Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
We are linked with two French defenders today in the Journal. They are Rod Fanni of Nice and Franck Queudrue of Fulham. From the reports it looks like Franck really wants to come and play for Newcastle and Fanni’s agent says there is a good chance that Rod will follow him. Those two would be excellent defensive signings for the club.
We still don’t know whether Sam Allardyce has persuaded Oba Martins that his future lies with Newcastle – but the way he was laughing in training yesterday we don’t think it’s a big problem with him that he’s at Newcastle United.
We hope and expect Martins will pledge his future to the club – and hopefully that news will be available sooner rather than later.
- Positive story today regarding Franck Queudrue potentially signing for Newcastle. He will be talking with Sam Allardyce on Monday and we think Franck will be a good singing for the squad. We still expect Sam to sign another top class left back – maybe somebody like Nicky Shorey or Wayne Bridge would be just great for the team. Franck will a be a typical Allardyce defender – tough, tall and experienced and would be good value at Â£1.5M.
Franck Queudrue – signing on Monday?
- Comments from both Sam Allardcye and Mark Viduka on the positive comments Michael Owen made in his Times column on Thursday. While Mark seems delighted he will have a chance to play with England’s number one striker – Sam is still a little hesitant to feel completely happy with the situation. That’s because Sam’s still a bit wary of the transfer window still being open for another six weeks or so. We think that doubt is a little misplaced – however it’s interesting what both have to say about Michael.
- Surprise news today from the Newcastle fans blog nufc.com that Aldo Duscher may have already left Newcastle and will not be signing for us. While we find this somewhat strange nufc.blog is a mature site and generally report valid news stories. So we have run the story this morning. Nothing on this from our local papers yet – so we’ll just have to wait and see if it’s true – but nevertheless it’s an interesting – if as yet an unsubstantiated – story.
Aldo Duscher - already left Newcastle?
- A good story again out of the Journal this morning that links us with defender Rod Fanni of Nice. The 25 year-old Frenchman is up for sale and said to be the heir apparent to Lilian Thuram and he is expected to gain his first French cap next season. While Rod is normally a right back he can play anywhere across the back line and also as defensive midfield. That is exactly the type of defender we need at Newcastle and for Â£3.5M would be an excellent signing.
Rod Fanni - would be great signing
- Here’s some funny football quotes for today from one of our best ever managers – this is to lighten up the day
“Home advantage gives you an advantage.” – Bobby Robson
“Well, we got nine and you can’t score more than that.” – Bobby Robson (after Newcastle beat Sheffield Wednesday 8-0)
“Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?” – Bobby Robson
“I thought that individually and as a pair, they’d do better together.” - Bobby Robson.
Sir Bobby Robson
my quotes are up there
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.