Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
We run a story today on eight defenders we have been linked with in the past and review the case for bringing them to Newcastle.
There seems to be a lot of talent out there still available – the players we review are Leighton Baines, Brede Hangeland, Nicky Shorey, Fabricio Coloccini, Curtis Davies, Edmilson, Andrea Barzagli and Fabio Cannavaro – though we admit there’s not much chance of getting Fabio to the club.
Sam has been talking about how impressed he has been with another of our youngsters – Andrew Carroll – and says some glowing things about the 6’3″ youngster – but Sam has to decide whether to send him out on a season loan or not.
- We are well aware of the frustration both Sam Allardyce and the fans are feeling right now with the efforts to being in new defenders to Newcastle. We run a piece today where we review eight defenders who we have been linked with in the past – and are still available.
Any three of these would be very good if we could only get them to Newcastle. We’d really like your feedback on these players – but as we said – we feel any three of them would seem to be good buys for the club. They’re not priced too high – except for Barzagli who is estimated to cost around Â£11M – but we are supposed to have plenty of money available in any case.
Andrea Barzagli – Italian and Parma center-back
- A story we published late last night on two topics – one was the statement from Joey Barton on his broken foot in which he admits to being devastated by the injury. The other is the news that Newcastle seem interested in Chinese captain Zheng Zhi – who briefly was on loan at Charlton last season. Birmingham are also thought to be interested in bringing Zhi back to England on loan. He can play midfield, central defense or as a striker.
Joey Barton and Zheng Zhi
- Sam Allardyce has been singing in the praises of 18 year-old local striker Andrew Carroll. Carroll has played in both pre-season friendlies and had a good game at Carlisle United on Saturday. Andy is an imposing 6’3″ and right now Sam is not sure whether to keep him at the club this season or send him out on loan. We take a look at what Sam had to say about Carroll and review Andy’s career so far. He can be a great striker for us in the future.
Andrew Carroll – promising young striker
- Good story this morning on another of our youngsters James Troisi and what he has to say about fellow Aussie Mark Viduka. Mark is idolized back in Australia and James compares him to the adulation given to Alan Shearer in England. James has just turned 19 years-old earlier this month – and next season will be an important season for him to get some first team games in – before his current contract runs our next summer.
James Troisi– young Newcastle midfielder
- Here’s some funny football quotes – this is to lighten up the day. 😀
“It’s like a toaster, the ref’s shirt pocket. Every time there’s a tackle, up pops a yellow card.” – Kevin Keegan
“You’re not just getting international football, you’re getting world football.” – Kevin Keegan
“He’s not quite at 110% fitness.” – John Motson
“I’ve lost count of how many chances Helsingborg have had. It’s at least five.” – John Motson
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.