Do Newcastle Really Want Julio Baptista?

Real Madrid attacking midfield player and striker Julio Baptista has suggested Newcastle United could be a possible destination for him this coming season. Julio says he wants to first fight for his place with the Spanish champions – Real Madrid.

At first we didn’t think this made too much sense. Why would Newcastle want Julio who was on loan last season to Arsenal?

But maybe Sam sees him as an aggressive goal-scoring midfielder – and that makes a lot more sense to us -even though we already have two good ones in Barton and Emre.

Although as we know Barton is unfortunately out for up to 7 weeks with a broken foot – which may push Sam’s hand in the transfer market for an aggressive physical player like Baptista.

julio-baptista.jpg

Brazilian Julio Baptista
You’re right – he just scored against Argentina in the Copa Americas Final

25 year-old Baptista signed for Real Madrid two seasons ago from Sevilla – but after a disappointing time, he was loaned out to Arsenal as his former Sevilla team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes moved in the opposite direction.

Julio said yesterday:

“I want the chance in pre-season to show our new coach Bernd Schuster I should be a part of his plans,”

“If things do not work out here I will have to look at other options in Spain and England.

“Newcastle is a big club but before I consider a move I need to know about my future with Real.

“I believe I showed at Arsenal last season that I can play in England, score goals and make goals.

“I’m sure my future will be sorted out in the next few weeks.”

Sam Allardyce has often said he’d like to spread the goals around more this season and not rely on one or two of the strikers for all the goals. It may well be that Newcastle could use him as an attacking midfielder.

New Real Madrid coach Schuster – who took over from Fabio Capello at Real recently – could decide to let the Brazilian international go, and the fee is said to be in the region of £6M – as we reported earlier today. It is unusual for Real Madrid to recall players once they have been loaned out for a season – so we would expect Baptista to be on the move. He also fits the type of player Sam likes – very big and strong – Julio is 6′ tall and about 4′ wide. 😀

He has lots of physical presence and could certainly throw his weight around in the Newcastle midfield. He had an excellent tournament at the Copa America for Brazil and scored a wonderful goal in the final against Argentina – he looked a very good player. The more we think about this – the more we like the idea of Baptista possibly joining Newcastle. Of course he can also play up front as a striker – which is less of a requirement right now at Newcastle.

A little history on Julio.

From 2000-2003 he played 73 times for Sal Paulo and scored 10 goals. For the next 2 years (2003-2005) he played at Sevilla in Spain and scored 38 goals in 63 games. From 2005 he has played 56 times for Real Madrid and scored 8 goals.. He scored 8 goals for Arsenal last year – where he was principally played up front as a second striker. He has played for Brazil 34 times and scored 10 goals.

What do you think – would Julio Baptista be a good addition to the Newcastle squad?

Comments very welcome.

• nightfall

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:35 PM

i think emre and dyer are both leaving…plus baptista can also play as DMC… get him! he’ll only get better…barzilians need 1-2 years to completely settle in england…

• TOON1

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I think Baptiste would be a good addition the squad ,although wouldnt be my next signing if i was b.sam.With Dyers future up in the air The Beast could opperate the attacking midfield Role as Barton is now injured.6m is not a bad price considering he is a regular for Brazil.He is big ,powerful ,aggresive and could be what we need in the engine room.Nice of him to compliment the toon as a “Big club ” .My main objective this week would be to make some ground on the DEFENDER search.But b.sam knows best.

• Ed Harrison

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Toon1 – yes we need some defenders this week – Hangeland would be a good first step – then bring in a couple of very good full backs – quickly.

• TOON1

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM

ED -How good is berzagli? ,heard some rave reviews about him.

• Dane Bull

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:57 PM

good signin i feel, would be pleased as we havent got a goalscoring midfielder!! agree with defence tho would like to see cannavaro as he is uncertain bout his future at Madrid

• Elliott

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Emre, a good goal scoring midfielder?

Exactly how many goals has he scored for us?

Don’t make me laugh.

• Shearer 4 pm

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM

what has everyonegot againest emre he is a good player and has already says that he wants to stay and be a part of newcastle in the future so lay off emre as he is loyal

• Torgeir

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Baptista could be a very good signing for Magpies. With strenght and a deadly shot he can score goals from 30 yards and in. His play is simalary to Adriano and I think B Sam can drag the potential out of him.

• graham

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Yes, Emre does sound loyal, but after 2 years as a regular starter (when he’s not injured) he’s spent around 18 months on his arse in the centre circle at SJP and other grounds around England. I like him when he’s on his feet but we need someone who is willing to stay on them. There’s a little bit of me sorry to say this but Emre (or Dyer) out and the beast in!

• Gateshead Glenn

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Baptista was awesome as a centre-forward for Sevilla a few years back even tho’ he was a converted midfielder. He was strong and very quick, with a powerful shot and also decent in the air — a classical British-style CF in fact. I’ve never been that impressed by him in midfield. Altho’ he’s very strong I don’t think he’s got the discipline or positional sense to play the defensive midfield role — he likes to get forward and score goals.

When he went to Arsenal he was played deeper or wider as their style under Wenger has never been typically British. He had a few good games but not enough. He seems determined to try and prove himself back at Madrid which is understandable but has an uphill struggle there. It may be Jan. before he realises that he needs to move-on unless Schuster gives him a push before that. Do Real need the money?

He could be a very good signing for us in the future but more as a striker rather than a midfielder and only if we do lose Martins. Defenders (especially a big ‘stopper’ and a Left-back or 2?) urgently required, as Sam himself says!

• valle

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Changing dyer/emre for a player like Babtista would be nonsense. It would uproot the team even more than it will be anyway because of all the changes and it wouldnt give us any superior qaulity.

• Geordie joe

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:50 PM

I agree with shearer 4 pm, Emre has quality so we should leave him alone because he is a great addition to our squad. But i would also love to see us sign baptista, he was good for arsenal last season but i think he would be even better this season. He is a regular for brazil, Dunga picked him ahead of adriano for the copa america so that must show he definatly could do a job for us.

• valle

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Hmm, dunno what happened to my message. Hope u can get some sense from it anyway…

• Al Robson

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:56 PM

YEAH! julio strated out as a defensive midfielder at sevilla so can take up one of two roles in the midfeild, i reckon he’d be a quality signin spesh for 6mil

beast for toon!

• Ed Case

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:06 PM

No smoke without fire and we have cleearly been in contact with his agents about a move. He’s far better than Emre or Barton and with the latter injured and Emre possibly moving, he’d be a cracking signing.
    Plus he’s really well rated in FM2007.

• Outlaw

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Why waste money on Baptista when the money can be best spent elsewhere? Personally I don’t think Baptista is good enough for the Premier League. It’s more important that we look to bring in atleast 2-3 more defenders before the start of the season. I’m just worried we don’t have anymore injuries until then. Gutted about Barton though. Oh well!

• Owen

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Well I would take Baptista over Dyer thats for sure. The hammers would give enough money for Dyer that we could have Baptista plus a couple of million to put towards top defenders.

That would be good but if not then 6million still wouldn’t break the bank.

As for Emre, I really like him but Baptista gives us options that Emre just can’t, but I could see both of them in our squad.

But please, lets see mor4e defenders coming in, quickly.

• Kash

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:28 PM

EMRE IS NOT A GOAL SCORING MIDFIELDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TheloniousT

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Well Baptista would definitely give us something seriously lacking in our midfield over both dyer and emre, Size and Physical presence. The man is quality and since he has already had a year in the EPL maybe it wont take him to long to adjust to the north-east…i just worry about playing him in the winter months.

• Mac

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Emre has been rubbish for two seasons now. 55 Matches and a return of only 5 goals for the Toon. Now that is statistics which shows he is not an effective attacking midfielder. Also, loyalty is not enough if Newcastle wish to be successful.

Sell Emre (Not effective) and sell Dyer (£80,000 for the drab performances he has been putting on in recent history and it is only a matter of time before he starts crying with another injury).

• Ed Harrison

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM

toon1 andrea barzagli is a very good young player. here’s a piece we did on him.

• Elliott

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:56 PM

I was just saying that Emre is hardly what you’d call a goal scoring mf.

If he plays like he did against Chelsea he’d be worth keeping but for a bid of £7m I think we could replace him with a more effective player. Ie someone who contributes more goals and assists.

• Obafan

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:04 PM

I hope we move for Barzagli first; if you are in the Italian national team selection as a defender than you’re a good one. Never seen him, but I can imagine he would be a massive signing.

As for Baptista; I know last year or 2 years ago he was also linked with NUFC, but nothing happenned. I think it would be a massive signing for us. Strong and technically goos player who already knows the EPL. Now that Barton is already out it would be a very good step forward again.

Emre for me is pure quality, so don’t sell him. Plus he already has said his future is in NUFC, so stop those comments about a deal with Appiah. If all the players were as loyal as he was, it would not have been a dangerous transfer window as it is now (Owen, Martins and their clauses).

Dyer is a special case. One day he can play marvellous but another day it is too much for him to give a descent 5metres (?? inches 😉 ) pass. So for me if we should sell someone let’s sell him.

• Tony

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Whilst Emre hasn’t bagged a hatful, he has shown willingness to run and press the opposition…also no-one can deny his quality on the ball.

I would still prefer us to get Gudjohnson, if possible, over Baptista any day of the week. The Beast did very well as an attacking midfielder for Sevilla, but is he going to fit in with our style of play? Eidur has obvious benefits and now Barca have left him out in the cold, he has to be 1st choice.

…and Ed Case, I don’t think a computer game rating has any relevance in the real world. I recall Ibrahima Bakayoko being top quality in Championship Manager games of old and when he came to Everton…he was shite! Apologies if your comment was a piss-take (which I hope it was!).

• Andy H

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:29 PM

We have already got 4 good strikers at the club and I was looking forward to seeing Carroll play a bigger role this season as his potential as a target man is clear. However, reading about Baptista’s goalscoring record in spain I think he would be a great signing to supplement the forward line and, if he could get those sort of goals he would be undroppable. With the injury problems Owen and Shola have had for a couple of seasons now it is clear they could miss plenty of games this season and with continuing doubt over Luque’s fitness and with Martins away for the African nations I can imagine a really tricky start to 2008.

When I first saw the link with Baptista I was thinking of him solely as an attacking central midfielder to replace Dyer. I don’t think Dyer will leave but I have always felt the midfield needed reinforcing though there has been a complacency amongst fans for a few years that what we have his adequate. Baptista would be perfect because of his presence and if Hangeland comes in as further cover in a defensive midfield slot there will be real height and strength that we have lacked in the past. Many weaker sides have capitilized on this in the past because only the centre backs could defend set pieces ( well only Taylor really).

Emre is an interesting one. I have always liked him but I cannot truly work out what he brings to the side. When he signed I thought he would provide real creativity – clever runs and defence splitting passes (and goals). He hasn’t scored enough or created enough but as with all Newcastle players has suffered countless injury setbacks and hasn’t always looked happy to be here. However, he seems committed to fighting for Big Sam and could be a great asset. He seems to be a more defensive player and his class is clear. I thought last year he was brilliant at times.

I think Baptista could become a real favourite here and from what I saw at the Copa America and towards the end of the season for Arsenal he should settle quickly. On the other hand defence should still be the priority and so if Big Sam wants him he must act quickly and leave time to wrap up some quality defensive signings. The transfer struggle seems to be finding a defender right for us at a reasonable price. If we really want the Beast I think the deal will happen much faster.

• Greg B

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Baptista would be a shrewd bit of business, he has had a season with Arsenal and could go straight into the team. Imagine combinations of Owen/Viduka or Martins/Baptista or a midfield of Milner, Barton, Baptista and Duff, frightening!!
    I for one would love the Beast to sign for us, and 6mil is a snip in todays market.

We just need Barzagli, Emanuelson and Shorey and we will be ready to challenge for 4th place in my opinion. 🙂 forever the optimist

• LiamBirchy8

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:06 PM

We are in desperate need of defenders and midfielders at this time with weeks till the Bolton game.

Hopefully Real Madrid will make Baptista surplus to requirements so that we can sign him. It must be true that we are intrested and we have probably spoke to his agent; he knows we want him and will consider if Real don’t want him. 6m is a good fee for a quality physical player, he could dominate the centre of midfield and play upfront if needed.

Also we need another midfielder. Alou Diarra has moved to Bordeaux, Lassana Diarra will stay with Chelsea and Appiah wants a move to Arsenal. Personally i wouldn’t mind Appiah going to the gooners because it may leave flamini uneeded. He is a great player with a great football mind and would cost no more than 4m. He can play all across midfield and could be our back up left back.

3/4 Defenders are a must.

Hijack Boro’s bid and sign Luke Young for 2.5m.

Sign Hangeland for 2.5m.

Sign Baines for 6m to stop the mackems getting a future england left back.

Sign Curtis Davies or Barzagli for 8m.

Sign Baptista for 6m.

Sign Flamini for 4m.

29m for a good solid squad with depth and quality in it.

• Doctapaul

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Julio Geordio – magnifico.

eth-tha-tha-tha an a rammed it in like.
    Muy Bueno – let’s gan clubbin.

• Ed Case

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Tony – piss-take, of course it was…just makes it easier when playing the damn game if you have a good squad and over-rated players. Shame they never did that with Bramble.

• Cockney Magpie

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:10 PM

PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THAT SUNDERLAND ARE GONNA GET LEIGHTON BAINES!!!!? if that happens i will personally go and give BSA a dry slap!

• Cockney Magpie

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:12 PM

unless in mid swing he tells me Phillip Lahm or Gabriel Heinze or John Arne Riise is on his way i might hold back!

• LiamBirchy8

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:17 PM

cockney magpie, sunderland are the only team who has made an official bid for baines. He has rejected a new contract and unless we move quick then the mackems will have a future england left back.

• Cockney Magpie

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:24 PM

wat is wrong with the newcastle managers!? they should just put us fans in charge! BSA is moaning sayin we arent moving quick enough, well instead of moaning mate put some bids in!! if baines would go sunderland he would deffo come newcastle no doubt about, no excuses this time Sam!!

• Ross G

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:44 PM

The way Sam spoke to Sky about Dyer the other day made me think he was going, and therefore a similar atacking force would be Baptista. I would also like to mention however that Sam was looking at Gudjohnsen, but apparently has almost given up on him and Sam wanted him as a link up player as he has played before and so maybe Baptista is instead an alternative target of a similar position, the guy is so versatile. He played DM when he signed for Sevilla who converted him to a goal every other game striker and he since has become a successful AM. I think maybe him, 2 CB and 1LB will arrive. I would love to see him here as I believe he was only played regularly at Sevilla and he was quality, hence signing for Real. £6m as well is a snip for a 25 year old Brazilian international. Lets get him in then maybe Hangeland, Bridge, and Davies and I must say i think we are short in the holding role as Butt is our only one. I would love to see one of the most underrated players fill that in Lassana Diarra. Please

• michael

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:22 AM

emre can’t score to save himself cut the wheat from the chaff and let him go. i think that sam has his priorities spot on. back room staff first and make the best of what you got. this is a man don’t forget who made michael ricketts an england international! and baptista would be great. it would be the equivilent of getting robinho before everybody knew he was good.

• michael

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:55 AM

and i don’t buy into this one attacking one defensive midfielder theory. Just because chelsea have had success for two seasons with makele. United didn’t have a DM and they won the title. This is a popular misconception exacerbated by people who think football is like a game of championship manager. The best midfielders are the ones who do the most running and are effective when they get to both ends of the field. Keane, Viera, Ince, Gerrard, Robson and hopefully for us Barton. Midfielders only last properly until they are 28-29 then they become the “anchorman”. I for one would like to see specialized “attacking” and “defensive” midfielders cast asunder from NUFC. Bye Emre and Dyer! Midfielders should do both!

• Ed Harrison

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:04 AM

Ross G – Sam on Sky was a bit coy I thought – he kind of smiled when he said it was no good keeping anybody who didn’t want to fight for the shirt. So don’t know if Dyer told him that or what – or it was a warning to Dyer before he talked to him – but Sam’s right on. If Dyer leaves it’s because he wants to go – not that Sam doesn’t want to keep him. But hey – let’s get rid of all of the players who don’t want to be here – then the players can start to be more like the fans – they’ll bleed for Newcastle – that’s what we need and want.

• Paul Gu

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:40 AM

Here in China, we are looking forward to the real interest from your club to our player-ZZ. Does it mean that Baptista is really the one for your need? Or the news about ZZ is just China medias’ dream?

• Len Smith

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Yes we need to buy good solid defenders. The clear out also needs to continue. Dyers a waste of space and has been for years. Nobody even knows what position he plays? Emre has achieved very little since other teams figured out he has no physical presence – basically a dwarf. Any lass from the Bigg Market could bully him out of the game. The beast? Probably a good buy if he fits the teams style. Brazil play English football and Arsenal dont.

• Shaun

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:49 AM

I Think Baptista would be a good signing, the more we sign the better for a good season.