Sam Still Searching for Three Good Defenders

Sam Allardyce has been talking again about the Newcastle squad and the need to get three new defenders into the club – which will round out the squad.

While there’s no panic and still time left in the transfer window – we still have to ensure we are not left short in defense – like we were last August when we failed to sign three players on the last day of the transfer window.

The sooner we get the defenders in the better.

sam-allardyce-65.JPG

Sam Allardyce

Sam Allardyce talked about his squad yesterday and the need to get the goals spread around:

“We have got to get more goals from other players in other positions rather than Oba or Michael – obviously, Mark Viduka has a good goalscoring record and Shola is back with us now, who has a decent goalscoring record, and Joey Barton has been the leading goalscorer at Manchester City.”

“There are more possibilities for goals in the side, we have just got to get the permutations right.”

“But the big concern is I want to score one goal and win a game of football. I don’t want to have to score three every game.”

“That has been the case at Newcastle for the last two years, that is why they have not got to where they should go, because they have conceded far too many.”

“That is why I am looking to make sure I sign quality defenders to get those clean sheets which can be very, very important and mean one goal can win us three points.”

Sam has already brought two good defenders into Newcastle in Czech center-back David Rozehnal and Geremi – and still wants another three strong and experienced defenders. It still looks like Barcelona’s Brazilian star Edmilson is likely to join Newcastle in the January time-frame when he is fully fit – but Sam’s concern is to bring other defenders in right now. Like any good team we have to be able to secure clean sheets next season and a 1-0 win is OK by us – as long as we get the 3 points. That’s something Newcastle have struggled with at least over the last 10 years or so. Sam seems determined to correct that flaw.

Sam went on:

“Overall, this squad is very, very experienced and very talented.”

“What we need is new players to go with it – and particularly defenders now, and quality defenders at that.

We must find some big, strong, experienced, good defenders.”

Seems like Sam would want to bring in players already experienced playing Premier League football. Players seemingly available in this category include Franck Queudrue, Luke Young, Nicky Shorey, Sami Hyypia, Curtis Davies, Gabriele Heinze, Wayne Bridge and Leighton Baines. Surely we can make some progress with at least a couple of these – although Sam has already said he is not interested in Queudrue.

Comments very welcome.

• Howie

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:42 AM

I don’t know what the fuss is regarding Curtis Davies.Yes he has potential but so did Bramble!

• Steve R

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Baines and Shorey both seem quality left backs, which is the area we really need to improve big time! Why is there no mention of us bidding for them, with talk of West Ham and Sunderland bidding only? If Big Sam thinks they are not good enough, who on earth is?? Especially as Heinz is probably too good for us (he’ll go to a Champions League team surely!)

• Kash

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Apparently Drenthe has decided who he is signing for, but is waiting for clubs to make official. He does look a quality player, but not sure if its Sams cup of tea. But I hope maybe Sam put a bid in for him, he has potential to be a top top player.

• Howie

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Again it is all potential.Sam is after proven players. He can’t wait for players to produce the goods in 2 years time. Once the club is established in Europe ina couple of years again that is when you go for potential.

• LiamBirchy8

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:04 AM

luke young 2.7m
    Hyypia 1m OR Campbell 2m
    Baines 6m

With three proven premiership players we could go for Barzagli 5-11m

• Kash

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:05 AM

I agree Howie, but certain players (like Drenthe) IMO already possess the ability to perform now, but have the potential to be even better in the future. We, like Man Utd, should be looking to secure such players with the resources we have. Drenthe is a LB/LM and would do a job for us, as well as provide competition against the other LB we sign. We can offer more football than Chelsea/Real Madrid.
    I personally think than we missed out on Herman Hreidesson from Charlton on a Free. He is exactly what Sam wants….big, strong, capable, experienced LB/CB. He would be ideal for the squad.
    I read yesterday that Riise is looking for a new contract. If Liverpool sign Chiellini, I can see him leave (hopefully for us)!

• Kash

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:09 AM

If Inter Milan sign Chivu, I can see Marco Materazzi leaving. He’s similar to what BSA is after!

• P.collins

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:12 AM

At the end of the day we have no say on who comes or goes, but i’m sure Sam will be working hard in trying to find the right men for the job, whether there young or old, just as long as their proven and experienced to cut the cloth in a Black & White shirt is all that matters.

• TOON1

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:17 AM

i would go for shorey for lb ,as he seems to be waitin for a team to come in for him.If not him ,when officials were in barca we should have enquired about silvinho [ex gunner]who is a quality player and not getting a game at nou camp.For central defence i would get Barzagli ,who is very highly rated,and sol campbell as he would be very good squad player,and actually wanted to play for toon last season.We also need a RB ,carr not good enough .luke young maybe or justin hoyte from gunners,young with huge potential.

• Kash

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Well it’s not only us who have gone quiet on the transfer front. It seems all other teams are pre-occupied with pre-season. I’m sure it will pick up after the weekend, once the initial intensive training is over. I’m still looking forward to my London Away trips, especially when i’ll be singing;
    “You only sing when you’re winning, sing when you’re winning” to Chelsea fans. And “Champions league, you’re having a laugh” to Arsenal!

• sam gardner

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:48 AM

what about cicinho
    lucio
    evanilson
    cris
    felipe
    are balde

• sam gardner

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM

i dont know these are some alright defenders but WE NEED DEFENDERS !!!!!

• Howie

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:58 AM

A bit off the topic but I can’t believe some of the buys going on with the smaller clubs in the prem. 6m for Mido from Spurs to Brum is just ridiculous. I’m not just saying this just cause I’m a Toon fan but we have done the best business so far in the transfer market by a mile as regards spending money and bringing in quality. I know defence is obviously the priorty, especially left back but is it just me or would you be worried about our midfield if Nicky Butt got injured as we would have no cover in defensive mid.

• Hog

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Is Vincent Kompany (CB) as good in real life as he is in management games?!

• Tony L

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I think you need the blend of defenders as P.Collins and Liambirchy say. However if we wish to target Europe this year we need to sign some class defenders and sell the club to them on terms of a aims for the 3/4 seasons. We should be looking at Barzagli, Campbell and tie something up soon as teams like look to be mvoing further ahead of us.

Once BS has signed his defenders, I think a big name signing is an idea for additional increased marketing. Earlier this week BSA did mention it would be a nice gift to have a galatico!!!

• Obafan

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:15 PM

No please not Kompany. I’m from Belgium and according to me; he is one of the most overrated players Belgium has ever had (the same story with Vanden Borre). He still has to proove himself in Hamburg, because last year he was injured and played only a few games. I think he will not succeed there and then return to Belgium (Anderlecht), where he will be very god. But the only reason for that is the fact that the Belgian league is very poor.

I hope we sign those 3 quality defenders before the season starts. Because otherwise I can see it happen again that we completetly miss our start, like we did in the last couples of seasons. The nerves grow and it’s January before the team starts to have a run of winning games.

Barzagli
    Baines
    Campbell (should already have played for us, but Mr Roeder thought he was too old. How stupid can a manager be)!!

• JimD

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Curtis Davis-no. One prodigy is enough for our defence to handle in my opinion. Experienced players are essential. I trust in Sam to sort it out though.

• todd

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I don’t see the necessary aggressive approach from the club to shore up its defensive folks, and the comment about needing a DMF to spell Butt if and when he needs a break or gets injured is on point, but I do know if by some miracle the team signs Drenthe, I will buy 7 Drenthe Toon jerseys and wear them every day of the week. That kid is a BEAST…and people here in the US marvel at Fredy Adu! Bahahahahahahaaha!