Should Michael Owen be Next Newcastle Captain?

Michael has been talking to Sky Sports and has insisted he is really looking forward to this coming season after going through a lot of misery and torment due to his injuries since he joined Newcastle almost two years ago.

Michael talked on a lot of subjects – and we expect Sam Allardyce to shortly name the captain of his new resurgent Newcastle United.

We feel that if Michael gets the armband he will take it as a huge honor for himself – and that will only further commit him to the Newcastle cause.

Let ‘s take a look at what Michael told Sky Sports News on Thursday.

michael-owen-77.jpg

Michael Owen

Michael started his conversation with Sky Sports by talking about his injuries:

“I don’t want any bad injuries this year and if I can stay fit and healthy then I’m sure I’ll score a few goals,” “I don’t feel any different now. I feel like I did before. “It’s been a disappointing year, especially last year.

“I want to play well this year, I want to score goals and I want to make people happy. “If I’m fit and healthy I think everyone knows I’ll score goals. “I’m feeling sharp and strong at the minute. I’m confident it’ll be a good season. “

“If the manager adds a defender or two to the squad then I think we’ll be covered in every position and have a good team.”

Michael probably has a good chance staying free of injuries because of Allardyce’s excellent record on injury prevention at Bolton. Whatever he does it certainly seems to work since Bolton were continually the team with the lowest number of injuries in the Premier League. If Sam can replicate that at Newcastle he will already significantly raise his chances of being successful – because injuries have wrecked our last two seasons. The reduction in injuries will be hugely important for the team this coming season.

Michael continued about the possibility of being Newcastle’s next captain:

“I was asked about it the other day. I think there are plenty of good candidates in our squad already,” “It would be an honor to be asked, but we’ll wait to see who the manager is going to ask.

“There are plenty of other candidates so we’ll wait on that one.”

New boss Sam Allardyce is yet to name Scott Parker’s successor and Owen is one player who has been mentioned to win the armband. Sam knows the type of player he wants as captain but we feel if Michael is given the armband he will think it a huge honor – and will give him that extra responsibility in the team – which may be all that’s needed for him to commit fully to Newcastle’s resurgence under Big Sam.

We know Michael admires Alan Shearer – and to be put in Alan’s position even though he is not a Geordie – will do wonders for Michael. We think that would be great for Newcastle and just as good for Michael. He will then feel he has really everything to play for in the coming success of Newcastle United under Sam Allardyce.

Owen is also closing in on a century of caps for England and since he is still only 27 years-old he has a great chance of making that mark – and many more – if he can just stay fit and healthy.

Michael finished by mentioning his obvious pride in playing for England:

“It’s everyone’s dream to play for their country. To play 82 times, it’s a great achievement.”

“If I didn’t have this injury or that injury I might have got to 100 caps already.”

For us young Steven Taylor or Michael Owen would be inspired choices for captain by Big Sam – for different reasons. Steven because he is black and white through and through – Michael because he is our most experienced player on the International stage and well known throughout the football world.

Let us know what you think – do you think Michael should be the next Newcastle captain?

• JB

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM

It’s not an easy decision.

Shays’ the obvious candidate, but he’s stuck in the nets. Taylor’s too young and Gerimi’s an unknown quantity. Butt’s got to be a strong favourite because of his quality, leadership by example and experience. Barton’s got the passion and determination but his temprement’s questionable. Owen’s a dedicated professional with excellent experience, but a leader? I’m not sure. I think that Viduka could be a dark horse as he has most of the positive qualities mentioned above (and is currently his national side’s captain).

One thing’s for sure. It won’t be Solano as he’s on his way soon. Maybe even before the end of the season. Have you seen the latest?

• ende

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:10 AM

Ed, you heard it from me first! Well, I suppose it’s an obvious choice, but look back at my previous posts 😉 This would put to an end all doubts about Owen’s future here at Newcastle. Michael rests at a cross roads… he can either move on to uncertain fortunes elsewhere, or he can take his place among the legends as an adopted son of Newcastle (melodramatic, I know!). As I’ve said, Michael is seeking his fortune and legacy… and rightly so. Big Sam’s Newcastle revolution presents the big opportunity that Michael has likely been seeking elsewhere, but instead it lies here in his lap right here at Newcastle. Young Taylor will have his day, and rightly deserve it. Most would probably agree, however, that he is still young.. but a vice captaincy would suit him well for the future role, plus give us some direction from the back. Owen, assuming he commits himself to a future here, provides a good face for this club. He has the skill, entertainment factor, and charismatic presence necessary in a good leader. The main component, however, is leadership (obviously).. and whether he provides that remains to be seen. I personally think he would be a great choice, though.

Failing that, Shay or Viduka would be very good choices as well. Again, Taylor is too young.. but should certianly be considered a future prospect for the role; as well as Milner.

• aaron d

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:22 AM

i don’t think a goalkeeper should be a captain, so that rules Given out. Talyor would be a great captain in a few years time, asking him to be captain would put too much pressure on his young shoulders. Butt i don’t think will be a first team regular, with Barton, Emre and Dyer fighting for a CM postition. That only really leaves Owen, would be a good captain, has captained before, if he was to sign a new contract he should get it.

• MightyMilburn

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:36 AM

First of all a bit of brown nosing – great blog Ed (enjoy reading on a daily basis)

Should MO be the next Newcastle Captain.. Well here are the obvious pro’s..

* he is hard working (when he is playing)
    * he is fair player
    * he is one of our best players in the squad at the moment – based on historic events/achievements
    * he is respected by his team members (I assume)
    * he (might) feel more committed to the cause if he is handed the extra responsibility

Here are the cons
    * Will he stay injury free to lead the squad for more than 10-15 games this season? Know BSA’s track record of low injury-squads, but is MO’s body crippled from playing competitive at a very early age?
    * Why didn’t he come out and dement the rumors this summer? I know that it would be a full-time job to continously comment on rumors that the press stumps up – but if he had stepped up (just once) and stated “NOT GOING ANYWHERE” (simple – actually) he would have done himself proud..

My personal opinion is that he was holding out for one of the big 4’s to come in for him, but as they didnt he thought “nobody else is going to pay an alleged injuryprone player 100k+/week than NUFC so I might as well stay..” Is this the type of captain we want at NUFC? Committed when there is a gain – and out the door if the slightest wiff of greaner pastures is just around the corner..

I dont know – maybe I am just expecting too much from players today.. Dont get me wrong.. My response is not meant as a “lets-all-slag-off-MO”-rant. I really want to keep him as a player.. but should he be our captain?? I have my doubts.

I believe if he is selected as a captain – it is more due to the fact that there are no obvious alternatives (besides Given)..

• aviluck

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:39 AM

MO is the obvious choice. He has already captained England and BS has already said that he has been inspired to come to Newcastle because of players like “MO”.

• emma nsubuga

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:13 AM

it is my prayer that Big Sam makes Micheal Owen our new captain because we still need some one who will not make us miss Shearer’s leadership and I believe owen will really do that just as Parker had tried.

• Ed Harrison

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:17 AM

ende – you could be right. But just not sure who Sam will eventually choose – but whoever it is it’ll be the right choice. It’s obvious that Michael would take it as a true honor .
    Also – he’s going to have to make decision soon. I wasn’t too keen on Michael at first but feel he is being very truthful in his interviews etc.

• Ed Harrison

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:19 AM

JB – i suppose that means Solano will be back quickly playing for Peru – he’ll manage the side one day.

• Arthur Prince

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:08 AM

Ed – have you any news on the appointment of the backroom staff ie people like Forde etc who back up BSA ‘s scientific approach . If the scientific staff is in place then Michael Owen’s chance of staying fit improves significantly and the” injury prone ” label becomes less of a factor in considering Michael as a potential Ca ptain .

Re C aptain choice . This is difficult . C andidates include Steven Taylor (poss too young and inexperienced at present – but will definately be in the future ) Nicky Butt ( will he play a lot of the time ? but good professional ) Joey Barton M ark Viduka ,Geremi all possible candidates (but all just arrived so less likely ) Shay Given ( goalkeeper not a good position for Captain – but no oen could quetion jis commitment – great player and very faithful ) So Michael owen is a good poss choice . Ed is he good when on the pitch at inspiring the team ? like John Terry or Steven Gerrard does ??

• JB

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:37 AM

There’s a lot of flag waving for Owen her but I think you’re missing the fact that it’s effectively a career return for him and he could do with concentrating on himself.

That’s sarcasm, by the way. He’s a world class striker, multi-millionaire with a first rate publicity team because he’s a selfish meglomaniac. I’m really not sure he has the qualities to reflect the Geordie team. Essentially, we’re Socialists. This might all be a bit esoteric but there’s something about what I’m spouting.

Shearer was defined as a spit n’ sawdust Geordie who could (and would) slap a colleague for getting out of line and have no trouble telling it straight. The ideal Captain, in my opinion, is the man who takes the flak when it doesn’t go so well and can stand up to trouble. That’s why my preference would err towards Butt or Viduka. And there’s a lot of the Toon Army that still think Owen left it too late to state his intentions with NUFC. At the bottom of it all, he’s a mercinary. I just hope we get our money’s worth out him and wouldn’t have been so sad to have seen him leave… and while I’m ranting… who’s name mad the headlines after the monkey hangers game? Not our ever suffering Shola with just as much to have worked hard at over the last few years with a gammy hip newly rejuvinated by 2 goals in 45 minutes. No, it was Michael Limelight and his tap in.

I don’t want the Toon to fall into the bad, sad trap that it did with Shearer in the dark days. One man cannot carry the team. Shearer is a God amonst footballers but now it’s time to restore a team.

• steve

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:00 AM

I’m not keen on strikers as captain. Shearer was someone who would allegedly give out of line players a slap hardly an example which MO is likely to follow.
    I’d prefer someone commanding the team from midfield / defence and if Barton could control his temper and Butt can sustain his form I’d go for one of them.
    Pity we didn’t sign Woodgate I remember watching him controlling the midfield / defence superbly and he would have made the perfect captain

• Andy T

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:55 AM

I think Barton needs to do a bit of work on channelling his aggression proerly – then he will be a captain of the calibre Roy Keane was at Man U, but not this season.
    I think Taylor has the right spirit and has natural leadership qualities, but dont know if he has enough experience yet to be respected and listened to by some of the more senior players. Not this season.
    Owen certainly has the respect of the players and manager and I think could win over the fans if he puts in a few commanding performances in the first few games.
    Butt is a definite candidate, at least for this season, beyond that I dont know if he will be an automatic for the 11, which you really need your captain to be.
    Given, has the experience and the respect, but the ever present niggle of having the goalkeeper as your captain – Very hard to interact with the ref well or intervene and control one of your players or lead by example like an outfield player can. He would need to leverage one of the above candidates anyway.

This season I’d go for either Owen or Butt with the other and Taylor being vice captains.

• Obafan

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:31 PM

I think we need a good leader; like good old Alan was. Last year Parker was not that leader we needed on the pitch; he worked very hard but IMO he wasn’t alsways fortunate in his actions as a player, so I think he lost the leadership over the team on the pitch. Let’s not make the same mistake. I’ve made a list of potential candidates and my thoughts on it if I was the manager ;-):

– Viduka; good experienced and will have lots of respect from his new teammates.

– Owen; can be the leader like good old Alan was in his days. Positive point here is that he said his future is in Newcastle so he would be a very good choice.

– Solano; but I fear he will not play a lot this season + the fact that it will be his last season at Newcastle.

– Given; good choice, but in his goal he can’t control all the parts of the pitch. His position makes it very difficult.

– Taylor; too young; has still to learn + not enough experience

– Butt; very good leader, but will he play all the games???

– Geremi; good and solid player, but I doubt that he will be the leader on the pitch

– Barton; has got the ability of being a new Roy Keane, but he has to proove that he can be a good boy 😉

– Rozehnal: would be a good leader according to his position. but he doens’t know the EPL so I don’t think he will be capable of being the new captain.

So I’ll say go for Viduka or Owen. I prefer Viduka.

All these comments are based on my opinion, so if BS finally chosses aother one than the 2 which I’ve mentioned I would not be disappointed. The main thing for me is having a very good season!!!