Allardyce Nervous Until Transfer Window Closes.

Even though Michael Owen has committed his future to Newcastle – and we hope that Oba Martins will do the same today – Sam Allardyce admits in the Evening Chronicle this afternoon that he’ll be on edge until that transfer window closes at midnight on August 31st.

That’s the stupidity of having release clauses in player’s contracts – and hopefully under the new regime we will never have any of those clauses again.

sam-allardyce-34.jpg

Sam Allardyce

Sam told Lee Ryder that the chances of both Martins and Owen quitting Newcastle always remains a possibility as long as the window remains open. That’s due to the get-out clauses written into their contracts. While that’s theoretically possible we’d hardly believe Owen would go back on his word. So we’re not too sure what Sam’s concerned about – unless it’s Martins that’s causing him the heart-burn.

Sam then told Lee Ryder of the Evening Chronicle that he’d be glad when the window eventually closes:

“It is a short window and a very volatile period. “Once the window shuts, we can all breath a sigh of relief.”

“I can reiterate the fact I hope Michael enjoys pre-season with us, scores goals, enjoys his football and helps us become successful.”

“We want more quality players, and we want to be a real force next season.”

Sam was reported to be somewhere other than Little Benton today. His staff are overseeing the squad’s first session back in Newcastle since Austria. Looks like Sam will miss Aldo Duscher’s first day of his three day trial at Newcastle.

Sam was said to be undertaking other business, so we wonder which player he’s after today? Of course we are also assuming that he will have a one-on-one talk with Oba Martins today about Oba’s future at Newcastle.

We are now thinking that it may be a done deal that we’ll sign Aldo Duscher – as long as he wants to join us – after looking at the set-up at the club – and the Newcastle area over the weekend. If that happens it would be another great coup by Sam and 5 good players brought to the club – Viduka, Barton, Rozehnal, Geremi and Duscher – for a net outlay of only £1.5M.  That’s good business in anyone’s language – but when is he going to spend Mike’s money?     😀

• Shaun

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Owen still has not convinced me until he signs a new contract without the clause, he waited along time to see what the main four were doing before saying he would stay. As for Oba, in my opinion I’d hate to see him go as I think he has the ability to be stunning this season. And lastly a quick word about Luque, maybe Sam can get somthing out of him even if it’s only to make him more attractive to buy, so why not give him another crack.
    Even though Newcastle are still rebuilding I’m realy looking forward to the start of season, typical my expectations are sky high but I’ll also be happy to see some real effort put in, Taylor and Milner are good examples to follow.

• aaron d

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:05 PM

I know these release clauses are a pain, but would Owen and Martins have signed for the club if they weren’t inserted into the contracts. Owen is now staying probably because no-one wanted him. Same will probably happen with Martins, i wouldn’t pay £13m for him. I’m looking forward to the transfer window closing and the premiership starting up again, hopefully with a strong and deep enough squad to get us up the table again.

• Kash

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:10 PM

WE’RE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE WITHIN 5 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dimitri

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I have to be honest, I think all of this hype has come from the Media. Owen has told us many many times before that he is happy at Newcastle and that he felt bad for all the injuries he had. He mentioned on various occassions that he felt he owed the Newcastle fans and the club. The papers do what they want, the rumor mill never stops around good players. I respect him for his dignity and not getting dragged in every time there is a story about him.. Try put yourself in his shoes… it is not an easy life. Fat Fred should have known better than to single him out and demand a statement. I am happy that Fat Fred is gone otherwise it may have pushed Owen away. Bottom line is that I believe Owen is a man of his word. Even as a young lad he had his two feet firmly on the ground and showed great maturity. He has come out and again said he will stay while he did not owe us that (I believe), because he had mentioned his commitment bef0re. Lets drop this nonsense and give the lad our full support and respect. The only reason Alardyce is still mentioning these clauses is to show his displeasure about the clauses to the management. Nothing to do with doubting Owen….

On Oba, he also came out not too long ago saying he was happy to be at Newcastle… and even from Nigeria he said he would talk to SA, but that he was looking forward to starting the first pre-season game eventhough he has to jet out to South Africa for the Mandela event. All that boils down to is him trying to get a better deal/contract… He is willing to have the clause dropped, but in return take the opportunity to raise his income. Wouldn’t you? It’s business. He will use his family to support all of his family in Nigeria mind you who do not have much money… So let’s also not doubt him… Unless his demands are too crazy (and lets not believe the papers saying he wants the same as Owen), then I say lets raise his salary and draft a new contrac t w/o the clause…

Now lets get Deco, a left back, a right back and a central defender…

• Brian Strand

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Benayoun had given Westham his word that he will stay, then he took his holliday and when he came home Liverpool made him a offer, and he was gone. You never know, Owen did the same when he was at Liverpool, then the offer from Real Madrid came, and suddenly he thought otherwise. Owen will have to prove his fitness before he is interesting other top clubs.

• Todd

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Now lets get Deco, a left back, a right back and a central defender…

As we say in DC, “That’s what I’M talking about.”

• aaron d

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM

What do people think about sunderland signing Chopra for £5m a year after we sold him for £500k? Do you think he will be a hit or miss in the premiership?

• Ed Harrison

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Chopra will score a minimum of 10 goals next season – that’s a minimum. We should have kept him for another 2 years – he would have got a chance last season – it was a mistake to let him go so early.

• LiamBirchy8

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:11 PM

lets get young,beye,davies/collocini,shorey,duscher and gudjohnsen

Training pics on nufc.co.uk, geremi no.17 and rozenhal no.6. also is that duscher in the background with no.37?

• LiamBirchy8

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:33 PM

or is it troisi????????

• Tommy Toon

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Liam,
    37 looks like Troisi, and all that’s missing from Rozehnal is the captains armband.

• Obafan

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Don’t think that Chopra will be a hit in the PS. Hope for him he will proove me wrong, cause he’s a good guy who always waited to get a decend chance in Newcastle. And he never had it.

I say this not only because I doubt a bit that he is not good enough for the PS, but the main reason why I mention this is: despite the efforts of Keano to build a stronger Sunderland team than 2 years ago; they will not succeed in staying more than 1 season in the PS. So as for Chopra himself I don’t think he will get quality passes that will put him in a direct scoring position. I think he will have to work too hard and if he finally gets a scoring chance he will be to tired to put the ball in the net. It’s my opinion about it (peraps I’m completely wrong ;-))

DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE SITUATION ABOUT BEYE????? HAVE WE PULLED BACK TO BRIJNG HIM TO ST. JAMES OR ARE WE STILL GOING AFTER HIM????

• Ed Harrison

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Well Habib Beye said he wanted to stay at Marseilles and said he would do that unless he was told to do something else. Since his contract has only one more year to run – maybe Marseilles want to get 2M-3M off him now – but that’s unlikely. As far as we know – he doesn’t want to come to Newcastle and has rejected Newcastle’s approach.

• Obafan

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Thanks Ed. Still hope he will come to strenghten our defence. Do yu think we still have a chance? Cause I think he gave his comment to be the good guy without the fans of Marseille to hate him for leaving the club. I saw on the official OM site that he and the other African players are not in training, so perhaps.

Ah I think I’m to keen to have him in a black and white shirt. So I’m afraid my big transfer (in my opinion it would be, cause I like to see him play and I rate him very high) will not go this year.

• Cockney Magpie

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Even if Chopra does come good all we would have to do is click our black n white fingers n he would come running back, When he left newcastle he said he hopes he can return one day once he has proved his worth so hopefully he does really well for sunderland, proves he is premiership quality and then we will take him back! 😀

• Ed Harrison

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Yes – but how much will he cost then – 10M? – that’s what we were frightened might happen when he left.

• Ed Harrison

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Obafan – i’d still love to have Beye at Newcastle – maybe there’s still a chance – maybe next year even – on a free?

• Cockney Magpie

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:33 PM

yes but if he is worth that and Bs thinks he is worth that then thats what we will pay for him but if that does happen i would rather it happen that way than he just sitting in the newcastle reserves rotting away and never really getting a chance, wouldnt you? but personally if i am being honest i think he is just going to turn out as another rob earnshaw, by that i mean will score goals at every level and flop in the premier league.

• valle

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Are u guys serious?… He hasnt even played a single EPL game yet and ur alrdy saying he will score 10 goals minimum and talking about what he will cost to buy back… 10 mil?, u must be joking, this is a whole other ballgame than the championship fellas.

• Howie

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Ed just seen on nufc.com duscher won’t be joining. Thats a pity, he must be nowhere near as good as he used to be. Must mean edmilson is still joining in January.

• Arron

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:16 PM

we aint getting dusher says on nufc.com its a shame i wanted him i bet we wont buy any one for ages.

this is what newcastle are like they dont buy any one 4 ages its like roader in the january transfer window he didnt buy any one only loan and he didnt prove himself

• Obafan

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:32 PM

I think its no shame that Duscher is gone (if this is true that he has left the toon) . I prefer Edmilson to come for that position in the January transfer window. Now we really should be focussing on our defence, as everyone is writing here and they all have it at the right end. So to the staff and BS: please build our defence as soon as possible.I know they all are working very hard to succeed and to bring in the right players at the club, but the longer it takes the longer it will take to create our team. This will cost important points and if there are new players on their way and they arrive a couple of days before the season starts, then they will need more time to know the others and then pressure will be huge, which will cost us a lot of points. And although I’m excited and pleased with the way things are going; I hope we have a good start of the PS this season, cause all the years before our start was aful and that didn’t come good during the rest of the season (this was the case especially last season).

• Hammy

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:18 AM

I’m a big fan of BSA’s wheeling and dealing, he must be a chairmans dream…….but if Mike Ashley is looking to make a big impact why is Sam shopping at Woolies when M&S is next door????

• Hammy

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:21 AM

By the way…Congrats to Ed for the site…you have saved me a fortune in Journal and Chronicle bills, if you are ever at Seahouses I’ll buy you a beer.

• evil dick

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:55 AM

I agree that it was a mistake to get rid of Chopra, he’s exactly the kind of player that would improve under BS. I wish him luck but hope he gets relegated..

• jordan

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Please buy juilio babptista or Peter crouch .