Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
In reality it’s been a very slow week for news and not a good one in terms of signing the defenders we need.
We expect Sam to step up his activity to get into the club the 3 defenders we need. Once we have them we will have a very good squad that can do battle until January – when additional transfer targets will likely be pursued.
- Surprising news from last night that Newcastle and N’Zogbia have been ordered – by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) – to pay compensation to Le Havre for the transfer of N’Zogbia to Newcastle nearly three years ago. It turns out Newcastle have so far paid nothing to Le Havre so the Â£200K they have been asked to pay is very reasonable. The player himself must pay the Ligue 2 club Â£440K – which seems to us a little ridiculous. But Charles is very well paid at Newcastle so we think he can afford it – but why he has been penalized is beyond us. We are looking forward to Charles rekindling his magic this coming season for Newcastle.
- News today that West Ham would like to sign Kieron Dyer from Newcastle. Alan Oliver also had this story in yesterday’s Evening Chronicle – but we think it’s nonsense to even think Dyer will leave Newcastle. Sam Allardyce is just too upbeat about the possibilities with Kieron – and we feel the two of them have already formed an excellent working relationship. Next season could be a career season for Dyer with Sam coaxing the very best out him. No way will Sam let Kieron go.
- A very good interview with Michael Owen yesterday. It’s obvious that Michael would really like to be Newcastle captain this coming season. He would take it as an honor and we think there is a chance he could indeed be selected captain by manager Allardyce. Michael seems confident again – and very fit – and just cannot wait to start the season and knock those goals in for the Magpies. Michael has always been a great goal poacher and could help us to get many extra points next season. Go for it Michael.
- A good interview with Sam Allardyce talking about his Newcastle squad. While Sam says it’s already strong – he reiterates the need for three strong and experienced defenders. We agree – so what’s the hold up in bringing these players to Newcastle? The sooner we can get them in the better for the squad. There seems quite a few players available that fit Sam’s profile – Franck Queudrue, Luke Young, Nicky Shorey, Sami Hyypia, Curtis Davies, Gabriele Heinze, Wayne Bridge and Leighton Baines. If we can capture any two of these it would be a good start.
- Here’s some funny football quotes for today. This is to lighten up the day.
“Now we’ve got Southgate” – Bobby Robson, on signing Jonathan Woodgate
“He’s the only man I know who could start an argument with himself.” – Bobby Robson on Graig Bellamy
“I was inbred into the game by my father.” – David Pleat”
“Without picking out anyone in particular, I thought Mark Wright was tremendous.” – Graeme Souness
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.