side (80 starts) and scored 32 goals. He has represented Spain 12 times and scored 2 goals. He can of course play left sided midfield or as a striker.

Here’s what Sam had to say about Albert today:

“It would have been nice to have had Albert in Austria as he would have benefited from that but his attitude has been exceptionally good. “I had a little talk with him before we went off to Austria as he flew over to see me.

He got married at the weekend but hasn’t had a honeymoon, he’s been in at the training ground on his own for the last couple of days and it shows he’s willing to come into the fold.”

“Hopefully we can get more out of him than in the past. Having spoken to Albert he’s not wanted to do anything else than be successful at Newcastle,”

While he’s had a bit of criticism about the size of his fee and some performances have been disappointing, from his point of view he does not feel like he’s ever been able to grasp his chance because of serious injury and time taken to settle in.

He’s been fighting against that in the last two years but hopefully we can get more out of him and if we can do that we have another very valuable player on our hands to play for Newcastle United.”

We agree with Sam there – Luque hasn’t been given any kind of run in the team and Roeder almost completely ignored him last season. Glenn preferred to play almost anybody but Luque in the team and that’s difficult for any player.

It also didn’t help Albert’s confidence – which is the first thing Sam must repair to get Luque back to his best. But if Sam and his team can get the best out of Luque – and we know Sam has an excellent reputation in that area – then Albert can still do a job at Newcastle.

Luque must work hard and give it everything he’s got – but we see no real reason why Albert can’t make a comeback and show the Newcastle faithful just what he is capable of. That would be a win for Albert, a win for Sam and most of all a win for Newcastle United.

Go for it Albert.

• dan

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Yeh he’s been crap so far (no denying)…but not everyone can settle as quick as Oba and bang in 17 goals in their first season in england.

I can’t remember him ever having a run of more than 2 games!?? am i wrong?

Lets give the boy a chance, let him build his confidence and see what happens.
    as long as he works hard and lets us know he’ll give 110% – he deserves just that.

Dan

• Kash

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:08 PM

I really hope Luque can turn things around. I remember him having the sweetest left foot and an eye for goal. We’re currently lacking a goalscoring winger down our left, considering Duff is lame at shooting from distance and N’Zogbia is still learning the ropes.

Howay Albert (Deja-Vu), we know you can do it!!!!!

Come on people, show your support to Albert, and he may see this and use it as inspiration. Is there anyway you guys can somewhow have it seen by him or Newcastle staff?

• dan

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Good one Kash.
    People have been too soon in writing him off in my opinion. he hasn’t even played 10 games has he!?

• Soren

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I belive in Luque!!! 🙂 Anyway seriously he has to be given a fair chance on the pitch, because he has undoubtly talent and he seems to be willing to fight for his place. Maybe if the Duscher transfer goes through they can help each other settle, as the most have know each other from their Deportivo days together. But anyways I think SA will be more and able to get the best out of Luque. He has so far shown great man management, and most of all willingness to work with players like Luque, N’Zogbia and Barton.

• Arthur Prince

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I agree absolutely . If Albert has talent the BSA will extractit from him . It will be up to Albert to demonstrate his commitment so maybe just maybe we will see the best of him yet to come and that can only be good for us . Good luck Albert . we wish you well in your attempt to convince yourself and the fans taht you can show what a class act you are .

• nufcstats.com

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

one small correction. he was not signed on last day of transfer window but on 26.08.05 and after that shirt number 10 was still to take so it was obvious something bigger coming (Owen arrival).
    one is sure for me. he did not forget how to play football and I believe he is keen to be a success here. hope this time it will come. Roeder was talking about chances for him but it was just single (usualy poor) outings.
    best wishes for Albert (and us) as this can be one of the most remarkable rebirth.

• Pete

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I really do hope that Luque does well… however I would sell him (even though no-one wants to buy him, not even take him on loan).

I am sick of the everyone saying “oh lets just give him a chance”, he has had plenty of time to demand a chance (on the training field forcing the manager to pick him), I would rather we were just realistic about it. He has definate quality but it just hasn’t worked out at newcastle/england for him – some players it just doesnt ship him out and lets give someone else a try (

• t-g-w

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:28 PM

It would be great to see Luque at his best plyaing for us but I do not think he can cut it in the Premiership. Too much emphasis is put on Sam Allardyce’s man management skills (undoubtably remarkable) on this blog and I feel that not even the Big man can bring the best out of him. This is not a dig at Allardyce but Luque’s general attitude and lack of fight which is needed in the Premiership – he is better suited to Spainsh football.

• Nick

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Well in that case play him … if he does well you get someone you can use as leverage on deals later in the season … 😀

• Pete

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Plus I would rather sam spent time developing Carroll/Taylor/Zogbia/LuaLua/Ramage/Martins etc etc etc

And yes this blog really does masterbate over sams mm skills.

• Todd

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

I seem to recall a number of folks, professional footballers (Shearer I think for one) and otherwise, observing Luque on the pitch during actual matches and all conceding a certain lack of effort and fire in his play.

• Evan

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I remember watching Luque during his first few games in black and white. I cannot recall whom we were playing, but he was terrorizing defenders down the left flank in one particular match. His ball control and awareness were exceptional in my eyes. Then, he got injured and that was the end of that. I think Luque has tremendous potential in England, similar to that of Mikel Arteta. It took him a while to really understand the Prem and this past season was his break-out year. I still question his drive, but if Big Sam says he’s got the attitude, then that’s all I need to hear. I am excited to see if he can become accustomed, as he would be perfect down the left.

• Ed Harrison

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Pete – I’m sure he will – and hey – that’s twice that word’s been used today on this site. 😀

• Big AL

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Ill be honest when we signed him, i heard lots of great things about him, but he never realy got an run of games, he got injured and didnt realy get a chance to impress after that. Admittedly when he did play he oftern looked disinterested but Albert is top Class hes proven that in Spain, and im convinced that BSA can get the very best out of him and i cant wait to see the real Luque 🙂

• JP from The Rock of Gibraltar

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I still have faith in Luque. I can remember watching him play for Deportivo and he was classy then, and class is forever! He has all the ability and in my opinion he is level with Duff on skill. Just what we need as Duff will be injured. BSA going after Aldo Duscher and then praising Luque moments later sounds to me like a plan from Big Sam to ensure Luque settles in comfortably at last. He will get Duscher in and then Duscher will help Luque build his confidence and it will be two signings in one as we will start seeing a much more interested and happy Luque playing football for us the way I know he can!

• Obafan

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:04 PM

I think he will finally get a good chance. Roeder always spoke about his attitude and chance, but I can’t remember a game in the PS that he gave Luque a chance. A chance is not given just 1 game, because last year I don’t think it would have been easy to grab your chance in a team which wasn’t playing fluently. In Palermo he scored the goal that put us through the group stage and after that Mr. Roeder was not willing to give him a normal chance (5 games or more).

BS is playing it very clever, by already giving him lots of positive talks in a way he is now motivating Luque more than ever to proove he can play football. So I would say, good luck to ALbert and I am sure you will achieve your goal: playing a high levelled game here at NUFC.

Evan – it was a game at home against Man UTD, in that game he got injured as well. And he was actually putting lots of pressure on the defence.

• Lew Davies

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:27 PM

PETE_ you really do spout alot of shyte pal. Since Luque got his first injury, (the tendon in the back of his leg snapped, ) no one has shown any faith in him or tried to develop him in any way. The rodent showed what a completely useless twat of a manager he was with no man management skills atall, by never playing him, except last 5 mins or so from the bench when he really had to. Confidence comes after a good run of games starting from the kickoff.
    I,m sure we are yet to see the real AL, but when we do then I bet your going to be masterbating at BSA’s mm skills too. The season hasn’t even started and already you are doing the manager down. I’ll bet you are one of the “boo boys”, always looking for the negative things and totally missing the positives. Me, well I never wanted BSA, but have to admit he is appearing to be tring to change the club for the better, saying all the right things, bringing in new training methods and hopefully getting 100% out of all our players. So I for one am prepared to get behind him and the team and see what happens.(8)

• ricky shah

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:06 PM

for the friendlies i would like to see a 4-3-1-2 system

given

milner
    barton
    n’zog

luque

martins
    owen

we know luque wont track back thaat much, so this may be his most effective position

• Carl Armstrong

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Didn’t Souness say that Albert’s Hamstring was almost completely severed? Come on guys, give him a decent run in the team let him show his magic, remember the last 2 lazy b*stards we had, Ginola and Robert. Dire one minute, sexy sexy sexy the next

• Aussie geordie

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM

When he came he showed good potential and looked like a bit of a ronaldo. Not so many step overs but good speed,a willingness to run with the ball and a fine touch. What he did not show was a willingness to run headlong into another player during a challange. Many took this as cowardice but I think Luque was looking to use his skill as opposed to brawn, not a bad idea considering the rest of the team were bashing heads in and always injured. Roeder was a shit. He always spoke about giving shots to players but ignored the young fellas who did us well at the start and dropped them for the old ones when the got back from injury depsite their crap performanaces. He had to play Duff as he was the star signing leaving Zog and Luque out in the cold. Terrible man managment. But that looks to over now so fingers crossed for the future and lets treat Luque like a new signing and show him support not derision.

• roscoe

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:13 AM

I would like to see this combination played for one of our friendlies provided we get Duscher…
    I think Luque is class!!!

_______Given

Geremi Taylor Rozehnal ?????

______Duscher

Milner____Barton___ Luque

_____Owen_____Martins

• aviluck

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Roeder always said to give confidence to a player you have to give him his chance, which he eventually did with Bramble. But y didnt he give the same backing to Luque. Weird??

• aaron d

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:46 AM

don’t you think its a coincidence that Owen has said he wants to stay just after Liverpool sign Torres, Arsenal sign Eduardo, Man Utd want Tevez.