Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
We concentrate on some of the Newcastle players today with news on Shola Ameobi, Geremi Sorele Njitap Fotso (for short – Geremi) and Michael Owen. There’s also a good story originating in the Northern Echo on why Sam Allardcye was persuaded to come to Newcastle.
Nothing at all yet on transfer activity but we expect Sam and others to be working furiously on bringing at least 3 new defenders to the club.
- We spotlight Shola Ameobi today now that looks to be over his hip injury. Shola needs to score goals this year to get (and keep) his place in the Newcastle line up. There is great competition for places next season but we think now that Shola’s fit he’ll be a lot better than most fans think. But Shola just has to start scoring more goals to be a viable striker at Newcastle – although he has learned from the great Alan Shearer – how to make his immense physical presence felt.
- A good interview today with Geremi from Newcastle World TV. We believe Geremi can be one of Sam’s best signings at Newcastle and this boy certainly gives 100% effort and has the vast experience to go with it. He’s going to be massive for us next season – and he certainly seems happy – we’ve never seen him smile so much. The picture below with Big Sam is just a great photo of the two of them.
Sam and Geremi
A new rock group?
- Good story today originating in the Northern Echo on one of the things that persuaded Sam to join Newcastle. It was the excellent players already at the club like Michael Owen and Kieron Dyer. But it looks like Sam was tempted most by the possibility of managing Michael Owen. You don’t get the experience to work with England’s best striker too often. It’s interesting that Sam keeps mentioning how he admires Dyer. In management you usually get what you expect from people. Sam expects a lot from Kieron – so we hope he can bring out the best in him – then we’d really be motoring next season.
- We’ve heard a number of stories over the last couple of days that Oba Martins has turned down an approach from Arsenal. We take a look at the validity of that story today and quote someone close to Oba. Of course with his release clause Sam Allardyce is still concerned about Oba (and even Michael Owen) although we think Oba is too excited about what’s happening right now at Newcastle to want to leave. A few wins early in the season and Oba will start to see he is playing at one of the real hot beds of English and European football. Just think what it could be like if we were actually successful again.
- Here’s some funny football quotes for today – again from Ron Atkinson. This is to lighten up the day.
“His head just disappeared into his shoulders.”
“He had acres of time there.”
“Think of a number between 10 and 11.”
“There’s lots of balls dropping off people.”
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.