Allardyce Admits Owen was Big Draw to Newcastle

Sam Allardyce has admitted in a report today in the Northern Echo that coming to Newcastle was made a lot easier when he looked at the players already at the club.

One player of course who stood out was Michael Owen – even though Michael had been injured most of the time during his tenure at Newcastle.

Turns out Sam couldn’t resist the temptation to come and manage the likes of Michael Owen and others at Newcastle.

sam-allrdyce-21.jpg

Sam Allardyce
Michael – I’m Coming!

This is what Sam told the Northern Echo today:

“Michael was one of the reasons I came here,”

“When you decide to come to a football club you look at the players they have and ask yourself what chance you have of being successful.

“You look at the likes of Michael, Shola (Ameobi), Obafemi Martins, the Kieron Dyers and people like that.”

“It makes you want to come and add to them.”

“ I am here to be more successful than I was at Bolton, and the quality that is already here obviously delights me.”

Given his admiration for Owen the next question is whether Sam will make Michael his captain. Michael has been talking about that – and when asked about being captain he told the Evening Chronicle yesterday:

“Yes, I would love to skipper Newcastle United.

Michael apparently wants to prove to Newcastle fans that he is committed to their cause – so being captain would certainly be a step in the right direction. Sam is not really spoiled for choice as far as the captain is concerned – with other possibilities being Shay Given, Nicky Butt, Joey Barton and Steven Taylor. However, it would be a risky choice appointing Joey Barton – even though he captained Manchester City.

With Sam’s obvious admiration for Owen – making Michael captain might just happen.

What do you think?

• Tony_D

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:58 AM

If MO is committed enough to captain the team then he should have no problems removing the get out clause from his contract.

If he was to do that then I would like to have him as Captain

• Kash

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:15 AM

I think MO will stay the season and see how we’ve progressed. He has an affinity with Liverpool, but Benitez doesn’t like him because he is such a cult figure and he’d be bigger than the manager (sort of like Shearer). Make him captain, he’s the obvious choice. He is an asset to us, and as long as we get out back line sorted, Newcastle will once again be aiming for the top spots. Under Big Sam, we’re going to be alot more organised, especially at the back. And as all the top managers know, you build your team from the back. Do that, MO will stay and European football will be back at home!!!!

• rich

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:23 AM

well said tony exatly wot i wor tinkin man

• Bjorgvin

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:07 AM

He’s only played a handful of games. I think it would make more sense in giving the armband to the likes of Shay G.

• AndyT

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Tony – I dont think we’ll see the clause come out of either his or Martins contracts before the close of this window. However what I think is a possibility is to give MO the arm band, then bewteen now and January look to re-negotiate his contract in general. Given that there are 2 years left on it this would be a relatively normal approach anyway. If he’s skippering the side and we look like being successfull I think you may see him get an improved salary and sign a three year contract (efectively compensation for removing the clause and an 18 month extention) personally I’d be over the moon with that.

• Neil

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:36 AM

If he wants to, then I say give him that chance. There’s no way a captain would put in a transfer request in January. Oh wait a minute Barton and Reo Coker both did.

• Shaun

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:39 AM

If he’s going to stay the distance yes, but if he’s just waiting for the January window to open then no

• aviluck

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM

MO is the perfect candidiate

• evil dick

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I think if we give him a taste of it he will stay.

It’s not his fault there’s a clause in his contract, and I agree that we could renegotiate his contract before January. Just imagine Owen lifting up the fa cup next may!

• Darren

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:38 PM

If Martins or Owen goes we should take a look at Castillo of Olympiakos.

Sven is rumoured to be after him for citeh, take a look at him on youtube here… http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=htu9QZYttMs