Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
Sam offered some good quotes on various Newcastle players following the 3-1 win against Hartlepool United last night.
News also that Newcastle United have finally become a private organization again – as their shares have been delisted from the London Stock Exchange.
- Lots of good quotes from Sam Allardyce after the game against Hartlepool United last night. Sam was very pleased with the showing of Shola Ameobi and Michael Owen – our goal-scorers last night in the second half. He had some good things to say about the two strikers – that were essentially missing through injury last season. They are essentially two new players for us next season – and they both looked good last night.
Fit Shola Ameobi
- Joey Barton started his Newcastle career in style as he was the star player for Newcastle last night. Sam had some glowing praise for the 24 year-old but his playing ability has never really been in doubt. It’s his character that we are worried about. We quote Joey on his England career and the falling out he had with Stuart Pearce at Manchester City. But it’s essentially in Barton’s hands (or feet) as to whether he can fulfill his immense promise at Newcastle.
- When you look at the team that was on display last night we had a lot of the youngsters taking part and we look at some of the players. Quite a few of them will be pushing for a place in the first team squad this season – which is good for the club. Certainly the youngsters last year did a great job when they were brought into the team. We still believe Newcastle needs to concentrate on youth at the club – because it will save us millions over the years. There were a number of youngsters on display last night – several of them who will make the grade at Newcastle (hopefully).
- We have an article about Kieron Dyer today after Sam Allardyce talked in glowing terms of Dyer’s capabilities today to the Evening Chronicle. We think it’s time that Kieron really produced for Newcastle with the performances he has been promising for the last eight years or so. No doubt he can be a magical player and we look forward to Sam being able to get the best out of the former Ipswich player next season. If Sam can’t then nobody can.
- Newcastle United have finally gone private again and now Mike Ashley fully owns the club. We hope in this article that funds will now be readily available to Sam Allardyce – as he attempts to complete his buying for the summer – by bringing ion 3 additional defenders. We also think the takeover was handled extremely well by the Ashley team.
- News today that Franck Queudrue thinks the move to Newcastle may be complicated. Since there has been no bid from Newcastle it’ll be very complicated if we don’t bid for him.
Sam Allardyce did state yesterday that he had no interest in Franck so we’re not sure what will happen to Franck – but would be surprised if anything happens soon. We personally would like to see Queudrue join Newcastle – but believe that is now unlikely.
- Here’s some funny football quotes for today – again from one of the funniest managers – Ron Atkinson. This is to lighten up the day.
“They must go for it now as they have nothing to lose but the match.”
“If Glenn Hoddle said one word to his team at half time, it was concentration and focus.”
“Beckenbauer has really gambled all his eggs.”
“I think that was a moment of cool panic there.”
“I would also think that the replay showed it to be worse than it actually was.”
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.