Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
We are linked with Fabio Cannavaro today as the 33 year-old seems to be surplus to requirements at Real Madrid after just one season after his â‚¤13.5M transfer there. We don’t know what the fee is but there are rumors he is a free transfer. Real Madrid certainly throw their money around and change their managers even more than Newcastle used to. No wonder they are struggling – even though they managed to win the Spanish League last year.
- We run a story today on Aldo Duscher who did not win a contract at Newcastle when he came for a 3 day trial last Thursday. It appears he was just not fit enough and Sam obviously didn’t like what he saw. It’s a pity since Aldo came as a free transfer – but Sam knows what he’s doing so no questions there. Still think Sam is looking for another midfielder from somewhere.
- It looks like Fabio Cannavaro is available from Real Madrid after Fabio has spent just one season there and made 31 appearances. With their constant changing of managers Real waste an awful lot of money as managers come in and change the players they need – almost every year. Sounds like another club we are well aware – doesn’t it?
We doubt whether Fabio would be attracted to Newcastle and think he will return to Italy – but Chelsea are also interested – if he can get into their team. We don’t rule out a move for Fabio however – as he certainly fits the profile of players he has managed to get to Bolton over the years.
- Arsenal are reported to have made a â‚¤15M bid for 25 year-old striker Rodrigo Palacio of Boca Juniors. He has only been at Boca for two seasons but while there he has scored 39 goals in 79 appearances. Still the â‚¤15M fee seems high for someone who is completely unproven in the Premiership – although Wenger’s record on spotting real talent is second to none.
- Other stories that are reported today:
- Franck Queuedrue will be talking to Sam Allardyce by phone today once he has talked to new Fulham boss Lawrie Sanchez about his future – which obviously doesn’t lie at Fulham. Queudrue’s wife would like to return to the north east area so as long as Sam wants Franck we believe the deal will be done. The transfer fee is quoted anywhere from â‚¤1.5M to â‚¤3M – and will probably end up somewhere between the two figures. Hopefully we will hear something on the positive side on this today. We believe Franck will be a good addition to the squad and is good value for money.
- Good story on the Newcastle official web-site where goalkeeper Shay Given talks in glowing terms about Newcastle United. Shay is one of the best players ever to wear the Newcastle shirt and certainly will go down as the best goalkeeper ever at Newcastle. He just loves the club – and is a fantastic role model for our kids – and everybody else come to think of it.
Shay is one of our most favorite players at Newcastle and we hope he will remain our vice captain.
The Great Shay Given
- The Journal reports today that Newcastle have held talks with a second French left-back. Both Newcastle United and Wigan Athletic are both said to have been in contact with Franck Signorino of Nantes – as a possible alternative to Franck Queudrue should that deal not happen for whatever reason.
- We are also still being linked with Ronandinho in a â‚¤58M deal – but we’re not sure what Newcastle can offer the Brazilian at this point. Certainly not European football and it will be a couple years at least before we can offer players European Champions football.
- Here’s some funny football quotes for today from one of the best ever managers – Sir Alex Ferguson – this is to lighten up the day – which we all need at some point
“If we can play like that every week we’ll get some level of consistency.”“As with every young player, he’s only 18.”
“Cole should be scoring from those distances, but I’m not going to single him out.”
“The lads ran their socks into the ground.”
Sir Alex Ferguson
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.