Queudrue, Heinze, Beye Not Coming to Newcastle

With some of today’s statements from Sam Allardyce it looks like a few of the defenders we thought may be coming to Newcastle will not be arriving after all.

Let’s take a look at what Sam had to say about the possibilities of Queudrue and Heinze coming to Tyne-side.

Also we know that Habib Beye will not be arriving – and we’ll take look at what he had to say – less than a week ago – that put an end to speculation that the Senegalese International may also be arriving.

sam-allardyce-24.jpg

Sam Allardyce

We had thought – from recent reports – that Queudrue was almost a certainty to end up at Newcastle and had thought that Sam would talk to Queudrue yesterday on the phone. That had been stated by his agent Dominique Six – but it looks like Six was just trying to get some interest in his client. Sam squashed that one by saying :

“I wouldn’t say we have any interest in Franck Queudrue.”

OK we’ll scratch Franck off the list but we thought Franck would have been a decent signing for us given he’s big and strong which is what Sam is looking for in defensive reinforcements at Newcastle.

As for Argentinian Gabriele Heinze – he has always said he wanted to join a club in the Champions League and has never mentioned Newcastle as being one of his favored clubs. Sam talked rather realistically about Heinze:

“Heinze – if I wanted him, I don’t think he would come.

I think he would have hit sights on a greater club than this one.

“Certainly, if he got away from Manchester United, I’m not so sure that it wouldn’t be another club somewhere else in Europe rather than in this country.

“It would be nice if he did want to come and we could pursue it, but I don’t think we can.”

So we think we can now end any talk about Heinze – the first thing that comes out is that Sam may not even be interested in him. We have no doubt that Heinze would improve our defense – but he will just not come to Newcastle – so that’s the end of this particular story.

Now the question is who is Sam really after since we also know that another recent target Habib Beye has stated that he is staying at Marseilles for the next year to see his contract out. Just for the record this is how Beye put an end to Newcastle’s hopes less than a week ago – when he told a French newspaper:

“I am under contract for one more year with l’OM (Marseille) and I do not want to leave unless I am told to go elsewhere,”

“At the appropriate time I will talk with the leaders (of the club), but now is not the time for that.”

“On paper we will have a beautiful team, but that is only on paper,”

“The quality of the squad has improved, but that must be cemented on the pitch.

Well it’s now onto other targets – whoever they may be – in the six weeks left in the transfer window.

Comments always welcome.

• Nick

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Well the reports have been coming in fast and furious about the inability ot sign players. Going by Big Sam’s track record there is no need for us supporters to fear is there?

• Pete

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Maybe the pressure of actully having money to spend is getting to him?

Maybe what Mort/Ashely are saying is untrue and they are not yet prepared to invest in the club until Alardyce has proved himself?

Maybe all the money that is in the PL this year has made the market much more competitive and players would rather play down south with the cockneys that up in the cold north?

• Cockney Magpie

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:35 AM

or maybe he just doesn’t think they arethe right players, apart from heinze Sam just admitted it would probably want to go to a bigger club

• aaron d

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:44 AM

the sooner we get the players in the better, they need time to gel together and these pre-season friendlies, the first of which starts tonight, are perfect for players to get used to playing together. i don’t think it’s down to SA, i think Ashley is holding the money back until he has fully assessed the clubs finances. i think a CB, RB, LB will be signed plus a big name player probably a CM to mark Ashleys intentions, hopefully someone like Diego of Werder Bremden, Riquleme or Van Der Vaart.

• Cicero

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:45 AM

In his interview BSA said he wanted very good players with premiership experience, who does this give us? Nick Shorey from Reading at leftback and Luke Young from Charlton at rightback are possibilities, but I can’t think of any top class centrehalves that we would realistically have a chance of getting unless we could prise Sol Campbell away from Portsmouth.

• Kash

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:02 AM

I’m hoping Shorey and Young are on his radar. However I must agree with Aaron that there seems to be a cash flow issue, in which BSA is unable to act quickly. Luckily for us, Shorey still hasn’t signed a contract and no one has gone in for Young yet. Liverpool have missed out on Milito, so Hyppia looks like he’ll be staying at Liverpool. I haven’t got a clue who the other centre half will be, but it seems players such as Mellberg, Campbell, Ferdinand (WH), Dawson would be attractive options. All have played and exclled at this level at some stage and all are now facing increased competition for a first team place but would be tempted to move. Barzagli would be a great signing and potentially a great investment.

• david veitch

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Sam has said this morning that he needs experienced premier league defenders to stabilise the club and fight for a spot in the top six, so I suppose we are looking at Shorey, Bridges (injured).
    But he won’t panic and buy players who he thinks are not good enough to gain entry into Europe next season.
    Alladyce is looking to build a squad over the next 5 years that will keep us in contention for European competition and will build from solid foundations.
    Forget Deco for the time being and look for solid teamwork and steady but unspectacular improvement in Sam’s 1/2 years.
    He might have to wait until january for one or two of his targets, but remember we are in this for the long haul and we don’t want quick fix answers, we need a long term development plan were we steadily improve the squad and are up there in the top 6 continuously.

• Craig Allen

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Just noticed this article on fansfc – not sure if it’s just more speculation (wrt Newcastle buying Franck) as opposed to him just asking to be placed on the xfer list to receive some interest.

• Ed Harrison

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Looks like Sam is after proven Premiership players – so got to thinmk players like Nicky Shorey, Leighton Baines, Curtis Davies and Luke Young are interesting Sam. Still surprised about Queudrue.

• Darren

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:56 PM

No way will we get Curtis Davies.

SA has already said he wants experience alongside Taylor & Rozenhal, he’s not gonna buy a youngster with one seasons premiership experience for 8m.

Baines is too short also (not my view but one widely reported a month ago – SA likes tall full backs apparently).

Luke Young isn’t good enough in my opinion.

Nicky Shorey I would take though, but he isn’t that experienced is he?

I’d have Quedrue like a shot though, he’s tall & strong in the tackle and at 3m ish he is worth a punt.

I wouldn’t be suprised to see a bid for Hyppia soon too.

The trouble with being out of Europe is we are looking at bargain buys – we cannot attract the real cream of the crop, hopefully that will change in a years time.

• michael

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Quedrue is substandard to say the least. Shorey and Baines have about 0ne good season between them. Davies is overpriced. Luke Young is probably a decent bet, but we can’t piss about ot he’ll be at Villa tomorrow the way Martin O’Neill is going. We’re now entering the Roeder stage of the window, were everything slows down and we are forced to invent our own rumours for fun.
    Big, strong very, very good defenders with Priemiership experience? He asks a lot doesn’t he?
    Having perused the squad lists those that fit the bill currently with a premiership club this season who could be prised away could be:
    Mellberg, Yobo, Hypia, Wes Brown, J O’Shea, Mendieta, Sol Campbell, Ingimarsson, Michael Dawson, Anton Ferdinand. And that’s really about it. Not even all these are particularly suitable.
    So in the Championship what are the options? Curtis Davies, Luke Young, Diawarra. No one else appears to fit the criteria, from that league.
    Looks like we’ll be shopping in Europe then.

• AB

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:49 PM

michael: I agree with some of what you’re saying, Queudrue is naff but I’d take a risk on Shorey. Davies is overpriced, but I can see WBA dropping their price as the window goes on, he doesnt want to be there and they know it. I don’t really rate Young (he goes missing from games a lot) so I’d prefer this Fanni fella because at least he has some pace (apparently).
    Melberg – No, Yobo – Yes but dont see him being sold, Hyypia – No too slow, Brown – No, O’Shea – NO!, Mendieta???? – No he’s an old, crocked semi-attacking midfielder!!, Campbell – Maybe but I don’t think he’s for sale, Ingimarsson – No just signed a new deal I think, Dawson – Definitely not for sale, Ferdinand – Maybe, but I think he’s overrated.

I agree that for available Premiership defenders, there are about err, none. I hope Sam surprises me soon, but unless I’ve missed someone glaringly obvious, I think we’re in trouble. Lets get a bid in for Shorey while he’s still not committed to Reading.